Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2018 EXL.....transmission failure at 5,634 miles

7411 30
I bought an EXL model back in June 2018. Last Tuesday, it started driving sluggishly, and my screen flashed several failure messages incuding transmission emissions failure. I managed to get it to the dealership and was reassured it probably WASN'T the transmission. Several hours later, they called and said the transmission had failed and needed to be replaced. My van only has 5, 634 miles on it. I had just gotten the recommended first oil change 3 days prior. Needless to say, I'm having buyers remorse. I don't want it. I've been going between the dealer and corporate to see what can be done. The dealer called last night (Saturday) to let me know that everything was fixed and cleared for pickup today. I'm waiting until tomorrow so that I can talk to the person handling my claim at corporate. I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna, and didn't replace the transmission until 150,000. It's well over 200k, and still driving well, but I wanted to get something new and keep the old one as backup. The van has never seemed to have as much power, and shifts oddly, but I'm new to the Honda family and thought maybe that was how Hondas are.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
I've always been under the impression that, like some computer components (e.g., hard drives), failures are often most common very early in the life of a vehicle (owing to manufacturing defects or deficiencies) or late in the life of a vehicle (after usual wear-and-tear). In other words, the failure rate is essentially bimodal. I have no idea if this extends to vehicle components like transmissions, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Are there other reasons why you'd walk away from your Odyssey? The transmission is covered under warranty, so it shouldn't cost you anything other than time and convenience (which, as you know, may not be trivial costs).

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
In retrospect, I would have DEMANDED they replace the 9-speed piece of crap with the 10-speed by Honda. The ZF 9-speed from Germany is garbage or at least no where as smooth and quiet as the Honda 10-speed.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly loved it. There were some things that I preferred in my Sienna, but I was excited to have something different. I feel like I bought an apple, and got home and found someone had already bitten it. It's a new car. Even if the warranty covers the transmission, I'm disappointed. Now I have an old vehicle with a replaced transmission, as well as a new one. Beats the point of having gotten a new one. So it's more than just time for me. A transmission is a major part. On top of that, there are alresdy 2 recalls that the dealer can't fox until parts are in.

· Registered
21 Posts
This is the earliest I've heard of a transmission failing in any vehicle, though I'm sure it happens. Failure this early is surely due to manufacturer defect. It probably has no correlation to how long your new transmission will last. However, if you are thinking about seeking additional compensation from the dealer, one thing to consider is the effect of the replaced transmission on the resale value of the car.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the earliest I've heard of a transmission failing in any vehicle, though I'm sure it happens. Failure this early is surely due to manufacturer defect. It probably has no correlation to how long your new transmission will last. However, if you are thinking about seeking additional compensation from the dealer, one thing to consider is the effect of the replaced transmission on the resale value of the car.

That's why I'm going through corporate to see what they can do. My friend's mdx had the same issue when he first purchased it (not at my mileage failure though) They replaced his transmission and gave him 150k warranty.

· Registered
193 Posts
OK, you've got me wondering. What does a replaced transmission do the the value?? Just had mine replaced and I really didn't consider it to be a negative to the value. Can you elaborate?

· Registered
21 Posts
OK, you've got me wondering. What does a replaced transmission do the the value?? Just had mine replaced and I really didn't consider it to be a negative to the value. Can you elaborate?
I really don't know exactly what it would do to resale or trade-in value. What I do know is that if I'm in the market for a late model used car and I find out that one my choices has a rebuilt transmission, I'm probably going to mark it off my list.

If you are going to keep the car 5-6 or more years, then it probably doesn't matter whether the transmission is rebuilt.

· Registered
83 Posts
I really don't know exactly what it would do to resale or trade-in value. What I do know is that if I'm in the market for a late model used car and I find out that one my choices has a rebuilt transmission, I'm probably going to mark it off my list.

If you are going to keep the car 5-6 or more years, then it probably doesn't matter whether the transmission is rebuilt.
We’re talking a new car with a complex transmission. My guess is Honda Corporate would not trust local mechanics to rebuild a new one. What I’ve seen previously mentioned in this forum is the old transmission will be pulled completely and sent to Honda Corporate for failure analysis. A new transmission would be dropped in so there should be no rebuild. That would probably be cheaper anyway as they probably don’t have many rebuild kits out there for a new model and a rebuild will cost a lot more in labor with a greater potential for problems, which I doubt Honda would want for a vehicle with several years remaining in the standard factory warranty. But could be worth verifying.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If you are going to keep the car 5-6 or more years, then it probably doesn't matter whether
the transmission is rebuilt.
We’re talking a new car with a complex transmission. My guess is Honda Corporate would not trust local mechanics to rebuild a new one. What I’ve seen previously mentioned in this forum is the old transmission will be pulled completely and sent to Honda Corporate for failure analysis. A new transmission would be dropped in so there should be no rebuild. That would probably be cheaper anyway as they probably don’t have many rebuild kits out there for a new model and a rebuild will cost a lot more in labor with a greater potential for problems, which I doubt Honda would want for a vehicle with several years remaining in the standard factory warranty. But could be worth verifying.

According to Honda, I got a brand new transmission. It feels choppy, and seems louder than before?. Still waiting for corporate to see what the outcome of my complaint will be.

· Administrator
15,412 Posts
According to Honda, I got a brand new transmission. It feels choppy, and seems louder than before?. Still waiting for corporate to see what the outcome of my complaint will be.
My 2001 V6 Accord went through 2 transmissions at the Honda dealer. They did not feel noisy (or choppy). Are you sure you really have a problem? Not siding with Honda but perhaps you being upset over the failure is causing you to find problems where there are none?

· Registered
2000 EX 253,000 miles
340 Posts
It's a long shot, but see if they will take this one back and sell it as a demo, or keep it around to shuttle customers to and from the dealership. It sure would be nice if they give you a brand new one off the showroom floor. My 2000 transmission was recalled 10 years after I bought it brand new, not months after I bought it. I feel for you for what they are putting you though.

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
Angelasue, the 9-speed is inherently noisy. It rattles like crazy on acceleration. I'm still waiting to see what Honda is going to do about it. They are dragging their feet because there have been very few failures. It's only when they see a lot of failures that they will do something major for us poor saps who were stuck with a piece of crap drive train.

What does this mean to you? If they won't go for v4forever's suggestion, I'd demand a 10-speed to be installed. They are dead quiet and very smooth compared to the 9-speed. Sorry to hear of all the hassles!

· Registered
240 Posts
Will a 10 speed fit in the place of the 9 speed?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

· Registered
11,008 Posts
Will a 10 speed fit in the place of the 9 speed?
Probably not. Different computer program and electrical connectors, possibly mechanical incompatibilities.

Dave

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
That's a good question. On the other hand, isn't it to Honda's advantage that the two systems be close to compatible, for future upgrades? All that would be needed is a software change? In the interests of profit, I would think they would design all things to be re-purposed. I may be wrong though??

· Registered
272 Posts
, I'd demand a 10-speed to be installed. They are dead quiet and very smooth compared to the 9-speed. Sorry to hear of all the hassles!

You can demand all you want, there’s absolutely no chance of it. I know you don’t like your Ody with the 9spd and I think your reply and suggestions has more bearing about your frustration and displeasure than good common sense and thought.

First, there’s a reason the vehicle comes with warrenty. And Honda I s honoring the warrenty here by replacing it with a new transmission.

Just imagine the liability for Honda if the transmission fails and causes an accident.

Second, he bought a 9 speed Ody, why does Honda have to replace it with a 10 spd?

Third, replacing with a 10 spd would produce lots of complications. They are diff transmission with different hardware and software. Just imagine the additional liability Honda would have to incur if that tranny fails and causes an accident.

Fourth, it would literally void his remaining wRrenty, given that it is now modified and is no longer what the warrenty covers.

Fifth, it would be a nightmare come time to sell. Try explaining to the buyer that your 9 spd is actually a 10 spd. As a 2nd hand buyer if stay far far away from it.

In addition, in some states, the title would have to be labeled as “ reconditioned” in that case and that would literally drop the value of his new van in half.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 2001 V6 Accord went through 2 transmissions at the Honda dealer. They did not feel noisy (or choppy). Are you sure you really have a problem? Not siding with Honda but perhaps you being upset over the failure is causing you to find problems where there are none?
I just got it back yesterday. I will see how it goes as I drive it. I'm not a mechanic so I can only compare it to what it felt and sounded like before the transmission failed.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Angelasue, the 9-speed is inherently noisy. It rattles like crazy on acceleration. I'm still waiting to see what Honda is going to do about it. They are dragging their feet because there have been very few failures. It's only when they see a lot of failures that they will do something major for us poor saps who were stuck with a piece of crap drive train.

What does this mean to you? If they won't go for v4forever's suggestion, I'd demand a 10-speed to be installed. They are dead quiet and very smooth compared to the 9-speed. Sorry to hear of all the hassles!

Exactly. That's a better description than what I gave. The loaner that they gave me only had a little over 3k miles on it, and still sounded like that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.