Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a used 2018 Elite and we cannot get the rear tailgate sensor to work. The button works, the key works but we cannot for the life of us figure out the sensor. Is there a off switch somewhere or should be revist the dealership? Thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Waive your foot under the bumper from the back (not too quickly) and the tail lights should flash before the lid status to open or close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
The sensor antennas requires a straight line movement perpendicular to the bumper for maximum detection signal. Do not move your foot from side to side.

Also. If your elite has the trailer hitch.....ensure the sensor bypass/disable switch above the vacuum has been re-enabled to allow the sensor to get power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no hitch, would a switch be inside the vacuum area? Should I see a sensor on the bumper? I’ve been in my driveway moving my foot away looking crazy to my neighbors!

·
Registered
746 Posts
And you have the fob on you while you are standing behind it trying to open it correct? (It won’t open without the fob being near the back)

Do the tail lights blink at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have the FOB and they don’t blink and all. It’s like it doesn’t read anything. Should I be able to see something under the bumper in regards to a sensor?

And you have the fob on you while you are standing behind it trying to open it correct? (It won’t open without the fob being near the back)

Do the tail lights blink at all?

[/QUOTE

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sensor is inside the bumper, you won’t see anything under. Check the fuse at the back near the vacuum to make sure it’s there. Once you open the fuse panel cover, it may have a label showing you which fuse is for the hands free lift. I don’t have the van at home right now so can’t check.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is a test. Ensure you have the fob in hand or pocket. Standing behind the rear lift gate, use the hand depress button to actuate the lift gate with the doors locked.

If this test does not work....replace FOB battery, repeat, report results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both the button on the lift gate and FOB open the tailgate no problem. I’ll call the dealership tomorrow, it sounds like they missed something when certifying it. This is the fuse panel.

this is our first Odyessy and most
Upgraded features we have ever had, we are so lost!

·
Registered
228 Posts
so the lift gate will open with all the doors locked using the button above the license plate with the FOB there?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ok. Then the problem is restricted to the parts in the kit of items for the rear lift gate kick sensor. Time for dealer service intervention. The easy stuff is now covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drove 45 minutes to the dealer and it was fixed in 1 minute. It was turned off in Settings on the infotainment system 🤦‍♀️.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a used 2018 Elite and we cannot get the rear tailgate sensor to work. The button works, the key works but we cannot for the life of us figure out the sensor. Is there a off switch somewhere or should be revist the dealership? Thanks!
Such is the life of a Padawan! The Force is weak with this one. Focus more, it will eventually happen! You must let go!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
No side moving. The kicking motion should work. The sensor detects the movement speed to see if the movement is intended or not. Slow kicking won't work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts