Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was able to purchase and install the OEM homelink dimming mirror for our 2022 EX. Followed the directions to a T and it works as it should. However, this evening I happened to accidentally bump the button to open the garage door while the vehicle was off and it activated the garage door. Again, vehicle wasn't even in accessory mode. So now I'm concerned that the homelink function is on at all times regardless of vehicle status, and should someone break into the van and hit the button they could gain access to my garage.

To those 2018+ with Homelink, specifically 2021 and 2022, can you do a quick test on yours to see if it does the same? If so, I might need to source out the "hot" wire and disconnect it. If not, then something went wrong with my install. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2019 works with ignition off as well. I bet you if the key fob isn’t in the vehicle homelink may not work. Something to experiment tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
My 2019 works with ignition off as well. I bet you if the key fob isn’t in the vehicle homelink may not work. Something to experiment tomorrow.
Possibly Honda designed with the thought of your ODY being in the garage and you opening the garage door first because of possible exhaust fumes happening after starting the ODY and they wanted it to be safe. I too wonder if it is armed when your key Fob on you set's it on, perhaps @tinman143 is right about this.

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
There are recent "concerns" about the homelink having constant power in other vehicles too. My first experience with homelink was with my 1999 Maxima. It is constantly powered and does not need ignition power. The 2007 Odyssey is the same way.

I have sourced new homelink v5 mirrors for both the Ody and CRV (pending install) do not need constant +12v however. Both have to be wired from the ignition switched power source as they have the compass built in.

I have the wiring diagrams for both 2007 Odyssey EX-L R&N and the 2016 CRV-SE where these two mirrors will go to. Both run "switched" power for the factory optional mirrors. I actually purchased Honda wiring harnesses for both. I just need to install them.

Moral of the story is, in the 3rd gen the accessory auto-dimming mirror has a power source but it seems the latest gen runs constant +12 to power the homelink as the separate homelink always had constant power so it seems.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My Homelink in Toyotas works without power on or key present. Pretty much the same as any "clicker" supplied with a garage door opener. Frankly, at my house, if someone wants to break a window to get in, the car window out front is less appealing than the kitchen or bedroom window in the back.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
My audi homelink is off when ignition is off and this bugs me quite frankly.
Apparently, that is a "new" security measure. No idea what statistics they had used to conclude that. The new factory mirror based homelinks at least in the Kias, Subarus and a hoard of other vehicles use the switched ignition wire. Since the new mirror based homelink in the Oddy looks the same as others (frameless Gentex mirrors), one would assume Honda did the same too. The auto-dimming Gentex mirrors with homelink need to be on the switch power source to prevent battery drain. May be that mirror is one of the causes for the numerous battery drain woes the new gens are experiencing?

Reactions: King Kong TO

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
@bravozero the radio stays ON and so do the windows after engine off till you open the driver's door. Can you do a test? Can you turn off the Ody, then open the doors. Ensure the windows and the radio no longer work and then try the homelink?

I think you may have been in that mode with accessory mode on after turning off ignition.

·
Registered
265 Posts
that why I don't program it on my 2014 Accord parking on driveway & never park my Ody outside overnight.

@Ted , stuff in my garage worth more than in my house LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently I was able to purchase and install the OEM homelink dimming mirror for our 2022 EX. Followed the directions to a T and it works as it should. However, this evening I happened to accidentally bump the button to open the garage door while the vehicle was off and it activated the garage door. Again, vehicle wasn't even in accessory mode. So now I'm concerned that the homelink function is on at all times regardless of vehicle status, and should someone break into the van and hit the button they could gain access to my garage.

To those 2018+ with Homelink, specifically 2021 and 2022, can you do a quick test on yours to see if it does the same? If so, I might need to source out the "hot" wire and disconnect it. If not, then something went wrong with my install. Thanks.
I have a 2005 Pilot with Homelink and no key fob, just a regular key. The Homelink works with the ignition on or off so it must have constant 12V power.

·
Registered
2018 Elite V6, Crystal Black Pearl Exterior, Gray Interior
8 Posts
In my experiences with my 2018 Elite, the Homelink always works if the vehicle is unlocked, even without the key in my pocket. I do not know however if it works when the van is locked, but we always lock our van outside anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts