Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First time poster in this forum. I am in the NorCal area and original owner. I need some help with a recent problem. My Odyssey is at 51k miles and still under the power train warranty for another 6 months. Today while driving on the highway I sensed the transmission was jerking and skipping and engine about to lose power. I was with my kids and was terrified but some how managed to pull over to a safe spot. On restarting the engine I started getting Transmission System Problem and Blind Spot information system problem on the dashboard. The vehicle would not engage in R mode and I was unable to back up but was able to move forward but I get flashing R N D S on the dashboard.

To avoid further risk I called AAA and towed it off at nearest dealer.

The vehicle has been taken care of well by us with regular maintenance and is our primary daily driver for our 3 toddlers pick up & drop of duties. I am incredibly concerned that I am seeing major issues with only 50k miles. This Odyssey has had so many issues small and medium including door electronics bad sensors and bad head unit ever since we bought it. I am extremely dejected at Honda and today when I called their customer service they were rude and unsympathetic as well.

I see similar issues in the forum but there is no clear closure on what the issue was. Will this need a transmission replacement? If yes will Honda provide a new one or rebuilt one and will the warranty be extended on the replacement? Does Honda or their dealers typically provide a loaner for this kind of major work?

If any one has had similar issues and had a positive out come fixing this please help advice.

Also attaching the video of the dashboard warnings I recorded:

Thank you

· Premium Member
1,745 Posts
@zathura
On this ODY forum, I have never seen anyone getting a new transmission, only rebuilt ones. Even though Honda has built the 10-speed (they refer to it as a XAT), it has had some problems, but also I have not heard any like yours. Honda will not give out any loaner, so this is one of the failures that leaves people stranded and you must get a rental on your own, unless you have bought the extended HondaCare. Even then they do not cover the rental but for 6 days at $35 a day.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @DJVAN and @feugo. I am still awaiting diagnosis from the local honda dealer. I opened a case with Honda and also filed a NTSB report. No idea what to expect from here on. Also, @DJVAN, here is another thread where another OP reported an issue that's almost exactly what I am seeing - 2018 Touring - 10 Speed Auto - Failure -> Specifically this part is 100% same in my car - <quote> The car would not engage reverse, and started blinking R, and was freewheeling like it was in neutral. Suddenly, the dash indicated transmission system failure + blind spot warning failure. even drive was now blinking D, so the car is completely messed up. </quote>

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on this - The dealer initially tried flushing the ATF fluid and suspected metal parts be there to determine if its a transmission issue. No metal was found. But even after the fluid change, transmission not engaging in reverse in their road test. They have now confirmed the 10 Speed Transmission is busted and It will be full transmission replacement. Also it will be a rebuilt transmission. So no idea on how long this is going to take.

@DJVAN, @fuego - do you know if the replaced transmission will have any additional warranty from Honda.

I am now really dejected that a major component like this failed at 51k miles with proper maintenance. Losing confidence in Honda and worried about long term issues and safety.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,197 Posts
I wonder if many transmissions have been replaced not because of them actually totally failing, but because they had an issue that Honda didn't feel like diagnosing. I have heard that Honda often tells technicians to not bother doing a complete diagnosis a lot of the time and just put in a new transmission in these situations.

· Premium Member
1,745 Posts
@zathura
What I understand is what @bandit400 says above. What ever mileage you have left on your original warranty... Unless you have bought the Honda Care extended warranty. I have not heard anyone say anything negative about the rebuilds yet. But time will tell us. I am starting to have a problem with my XAT, but it is not all the time. When I come up to a STOP sign and let off the brake the ODY slips for about a second or less than goes into 1st gear. The less the throttle the less of a jolt I feel when this happens. It does not happen any other time that I notice. I am almost at 40,000 miles coming up soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.