Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to lunch today and came out to a dead minivan. Dash and infotainment system is ON, but car will not start. Message shows low battery, turn off lights and accessories... I DID NOT leave my lights ON. I think the infotainment system never shut OFF when I was having lunch.

Thought to myself maybe the key FOB have a bad battery, so I walked to Harbor Freight in the same shopping strip and got new CR2032 batteries. Still won't start.

I waited for four tow truck guys and none of them can it jump started or manually shift in to neutral.

Fifth tow guy finally was able to get the car on the Go Jacks and move it out of the parking spot to tow the van to the dealership.

I was stuck at Chick Fil A for over 5 hours waiting for the tow truck guys.

Dropped it off at Russell and Smith Honda, and called Uber for a ride home.

I find out what's wrong tomorrow. Unbelievable!

Edited: summarized my ordeal to make it easier to follow. I was just venting on the original post.

UPDATE: The battery was bad. Honda dealership had to replace the battery with a new one. Everything is working good now. I still need to find out the location and procedure to manually shift into neutral just in case this ever happens again.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
650 Posts
How many miles? You may still be under Honda roadside assistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
31,000 miles. I did call Honda Roadside assistance after calling my Geico insurance roadside assistance. Both are just contracted out by these auto and insurance companies. Neither tow guy knows how to shift the car into neutral manually.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So I went to lunch today and came out to a dead minivan. Dash and infotainment system is ON, but car will not start. Message shows low battery, turn off lights and accessories... I DID NOT leave my lights ON. I think the infotainment system never shut OFF when I was having lunch.

Thought to myself maybe the key FOB have a bad battery, so I walked to Harbor Freight in the same shopping strip and got new CR2032 batteries. Still won't start.

Called my insurance roadside assistance and wait 45-60 minutes, they send a young guy in a toyota corolla with one of those jump starter boxes. Still won't start.

Called roadside assistance back and wait 45-60 minutes, they send the first tow truck guy with jump starter boxes. He tried to jump, won't start. He does not know how to manually shift transmission into Neutral from engine bay. We tried Googling and checked Ody Club forum, but nothing applicable comes up. Only found information on 9 speed transmission. Elite and Touring have the 10-speed. He gives up and leave.

At this point, my iphone battery is completely dead with no way to recharge from the car. I walk over to AT&T store and ask if I can use their charging station. Charged it for a good 15 minutes - just enough juice.

Called Honda roadside assistance thinking of course they should know how to manually shift to Neutral. right? 45-60 minutes later (still charging my phone at AT&T store), 2nd tow guy comes and tries to jump start again. Won't start. He doesn't know how to manually shift to Neutral. Tries Googling again, gives up and leave.

Called local Honda dealership in Houston, waited 45-60 minutes and they send the local tow guy. He also tries to jump start and of course is baffled why it won't start. He looks around engine bay and figure out how to manually shift to neutral. No luck and tells me, I need a tow guy with some special Go Jacks to move the car since we can't get it into Neutral. He calls his friend who's also a tow guy to come.

Waited 1 hour, and fifth tow guy finally was able to get the car on the Go Jacks and move it out of the parking spot to tow the van to the dealership.

I was stuck at Chick Fil A for over 5 hours waiting for the tow truck guys.

Dropped it off at Russell and Smith Honda, and called Uber for a ride home.

I find out what's wrong tomorrow. Unbelievable!
Here is a few pictures of XAT neutral shaft location. Probably need a flashlight a open end wrench (do not know the proper size as I have not attempted to shift in nuetral yet, or a crescent wrench. I have left a flahlight and crescent wrench in my glove box. Never trust a tow company to put it in neutral for you as you have learned the hard way. 9 out of ten times they will drag it onto a flatbed by wench with tires locked up by transmission.
Neutral release for 10 speed transmission.JPG 10XAT cutaway.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Reading these I purchased the tool off of eBay and put in glove box with instructions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Emergency Towing
Call a professional towing service if you need to tow your vehicle.
Flat bed equipment: The operator loads your vehicle on the back of a truck. This is the only way to transport your vehicle.

Notice
Trying to lift or tow your vehicle by the bumpers will cause serious damage. The bumpers are not designed to support the vehicle’s weight.
Improper towing such as towing behind a motorhome or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission.

Parent topic: Handling the Unexpected

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emergency Towing
Flat bed equipment: The operator loads your vehicle on the back of a truck. This is the only way to transport your vehicle.

Notice
Trying to lift or tow your vehicle by the bumpers will cause serious damage. The bumpers are not designed to support the vehicle’s weight.
Improper towing such as towing behind a motorhome or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission.

I've read this in the owner's manual. No mention of the manual shift to neutral procedure if your battery is dead or will not charge. Five "professional towing service" did not know how to put it in neutral. I even called Honda Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a few pictures of XAT neutral shaft location. Probably need a flashlight a open end wrench (do not know the proper size as I have not attempted to shift in nuetral yet, or a crescent wrench. I have left a flahlight and crescent wrench in my glove box. Never trust a tow company to put it in neutral for you as you have learned the hard way. 9 out of ten times they will drag it onto a flatbed by wench with tires locked up by transmission.
View attachment 154169 View attachment 154170
thanks! I had the drawing on the left, but it didnt help me location the shaft. I the live picture on the right is more helpful. I will look again for it this weekend. btw, the technicians at the Honda dealership was useless. None of them can locate the shaft on the 10 speed transmission.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Emergency Towing

Notice

Right, but you need to be able to put the transmission into neutral (or out of park) to pull it onto the flat deck. This should be something made easy by design but for some reason it’s not. Can someone post a picture of it’s location in a photo or a series of photos showing exactly where it is on an actual vehicle? I don’t even know what way is front or top on the picture of the removed transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Right, but you need to be able to put the transmission into neutral (or out of park) to pull it onto the flat deck. This should be something made easy by design but for some reason it’s not. Can someone post a picture of it’s location in a photo or a series of photos showing exactly where it is on an actual vehicle? I don’t even know what way is front or top on the picture of the removed transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I thought I had include a teext box showing the Front/Rear Left/Right sides. I f you look at the picture in prior post the Neutral shaft is on the rear or back side (towards drivers side fender). The left side is towards the front end of the car. I will try and get out Sunday to take the actual pictures and try to get the wrench size for the neutral shaft. This is for the 10 speed only! The exploded view of the transmission towards the bottom right side of the picture with the large gear and whole going through this gear is where the driver side axle fits in. Hopes that will help make some sense.

Reactions: Pjones

·
Registered
40 Posts
So after all these replies no one knows how to do it for a 10-speed? The closest is the diagram and cut away picture?

·
Registered
91 Posts
So after all these replies no one knows how to do it for a 10-speed? The closest is the diagram and cut away picture?

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,423 Posts
It's just plain stupid that you need a special tool to place the car in neutral for towing - especially when so many tow truck operators don't even have a clue how to do it. That's lots of fun at -20 degrees on a cold winter night on a seldom-used road! What the hell was wrong with the good old shift lever??

The same person who designed that probably designed the second-row seats and their inability to fold!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts