Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2018 Odyssey EX-L has recently developed an issue where the infotainment system will stop working. Sometimes it is the Sirius Radio stops working, along with all the other audio inputs. Usually the rear camera stops working at the same time. The last time, wife was driving and reported that the infotainment system "blanked out", with only the "H" symbol showing and the engine started sputtering and went dead. She was able to immediately restart the engine and bring the car back home. She called me and I met her when she arrived and found the engine running like it should but the infotainment system was not working. No visual, no rear camera, and no audio at all. I tried connecting Car Play and bluetooth but neither would connect to the car's system. I cut the engine off and restarted the car, the infotainment system came back up like it should except the rear camera was still not working. It would only display the guide bars that are usually superimposed over the camera's view. Cut the engine off and restarted it again, now everything is working.
We have carried this car back to the selling Honda dealer a few times and they can't find any issues, but she has lost confidence in the reliability of the car. I've done all the OTA updates, and this has been verified by the dealer.
Car has about 20k miles and is out of warranty, so the dealer is less than helpful regarding any solutions.
This is the second Odyssey we have owned. The first was a 2012 that we put 200k miles on with zero issues. We thought the 2018 would be an upgrade but it doesn't look like it so far.
My question is, anyone know of a fix for this infotainment problem? The dealer acts like we are the only folks complaining.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
99 Posts
Is there any chance this could be a grounding problem? I've seen several posts on the 2018+ forum about a loose ground. Some of the posts refer to an issue with Collission Mitigation Braking, but I've also seen reports of other electronic anomalies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Start by checking the battery voltage.
Exactly. I have a thread where I would only get sound from the subwoofer. I could do a factory reset, it would work fine, but once I shut the car off and let it sit before turning back on, the stereo would not work.Long story short, it was the battery dying. The dealership replaced the battery under warranty and it's been working great. Check your battery voltage after the car has been sitting for a while, it should be around 12.6v; mine was 12.2v and was dropping 0.1v per day.

Also, if you have a 2018 and only 20k miles, you should have 1 more year or 16k miles left on the stock warranty.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
2018 model year with 20K miles is still within 3 years/36K bumper to bumper warranty. Am I missing something?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts