Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2018 Ody w Navi/Res transmission/emission warning

2393 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  apdick01
Bought this unit used in great condition, but with high miles at 118,000. Service records showed all service was done at a Honda dealership on the recommended schedule. Since we bought it in early 2021, we put about 4,000 miles on it with no issues other than replacing the battery. We just had it serviced and inspected about a month ago and we figured we'd flush the trans fluid next service just to be sure it was fresh. My wife drove the van for a few small trips around town then parked for most of the afternoon, again, no issues. She calls me frantic later that day because the van won't shift out of park in the driveway and is throwing a laundry list of warnings on the dash. I come home and swap her with our 2005 Ody and proceed to examine the warnings. It was displaying a "stop driving when safe - transmission problem" then "emission system problem", then "blind spot info system problem" and so on. Code pulled was P0841. Has anyone ever had any experience with this?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
P0841 is a transmission pressure switch code, which I guess isn't too surprising given the relatively high mileage. A lot of times one problem can light up multiple error codes on the dash, so I'd look into this first.

Reactions: dashboard47

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0841 is a transmission pressure switch code, which I guess isn't too surprising given the relatively high mileage. A lot of times one problem can light up multiple error codes on the dash, so I'd look into this first.
Thank you for the reply. Is there a common cause that would trigger this code? After reading all the horror stories about these transmissions, I'm already assuming the worst...

· Registered
7,263 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Is there a common cause that would trigger this code? After reading all the horror stories about these transmissions, I'm already assuming the worst...
Yeah...the transmission pressure switch...

· Registered
98 Posts
Is the van still erroring out with all these errors after letting it sit for a while? When did you get your battery replaced? Was it a standard or AGM battery?

The reason I ask is I've read many threads here where a loose connection or bad battery can cause such errors to be all thrown at once and then suddenly disappear.

I have an '18 EX-L that I bought at 99k miles and now has 127k. I wouldn't worry too much about the milage or even the transmission as long as it was properly maintained.

But because of all the electrical gremlins 5th gen Ody's are known for, I'd highly recommend checking the battery connections and test the battery again.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it’s been sitting for a day now. The battery was replaced with whatever autozone had since it happened on a Sunday and that was the only option, I believe it’s a duralast platinum https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...tery-h6-efb-group-size-h6-750-cca/1070711_0_0

Battery terminals are all clean and tight. I disconnected the battery two separate times for 10 minutes and for 30 minutes but it didn’t seem to make any difference. Codes were cleared with the scanner but instantly reappeared as soon as it was started.

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I believe it’s a duralast platinum
You have in the Duralast battery what is called a Flooded Lead Acid Battery (FLA). The batteries most people are getting or GEN 5 ODYs are the Absorbed Gas Material batteries. Depending on what manufacture you buy will have a higher Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) output. They do better in cold weather, the only downside of them is they cost more and cannot be used in a older vehicle that does not the correct charging system for this battery and you cannot use an older battery charger on it. I have not heard of a battery with a Proprietary carbon additive for faster recharge that increases battery life. Sounds like a gimmick IMHO.

· Registered
7,263 Posts
I’m guessing it’s inside the transmission and a shop will have to tear it apart? Debating on having it towed to a transmission shop or to the local Honda dealer at this point.
Assuming you have a Touring/Elite, you'd have the in-house Honda 10 speed AT. I'm not sure if they changed it with this AT (I doubt it, but with Honda these days you never know), but with their past ATs, the pressure switches were located externally and could be replaced pretty easily.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Assuming you have a Touring/Elite, you'd have the in-house Honda 10 speed AT. I'm not sure if they changed it with this AT (I doubt it, but with Honda these days you never know), but with their past ATs, the pressure switches were located externally and could be replaced pretty easily.
Well that’s a bit of a relief. It’s actually the EX-L so from what I understand that’s the 9-speed. I know it doesn’t have a dipstick to check levels. Hoping it’s still external. 😬

· Registered
7,263 Posts
Well that’s a bit of a relief. It’s actually the EX-L so from what I understand that’s the 9-speed. I know it doesn’t have a dipstick to check levels. Hoping it’s still external. 😬
Ah. EX-L. The issue with that is the AT isn't made by Honda. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not external. But I don't know.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah. EX-L. The issue with that is the AT isn't made by Honda. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not external. But I don't know.
Honda just called and said the transmission needs replaced. There diagnostic tree tool says that P0841 code options are 1. troubleshoot an electrical wire/connection or 2. replace the transmission. The day before talked to a few transmission shops that were recommended. Both Honda and transmission shops said these new transmissions aren't meant to be opened or worked on. Basically if it fails, replace it to the tune of $7,480.

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Both Honda and transmission shops said these new transmissions aren't meant to be opened or worked on. Basically if it fails, replace it to the tune of $7,480.
That is a bunch of bull-stuff they are saying to you. However your Honda dealer nor any other car dealer will work internally with the transmission. And the price they are quoting you is full retail price.

Here in Omaha we have a transmission shop that will rebuild the transmission, it is called Certified Transmission. Otherwise you can buy a used one for less than $2000 on ebay and you pay the shipping. These trannies are mostly less than 30,000 miles and some will have a 4,000 mile warranty on them.

It should not be $4000.00 to swap one out either. Honda -it is in the name that we pay for.

· Registered
40 Posts
Honda just called and said the transmission needs replaced. There diagnostic tree tool says that P0841 code options are 1. troubleshoot an electrical wire/connection or 2. replace the transmission. The day before talked to a few transmission shops that were recommended. Both Honda and transmission shops said these new transmissions aren't meant to be opened or worked on. Basically if it fails, replace it to the tune of $7,480.
I paid 9.5k for my replacement 10 speed at 69k miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.