Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for the 50k service as recommended by the instrument cluster. The system displayed the "123" service code.

Dealer quoted the following:

Oil filter and oil change: $79.99
Engine air filter and cabin air filter: $59.99
Tire Rotate: $19.99
Tire Balance: $39.99
Tire Alignment: $139.99
Transmission fluid and filter: $539.99
Total quote: 8 hours and $880 before taxes.

I passed on the transmission flush and filter. Service advisor said it "was recommended but wasn't necessary", but he'd knock 10% off if I did it today. Shady.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,297 Posts
Most of this stuff is stuff that should be done at this time, but things like the cabin air filter and engine air filter you could easily do yourself.

The transmission fluid is important..usually it's recommended to do every 30k miles, though I suppose it's longer for the newer gens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hate to break it to you, I just had my BMW serviced at the dealer for its 50,000 mile service. It was less than that.

Those prices seem high compared to the prices at my Honda dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The oil change and tire stuff services are the same as my dealer. I would ask if the tires services other than the rotation are really necessary.

Skip the filters, buy them online cheap and DIY.

$550 for transmission fluid change is really high. I have a 2018 EX-L with the 9-Speed and was charged $350 for the flush. Not sure if the 10-speed is more complicated, thus the price increase.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you pay for tires balance, why you pay for rotation? To do balance, they should remove wheels anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am cheap.... and don't trust / like crazy dealer markups. I usually change air/cabin filters myself with non OEM parts. Trans fluid I would have bought the fluid myself and have an indy mechanic do it for probably $100 fluid/parts and 1 hr labor, the most:

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,144 Posts
Ask him which code is the one that warrants the transmission fluid change? 5th gen Odyssey's along with most of the current Honda lineup don't have a maintenance schedule and instead have a very complex computer system that takes into account mileage, engine running hours, starts and stops, shifts, type and manner of driving to actually tell you when to perform certain tasks. Much like if you are always on the highway - you can go a lot further between oil change reminders than if all your driving is in stop and go city traffic.
While it is an important service to perform timely, especially if you have an extended powertrain warranty and it's stipulated in the terms, if your car doesn't say you need it - you're probably OK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil change and tire stuff services are the same as my dealer. I would ask if the tires services other than the rotation are really necessary.

Skip the filters, buy them online cheap and DIY.

$550 for transmission fluid change is really high. I have a 2018 EX-L with the 9-Speed and was charged $350 for the flush. Not sure if the 10-speed is more complicated, thus the price increase.
He said the 10-speed push-button transmission is "very complex" and requires 3 hours of labor by the technician. More than half of the $550 quoted is labor hours.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask him which code is the one that warrants the transmission fluid change? 5th gen Odyssey's along with most of the current Honda lineup don't have a maintenance schedule and instead have a very complex computer system that takes into account mileage, engine running hours, starts and stops, shifts, type and manner of driving to actually tell you when to perform certain tasks. Much like if you are always on the highway - you can go a lot further between oil change reminders than if all your driving is in stop and go city traffic.
While it is an important service to perform timely, especially if you have an extended powertrain warranty and it's stipulated in the terms, if your car doesn't say you need it - you're probably OK.
I had the "B123" code which specifies the transmission flush.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you pay for tires balance, why you pay for rotation? To do balance, they should remove wheels anyway.
Agreed. I said "Does the $139.99 for the alignment cover the rotate and balance?" and he said "No, the tire services aren't stackable like that.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,144 Posts
He said the 10-speed push-button transmission is "very complex" and requires 3 hours of labor by the technician. More than half of the $550 quoted is labor hours.
Check with other dealers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I said "Does the $139.99 for the alignment cover the rotate and balance?" and he said "No, the tire services aren't stackable like that.
Sure, wheels alignment completely different job. They don't have to remove wheels for it. But balancing is different. They remove wheels and install them back. So when they said you should pay for rotation, it looks like fraud

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Tire Alignment: $139.99
Wheel alignment isn't part of the prescribed service, unless they observed uneven tire wear. If so, they should have explained this to you. If not, they should not have added this item.
Transmission fluid and filter: $539.99
Tranny fluid and filter is prescribed service. Their dismissing it as "wasn't necessary" was irresponsible. Sure, the car won't stop running if it's not done, but it's factory-prescribed preventative maintenance that will add many miles to the life of the car.

This seems to be an unscrupulous dealer. Start again with a different dealer and compare before having anything done.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Silly comment. Everyone know you need a second person to keep track of where the tires go to after being balanced. Can't expect a single tech to do that too!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Everyone know you need a second person to keep track of where the tires go to after being balanced
I'm vehicle tech with 15 years experience... And now I learned something new. Next time when I gonna do similar job, I no gonna mark wheels by chalk, I gonna look for another person😎
Also, do you know how that second person keep tracking where wheels should go? He just trying to remember position for each wheel? Or mark it by chalk like I do, working alone?

·
Registered
964 Posts
No chalk needed. That would require ability to write, silly.

Second guy goes and stands where wheel is supposed to go. Like, I take off rear wheel to go balance. Helper goes and stands by front wheel on same side. I walk toward him when coming back with balanced wheel. He takes tire from me, while I remove front tire and set aside.

He puts wheel onto front studs, and I , as master tech, install lug nuts. Then I go balance, he goes and stands by the rear wheel position so I know where to go when I come back after balancing.

Then we do it all over again on the other side.

Got it?

The OP does seem to have gotten a break, in that there was no parts charge for the weights. I thought that was special the first (and last) time I had a dealer service dept. balance tires, 44 years ago.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No... Still don't understand, why client should pay two times.
Tire Balance: $39.99
Lift vehicle, remove wheels, put on stand, balance it, remove from stand, put your helper on the position, he will tell you where to put wheel, put wheels back.
Tire Rotate: $19.99
Lift vehicle remove wheels, put your helper on the position, he will tell you where to put wheel, put wheels back

So, can you explain now, why client should pay for rotation, if he did balancing?
May be technician did extra work?
Honesty, if some shop would try to make me pay this way, I would ask them to do full process for balancing including installation wheels, torque them and put vehicle on the ground, and after to do tire rotation. So again lift vehicle remove wheels, rotate, put wheels back etc...
If i pay twice, job must be done twice.
Hope my explanation is clear, with my weird English.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts