Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Did the provincial health care pay for your humorectomy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aside from the transmission flush, nothing really seems that far out of line for the dealership premium. Yes, it's expensive when you do all these things at once... but they need to be done... So I don't really get the comparison to a BMW. Add $50 to all these numbers and you'll get the BMW service cost. 🤷‍♂️
Oil filter and oil change: $79.99 - Reasonable for a dealership
Engine air filter and cabin air filter: $59.99 - These 2 filters, OEM Honda, are $45 total if you buy from an online dealer.
Tire Rotate: $19.99 - Reject this charge if you get wheel/tire balance. They take the wheels off the car anyway. I've rejected this dealership attempt before and they didn't push back -- they just said, "You're right" and took it off.
Tire Balance: $39.99 - Reasonable for a dealership
Tire Alignment: $139.99 - Would expect more like $120 from a dealership
Transmission fluid and filter: $539.99 - I've never spent more than $200 on a transmission fluid exchange/flush on a vehicle - but also never done it on a 9/10spd modern transmission like this. Would get another dealer quote on that (just call them) to compare -- or wait for some more input from people here.
If you're out of warranty and don't have an extended warranty, can you just take it to the most reputable, non-dealership, shop in your area?

Reactions: 993Targa

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oil change sounds expensive but prices have been creeping up recently. Out of the two local dealers, one offered free lifetime oil changes and the other only offered 2 free ones. Guess which one I bought my 2021 from?

Engine and cabin air filter are absolutely DIY items.

Tire rotation price is reasonable.

I don't think balancing is needed that often? Seems like the balance and alignment should go hand in hand. Alignment they recommend every 3 years I think, that price isn't that bad.

Transmission price is inflated by $200 or so.

All said that's an expensive dealer. You sure it wasn't an Acura dealer? ;)

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Get a lifetime alignment at Firestone. I get it done twice a year for 9 years now, and something is "knocked out" every visit. I've had at least18 alignments for the $189 I paid when purchased.

Tires I buy at Discount Tire. They rotate and rebalance twice a year or more if I feel a vibration... all at no charge.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have 237k miles on my 2014 Transit Connect delivery van. I rotate every 5k religiously, perfect tire wear, never done an alignment.

Unless your vehicle isn’t Tracking straight or has uneven tire wear, I’d skip it.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,308 Posts
Get a lifetime alignment at Firestone. I get it done twice a year for 9 years now, and something is "knocked out" every visit. I've had at least18 alignments for the $189 I paid when purchased.

Tires I buy at Discount Tire. They rotate and rebalance twice a year or more if I feel a vibration... all at no charge.
And this is why my alignment intervals have gotten longer. It's hard to find a place that does alignment that won't try to upsell you, so I end up having to wait until I go to my regular mechanic for some kind of service (he's somewhat far away from where I live, else I'd just go there whenever I needed an alignment) and then I can have him do it, since I trust that he won't try to upsell me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a transmission filter in Odyssey, and need to be replaced regularly?

Does Honda maintenance schedule require a transmission fluid flush? I thought just drain and fill, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,308 Posts
Is there a transmission filter in Odyssey, and need to be replaced regularly?

Does Honda maintenance schedule require a transmission fluid flush? I thought just drain and fill, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What Honda calls a flush is just a 3x drain and fill

·
Registered
6 Posts
After tire rotation do the TPMS sensors need to be reprogrammed so the car knows how to display the tire pressure and mounting location?

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
621 Posts
Don't forget about the blinker fluid. That's more important than the transmission fluid.

OP, look for another dealership and do what you can yourself and take the van to places where @John U mentioned for your tire service. That dealership is just trying to milk you for every penny like they are known to do.

Oil filter and oil change: $79.99 - RIP OFF. If you're able to do an oil change yourself, just order the WIX Oil filter here for $10 and buy your oil online too, something like Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum 0W-20 for ~$20 (5 quarts). (I usually buy 2x 5 quart jugs to save some money, but if buying just 1x 5 quart jug you'll need to by another single quart along with the 1x 5 quart jug.)

Engine air filter and cabin air filter: $59.99 - RIP OFF. Order this cabin air filter for $13.50. I've been using this in all the cars and it has lasted longer than the FramBreeze. Engine Air Filter wise I'd recommend WIX Part #WA10339. Excellent Air Filter for ~$22.

Tire Rotate: $19.99
Tire Balance: $39.99
Tire Alignment: $139.99 - RIP OFF
Take this to the tire shops so that you can take advantage of the free rotations, balancing etc... Most all major tire places will do an alignment check for FREE. Ask for a print out with the alignment data and keep that for your records. If you need one, well you need one and it's highly recommended. Most places will do an alignment for around or under $100.

Transmission fluid and filter: $539.99 - RIP OFF
If you have an extended warranty, this is the only thing that I would suggest maybe shopping around among the different Honda dealerships to see who can provide this services for the best price. You can buy your own genuine OEM Honda Transmission Fluid and just pay for labor at the dealership, which will save you some money as they mark up their transmission oils like everything else.

Total quote: 8 hours and $880 before taxes.
Just know that you're dealing with scum bags with most dealerships. There are a few good people in some of them, but at the end of the day it's all about milking customers and taking advantage of the innocent for them. $880 is way too much for all of this. It's good that you came here to get some feedback..

Best of luck and let us know if you need any additional help or info.

Reactions: ArmyCa

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L - maroon
10 Posts
Went in for the 50k service as recommended by the instrument cluster. The system displayed the "123" service code.

Dealer quoted the following:

Oil filter and oil change: $79.99
Engine air filter and cabin air filter: $59.99
Tire Alignment: $139.99
Transmission fluid and filter: $539.99

I passed on the transmission flush and filter. Service advisor said it "was recommended but wasn't necessary", but he'd knock 10% off if I did it today. Shady.
While I appreciate all the comments about the cost of THIS job.... you are apparenlty looking at 50,000 trouble-free miles, which cost you about 1.76 cents per mile.... interesting.
Compare that to about 12 cents/mile for my mercedes...
My honds CR-V is average 2.1cents/mile and is at >100K miles.
Our Ody is <5K... nothing so far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aside from the transmission flush, nothing really seems that far out of line for the dealership premium. Yes, it's expensive when you do all these things at once... but they need to be done... So I don't really get the comparison to a BMW. Add $50 to all these numbers and you'll get the BMW service cost. 🤷‍♂️

If you're out of warranty and don't have an extended warranty, can you just take it to the most reputable, non-dealership, shop in your area?
It is illegal for any manufacturer to void your warranty if you don't have the dealer service the vehicle.
You do not have to have the dealer service your vehicle ever.
If you don't like the prices any mechanic shop can perform the service just verify they use manufacturer approved fluids and keep your receipts for any work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Most of this stuff is stuff that should be done at this time, but things like the cabin air filter and engine air filter you could easily do yourself.

The transmission fluid is important..usually it's recommended to do every 30k miles, though I suppose it's longer for the newer gens.
I have a drain and fill done on my 05 at about 8k when I change my motor oil and filter. I have about 210k with no problems with tranny. I was told years ago by an experienced mechanic I trust that to allow tranny oil to go 50 k is asking for a dirty tranny and early failure. He told me to inspect the magnetic drain plug for black sludge. The tranny holds about 8 quarts and a drain and fill only gets 4 quarts out so it’s not so radical as you think. We have several Odysey owners in the family and we all notice smoother shifting after an 8k drain and fill. I have heard nightmare stories about flushes knocking loose so much crud at one time in very dirty transmissions that they get much worse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No... Still don't understand, why client should pay two times.
Lift vehicle, remove wheels, put on stand, balance it, remove from stand, put your helper on the position, he will tell you where to put wheel, put wheels back.
Lift vehicle remove wheels, put your helper on the position, he will tell you where to put wheel, put wheels back

So, can you explain now, why client should pay for rotation, if he did balancing?
May be technician did extra work?
Honesty, if some shop would try to make me pay this way, I would ask them to do full process for balancing including installation wheels, torque them and put vehicle on the ground, and after to do tire rotation. So again lift vehicle remove wheels, rotate, put wheels back etc...
If i pay twice, job must be done twice.
Hope my explanation is clear, with my weird English.
Local guy who has wheel alignment shop looked at my 05 because it was pulling to the right. After measuring he showed me that alignment was perfect and asked me if I cross rotated tires. He told me I had under inflated tires, and told me to do front to back only on these tires. He said that Odys needed alignment only after accidents and or suspension damage. He refused to charge me. I changed the tires around like he told me and pulling completely stopped. Was I blessed or not? He also told me that Honda shocks get huge mileage and rarely need changing unless leaking or bent. Uneven bouncing is a sign of a blown shock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wheel alignment isn't part of the prescribed service, unless they observed uneven tire wear. If so, they should have explained this to you. If not, they should not have added this item.

Tranny fluid and filter is prescribed service. Their dismissing it as "wasn't necessary" was irresponsible. Sure, the car won't stop running if it's not done, but it's factory-prescribed preventative maintenance that will add many miles to the life of the car.

This seems to be an unscrupulous dealer. Start again with a different dealer and compare before having anything done.
See my comment below about 8k 4 quart drain and fills.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also cheap when it comes to repair work. I go to Costco for the tire balance and rotation and they do it even if you didn’t buy the tires from them. That costs a bit under $30. The lifetime alignment from Firestone cost $120 cause they usually have a sale on it or will usually take $20 dollars off to buy it. I found a personal mechanic who does all the work and is always fair priced. The only thing he couldn’t fix was a check engine light and after changing the part it was still on. So I did have to take it to Honda cause even Firestone was charging the same price as Honda to diagnose the problem. Took it to Honda and they o iginally said the whole cpu. Ended to be changed but before they change it they want to try one thing and it worked but still came out from Honda $800+ just for that. Ouch. Some things even my mechanic tells me to go get from Honda, like transmission oil. So bottom line is you have to be smart and especially cautious before just taking it to Honda. Other places do the same thing for way less.
Thanks, sorry for being so long winded.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
He said that Odys needed alignment only after accidents and or suspension damage.
Well this person who does front-end alignments must have been only working just a day. You can cause alignment problems by hitting a curb, or driving through a chuck hole that was way too deep. Even frost heaves in abutment at bridge approaches. Heck drive over a speed bump to fast and there you are out of alignment. None of these items have to cause suspension damage or they can.

Reactions: unlock42

·
Registered
1 Posts
It appears that service centers are making up for lost business by recommending unnecessary services. I took my 2010 Corolla to the local dealership for an oil change and they suggested I do an alignment correction (that they found out from a camera fitted at the entrance door???), transmission fluid flush and a number of other changes.

Went in for the 50k service as recommended by the instrument cluster. The system displayed the "123" service code.

Dealer quoted the following:

Oil filter and oil change: $79.99
Engine air filter and cabin air filter: $59.99
Tire Alignment: $139.99
Transmission fluid and filter: $539.99

I passed on the transmission flush and filter. Service advisor said it "was recommended but wasn't necessary", but he'd knock 10% off if I did it today. Shady.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts