Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2018 Odyssey EX - Transmission Slipping

31454 43
Hey Folks,

New to the forum. Did a search for a similar issue before posting, but couldn't find anything that seemed to match my issue. If this is addressed on another thread I apologize and please point me to the thread.

My transmission seems to be "slipping". When starting from a stop I'll press the gas and there is a noticeable delay before the vehicle starts moving and when it does engage it's a bit of a jerk (not smooth). When the van is moving I don't notice the issue until I come to a stop again. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with their new van (7,000 kms). I've got a service appointment for November 28th, but wanted to see if others experienced this. We're 4 months in to a 5 year lease so this is concerning me that we're already having transmission issues. I have Honda Plus for the life of the lease, but man, what a pain.
Reactions: OdyMom10
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Is ECO Mode ON? If yes then turn it off and try. If that solves the problem then most likely it’s just the way the computer has learned. I feel the delay as well when taking off from stop when in ECO mode but not in normal mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
297 Posts
Hey Folks,

New to the forum. Did a search for a similar issue before posting, but couldn't find anything that seemed to match my issue. If this is addressed on another thread I apologize and please point me to the thread.

My transmission seems to be "slipping". When starting from a stop I'll press the gas and there is a noticeable delay before the vehicle starts moving and when it does engage it's a bit of a jerk (not smooth). When the van is moving I don't notice the issue until I come to a stop again. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with their new van (7,000 kms). I've got a service appointment for November 28th, but wanted to see if others experienced this. We're 4 months in to a 5 year lease so this is concerning me that we're already having transmission issues. I have Honda Plus for the life of the lease, but man, what a pain.
Sounds like a torque converter issue. How long is your lease?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a car guy - reading pages of technical jargon means nothing to me. I posed the question because others that are viewing this thread might want all the information about the "classic ZF 9 speed problem" in one spot and perhaps someone with more knowledge could succinctly explain the problem as opposed to me searching through webpage upon webpage of dated articles that don't make sense.

· Registered
5 Posts
This is almost 2 years old article..... a lot has changed since then
I've been driving my new 2018 Ody with "Classical ZF 9 speed gear" about a month,
and I really like the smoothness and gentle ride of this vehicle.
It is a Honda made vehicle and they've been on the market for long time.
I dont think they are stupid enough to release a vehicle with faulty engine.
(Well.. maybe you got the lemon if not so lucky )

· Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Don't read the current gen Pilot forum then, nor the previous gen Ody forum. lol.
This is funny - and sadly true. I hope jyu2848 has exactly the kind of experience they are expecting. Fortunately, I think most of us do.

· Registered
5 Posts
This is funny - and sadly true. I hope jyu2848 has exactly the kind of experience they are expecting. Fortunately, I think most of us do.
Yeah... I know most people here looking for the answers of their issues.
I am here Reading all topics cuz maybe there are some hidden problems
that I am not aware of.
I am sure I will ask for some help in the future LOL
It is very nice to be a member of Ody Forum.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah - it comes and goes. After reading about the vehicle engine "learning" how you drive and adjusting for your driving style it's possible that could be the issue? We bought the van in June and I drove it almost 99% of the time until October when the new little one was born. Then, because my wife was home and was looking after the 3 kids, she needed the van so she has been driving it probably 90% of the time. Is it possible that the engine is re-learning based on her driving style and therefore the transitions aren't as smooth?

· Registered
1,050 Posts
yeah - it comes and goes. After reading about the vehicle engine "learning" how you drive and adjusting for your driving style it's possible that could be the issue? We bought the van in June and I drove it almost 99% of the time until October when the new little one was born. Then, because my wife was home and was looking after the 3 kids, she needed the van so she has been driving it probably 90% of the time. Is it possible that the engine is re-learning based on her driving style and therefore the transitions aren't as smooth?
Wishful thinking. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.