Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had nothing but problems with Electrical, car play and more. Coming to a stop the car turns off, not park, engine turns off. The car went into neutral while driving 60 on the freeway. I took it in, they flew a technician in to look at it and said maybe a battery terminal issue as nothing recorded. Said they fixed it and now, two weeks later with kids in the car the thing went into neutral while driving again, I was almost rear ended. its Dangerous. Has anyone had any luck turning in a lease for these sort of dangerous issues? Are they liable if an accident accused because of this?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with Electrical, car play and more. Coming to a stop the car turns off, not park, engine turns off. The car went into neutral while driving 60 on the freeway. I took it in, they flew a technician in to look at it and said maybe a battery terminal issue as nothing recorded. Said they fixed it and now, two weeks later with kids in the car the thing went into neutral while driving again, I was almost rear ended. its Dangerous. Has anyone had any luck turning in a lease for these sort of dangerous issues? Are they liable if an accident accused because of this?
Tell Honda to replace the whole section of buttons that you use to park, drive etc. Maybe something wrong there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Denise, your car has a serious issue. They fly a tech in and all he can come up with is "a loose battery terminal?" As Digital says, the button array may be the problem but it could also be one or more problems in a very complex system. Your car is still under warranty, correct? I would take it to the dealer and park it until they fix it. This is not an inconvenience item like poor radio reception. This is under the category of "safety." They need to take this very seriously. A few other members on this forum reported the same thing. Please keep us in the loop. Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Denise, your car has a serious issue. They fly a tech in and all he can come up with is "a loose battery terminal?" As Digital says, the button array may be the problem but it could also be one or more problems in a very complex system. Your car is still under warranty, correct? I would take it to the dealer and park it until they fix it. This is not an inconvenience item like poor radio reception. This is under the category of "safety." They need to take this very seriously. A few other members on this forum reported the same thing. Please keep us in the loop. Thanks.
Tell them to give you a loaner and they keep the van until it’s fixed. Also write all this down in email and send to Honda so there is written record including the fact that they let you go earlier after checking battery terminals.

Write in the email that you will look to peruse legal options if something happens.

They should and will fix it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Tell them to give you a loaner and they keep the van until it’s fixed. Also write all this down in email and send to Honda so there is written record including the fact that they let you go earlier after checking battery terminals.

Write in the email that you will look to peruse legal options if something happens.

They should and will fix it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's probably electrical. Weren't these transmissions recalled because they would go into park while driving if there was an electrical hiccup so they were reprogrammed to go into neutral instead(as if that's a great alternative)? If I were a tech that is where I would start, and hence why they started at the battery terminals.

Found it: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/25/honda-odyssey-minivan-recall-transmission/

Sound like a new battery may solve it, but I'd let the dealership figure that out on their own.

Are you having difficulties getting the dealer to inspect and fix? I'm usually game for confrontation, maybe you have your own approach.

Storm into the dealership at a busy time (not near closing time) having dressed very nicely and parked the sparkling clean van right in front of the sales doors where everyone can see it each time you loudly point to it and raise hell in the sales area. Start with YOUR salesman, not the service department which is conveniently separate from the sales floor, and refuse anything short of them taking the van and giving you a loaner until they solve the issue, or the even more challenging lease take-back. You have to keep your composure though or you just come across as a crazy irrational person.

Salesman: why don't you go over to service about this?
You: (starting softly and getting progressively louder) We're going to take care of this now, and you sold me this thing (pointing at van),so you're in it with me. Why don't we have service come over here and the 3 of us will work this out right here (keep him on the floor with you, don't let him run away, so you motion to another person to have THEM get a service person over to the two of you). I'm a busy person, but I cleared my afternoon for just this, so I'm not leaving until we work this out. That van (pointing at van) is such a hot mess Honda themselves flew a tech out here to look at it and even they couldn't make it work, but we're going to solve this right here and now and begin the "airing of grievances" listing everything wrong about the van.... Eventually a service person will show and you get to do an encore presentation on the sales floor.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Look up the lemon laws in your state too, it's good to be aware.
Here in Louisiana we have a three strike rule, my boss had a new Dodge Viper years ago and six months later he handed them the keys and told them he wanted his money back.

They had no choice he was refunded everything closing costs and all!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Look up the lemon laws in your state too, it's good to be aware.
Here in Louisiana we have a three strike rule, my boss had a new Dodge Viper years ago and six months later he handed them the keys and told them he wanted his money back.

They had no choice he was refunded everything closing costs and all!
In some states you are time-limited for how long you have to invoke lemon laws. For example, in my state of Virginia you have 18 months from the day you bought the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) as soon as possible. As others have said this is a potentially deadly safety issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) as soon as possible. As others have said this is a potentially deadly safety issue.
I don't disagree that it's a safety issue, I also believe that it's functioning as intended (ridiculous as it is) because pre-recall the van would be going into 'park' rather than 'neutral'. Talk about a puckering event. The root issue is likely an electrical problem, probably the battery itself, which means every G5 owner can anticipate this as a possibility as the batteries age. 🙄

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If Honda says that going into neutral is normal, they need to re-examine their engineering. The safest car on the road is one that is under power AT ALL TIMES. It should be our choice to throw a car into neutral when (for example) you have a runaway throttle or some similar impending disaster. Putting a car in neutral on a slippery road is suicide. They are dead wrong!

Edit The exception, of course, is with manual transmissions when you declutch to switch gears but that's only for a brief time. Some people depress the clutch pedal and coast long distances to stop signs and red lights. That is not only dangerous but it prematurely wears out brakes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Without that recall I posted about earlier in this thread, this video shows what would be the alternative, you can hear the parking lock grinding away = new transmission and the reason for rollaways when in park after this type of event(read the video comments, this is not an isolated event).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ruralguy, that's incredible!!! You have actual video evidence. Honda needs to take this very seriously!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ruralguy, that's incredible!!! You have actual video evidence. Honda needs to take this very seriously!!!
It's not my video, I just plucked it from youtube. I assume it was this video and other reports that Honda off their butts to do a recall in the first place. The author says at first Honda was refusing to acknowledge and issue.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow and here I thought our '18 Elite was a POS for jumping itself into Suspended Animation (or neutral) several times per week on slow turns with oncoming traffic. Same sensation as with a manual trans if you pushed the clutch pedal to the floor - engine is running, RPM is at idle, but there's zero power for 4-6 seconds or so. But this video shows I have a minor problem!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Actually Jeff999, if a car drops into neutral while you're attempting a left turn and there's oncoming traffic at a safe distance, only to find you have no power - that's damn dangerous! All of a sudden those oncoming cars are no longer at a safe distance. Meanwhile, your Ody's computer is off in la-la land somewhere!!! You could get killed just as easily. No car should drop into neutral for any length of time except to step up or down through the various gears. Anything longer than a split second or so is totally unacceptable.

Mine is starting to do that more often. After I make a turn, I press the gas pedal and there's a 3 second or so delay before I get power. One guy almost hit me from behind. He shouldn't have been following that close but it happens.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Honda came out with the call to do software update for transmission and check battery terminal. Are these issues happening after the recall was done?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honda came out with the call to do software update for transmission and check battery terminal. Are these issues happening after the recall was done?

The recall 'fixed the problem' with vans going into 'park', which grenaded the transmission and then also allowed the vans to roll away while in park. The 'fix' was to have vans go into 'neutral' instead. Lol. The root cause remains, which has to do with how the transmission computer power supply operates.

Basically, as the vehicle battery ages/gets faulty in these vans, expect this issue to become more common.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts