Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I have had nothing but problems with Electrical, car play and more. Coming to a stop the car turns off, not park, engine turns off. The car went into neutral while driving 60 on the freeway. I took it in, they flew a technician in to look at it and said maybe a battery terminal issue as nothing recorded. Said they fixed it and now, two weeks later with kids in the car the thing went into neutral while driving again, I was almost rear ended. its Dangerous. Has anyone had any luck turning in a lease for these sort of dangerous issues? Are they liable if an accident accused because of this?
Sorry to hear about this, but there should have been a PCM update on the transmission control module.
You just reminded me of @DisappointedOdyOwner in the way of how things transpired; comical that you say they flew someone in to check your issue 馃槅 .
Documentation of any and all repairs are all housed in very dealership and also proper techs to deal with it. When something is beyond troubleshooting, lead techs are able to call Honda for assistance, via phone.

If you are able to prove that the vehicle shifting into neutral caused the accident, then yes, but I wonder how you get into an accident when your car shifts to neutral? If you truly believe the car is a lemon, you are more than welcome to exercise the full extent of the provisions within Lemon Law in your state's jurisdiction.

Registered
I had all the recalls done...didn't fix the No Power issue. Dealer tried to make the van stumble/hesitate and couldn't replicate during short test drive.
Problem doesn't provide an error code in the OBD system. Have had a case number for over 2 years with Honda Tech support at Corp; no help there.
Next step is to let dealer have the van for a few days (?) with a free loaner; they'll attach a laptop to OBD port with special software to try to isolate and/or trap the problem.
Time will tell but this has to be happening to a lot more folks than the handful on this board. FYI I purchased the Elite in July 2017 and it has 23k miles on it now.

Registered
That is crazy! It鈥檚 hard to believe that a battery would cause this but with these new cars. I鈥檓 a master mechanic. We had issues with Chrysler transmissions going into limp mode or 2nd gear years ago but I鈥檓 pretty sure they fixed it. Sounds like Honda鈥檚 limp mode is now neutral! Maybe they should pick 4th gear instead of neutral.
Hopefully the computer plugged into the data port will capture the event. And then the software engineers can fix it. And if 2 people on here are having this event then there probably is hundreds!
Sorry this is happening to you!

Registered
Here's the actual recall from Honda. Note, the recall is only for '18/'19 Odysseys, but ALL 10 speed Odysseys are susceptible to the issue of low voltage causing the transmission to go into 'neutral', that wasn't fixed, what was fixed was they no longer go into 'park' during such a scenario. Also, Honda never calls out a vehicle shifting into park unintended while moving as being a safety risk. It's very telling where their heads are lately.

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:19V-299
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:Y4K (also Z4J)
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2018-19 Odyssey 10AT Trans Replacement Park Logic Safety Recall
RECALL DATE:04/11/2019
RECALL STATUS:17 Character VIN Required
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain 2018-2019 model year Odyssey vehicles. Low voltage situations resulting from loose battery terminal connection(s) or a degraded battery could cause the Transmission Control Unit to reboot and shift the transmission to Park. If the transmission shifts to Park while the vehicle is being driven, the parking gear could become damaged and, as a result, be unable to secure a vehicle that is shifted to Park without application of the Electronic Parking Brake.
SAFETY RISK:
An unsecured vehicle may move unexpectedly, increasing the risk of a crash or personal injury without prior warning.
REMEDY:
Please call any Honda automobile dealer and make an appointment to have the battery terminals tightened to specification, the Transmission Control Unit software programming updated and, if necessary, the transmission replaced for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda Customer Support and Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.

Registered
Without that recall I posted about earlier in this thread, this video shows what would be the alternative, you can hear the parking lock grinding away = new transmission and the reason for rollaways when in park after this type of event(read the video comments, this is not an isolated event).

In the comments of the video, the owner posted that Honda replaced the entire transmission and battery terminal including all wiring and it resolved the issue. He comments that he hasn鈥檛 had any issues since, so those of you experiencing this should push for at a minimum full replacement of the battery terminal and wiring. Post recall you may not need a new transmission if your vehicles shift to neutral instead of park.

Maddening but seems solvable.

Registered
It happened to our EXL '18 four months after purchase. Had it towed to the service service but, they couldn't find anything wrong. A technician connected a laptop and took it home. He found the transmission computer to be defective so it was replaced and that was the end of the problem. As others have said, what you have a mayor problem

Registered
It happened to our EXL '18 four months after purchase. Had it towed to the service service but, they couldn't find anything wrong. A technician connected a laptop and took it home. He found the transmission computer to be defective so it was replaced and that was the end of the problem. As others have said, what you have a mayor problem
Joselo - might you have the Honda service department's documentation of exactly what module they replaced to fix that problem? If not, even the dealer's name would help as I'm trying to get my Ody fixed BEFORE there's a serious accident. I sent an email to you via OdyClub; thanks in advance!!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts