Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the 9-speed transmission on I most frequently get a 1-3 second lag on accelerating from a stop early in my driving session, especially when accelerating from 0 after the first complete stop after the first movement forward in drive. I press the pedal down and get no reaction, no rev, for 1-3 second, then it kicks in and works fine. Often this is getting out of the parking lot, or in turning on to the first busy street from a side street.

It might happen once more on the next stop or slow roll. Then for the rest of the driving session, no problems.

This issue isn't enough to get upset about, but it sure is annoying--and potentially dangerous if I'm trying to get out of the way of another car or pull into traffic.

This thread on Reddit seems like the same issue, but I haven't found any matching issue here. There probably is a thread somewhere but I cannot find it. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix?

· Registered
25 Posts
I have this issue intermittently. The engine revs up without delivering any power to the wheels for a couple seconds. I haven’t taken the vehicle to the dealer yet since I couldn’t identify a definite pattern to reproduce the issue.

· Registered
2019 Odyssey EX
164 Posts
See if driving in Snow mode helps. This will force the transmission to start in 2nd instead of 1st.

Not a root cause solution but it might help narrow down the problem.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have this issue intermittently. The engine revs up without delivering any power to the wheels for a couple seconds. I haven’t taken the vehicle to the dealer yet since I couldn’t identify a definite pattern to reproduce the issue.
That's perhaps a different issue I think: mine revs only slightly when I do this.

· Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
I have this exact issue. I've always thought that maybe it's just that the powertrain was tuned to be a bit slow. My solution has always been to press the gas a bit harder when I'm getting started from a stop as that seems to fix any issues with it being laggy.

· Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L
40 Posts
I have it too. It’s somewhere between annoying and mildly disconcerting right now. Took it in a few weeks ago and they updated the transmission software… I’m not convinced that’s going to help.

· Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L
40 Posts
are you in eco mode (gas is a bit soft & slower response)? I am not seeing much saving in gas, so I turn off eco mode; Ody seem to response normally.
Eco mode goes against all I stand for and believe in. :)

· Registered
38 Posts
My '18 w/9 speed does this too when first accelerating after cold start. It's rare to do it again after 1/8 to 1/4 mile of running. I figure it's reasonable just to expect it to happen and anticipate/correct, as is possible, by modification of my path. Nothing is perfect. It seems it has always done this. The way I understood the TSB; it basically changes the shift pattern to effectively make it an 8 speed unit, bypassing first gear a lot. So does snow mode. If I was so inclined I'd consider using snow mode in cold starts and switch out of it after the systems had warmed up. It would be nice if there was a way to automate this, but... nothing's perfect.

· Registered
8 Posts
I know this subject has been addressed a lot in this forum. I too have the same problem on my 2018 EX. I know someone mentioned the Service Bulletin above. I happened to scroll through my phone and found the file. Not sure if I downloaded the service bulletin from this forum or how it got on my phone, lol! But here it is for reference. I'm assuming I received this update, but I don't really know and my van has this issue especially when first driving the car down our driveway slope, braking slightly, accelerating into the intersection and making a left turn. My wife says she's experienced it at slow speeds in intersections when making right turns as well. Would love a solution as I'm $1800 from having this van paid off and was looking forward to no payments and a nice van for the next 5+ years. This unaddressed major safety issue has me upset though.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
I also have this issue! I found this post when searching for answers.

It seems to happen most for me when I'm doing a rolling stop and I do not fully come to a stop before accelerating again. This is disconcerting when I'm trying to make a left hand turn on a solid green across oncoming traffic!

I am trying to retrain myself to stop fully. The issue doesn't seem as prounounced when I do that.

I also have some lag and hard shifting around 30mph when accelerating. Not sure if that's related.

Going to check out the TSB and see if I can get this fixed.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have this issue too but i can narrow it down to two different scenarios a rolling acceleration in first gear and a dead stop on a decline.
So when we come to a stop, say a left turn, allow it cars to pass and we allow the van to roll, it usually get to about 6mph (roughly), then you push the accelerator.
The car does not move for a good long second then a surge of power comes on usually tripping the tires, what i think happens is the van is shifting but the shift from 1 to 2 second usually happends around 8 to 10 mph. but during this situation our van is seemly inbetween shifts. Have not tired this in a parking lot.

The decline scenario is a bit more strange to pin point, usually only happens when i'm trying to leave a parking lot entrance exiting to the right. you left off the gas a the van rolls and it hesitate and the a surge of power comes on again about a second later.

So i guess both scenario for me the card rolls for a tiny bit and then there is hesitation on the acceleration. my only verdict is the 9 speeds tranny is not program correctly for the Van.
In sports mode this issue does not seem to happen.

· Registered
2 Posts
With the 9-speed transmission on I most frequently get a 1-3 second lag on accelerating from a stop early in my driving session, especially when accelerating from 0 after the first complete stop after the first movement forward in drive. I press the pedal down and get no reaction, no rev, for 1-3 second, then it kicks in and works fine. Often this is getting out of the parking lot, or in turning on to the first busy street from a side street.

It might happen once more on the next stop or slow roll. Then for the rest of the driving session, no problems.

This issue isn't enough to get upset about, but it sure is annoying--and potentially dangerous if I'm trying to get out of the way of another car or pull into traffic.

This thread on Reddit seems like the same issue, but I haven't found any matching issue here. There probably is a thread somewhere but I cannot find it. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix?
I reported the issue to National Highway Safety Association. I recommend others do at this link:

My complaint reads:
My van regularly hesitates from the stopped position. This often causes a safety hazard when turning right into traffic or making a left turn because I am not able to accelerate for several seconds and the vehicle feels as if it is stalling out. It is a known mechanical defect with Honda and they do not currently have a resolution. When reported, I was told the mechanical system defects to switching through all the gears before accelerating, causing the delay. I have brought the car into the dealership twice regarding the issue and have been dealing with Honda headquarters with no resolution. Not only does this cause performance issues, there have been several close calls when I have made a left turn/ right turn into traffic and the vehicle hesitates for a few seconds.

· Registered
112 Posts
There's two complaints with different symptoms in the early
part of this thread. I'll address the "no rev, no go" one, not
the "revs up, no go".

You may be seeing results of mixture error. Fuel trims show
up late on throttle transitions and you "expose" the basic
("no learning") tune. If you open the throttle into a point of
excess lean operation, you may get spark knock. Knock
retard may be "over the top" as a self-protection measure
and pull timing fast, give it back slow. This could be your
"bog and wait".

You'd need a scan tool that will log your advance, O2 sensor,
knock detect & retard, to dope that out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts