Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting extremely frustrated and can't get any answers. Our 2018 Odyssey started having issues where it won't start and the circumstances vary but here are some of the instances:

-Stopped to get gas, had baby crying inside so I turned the car on to roll down a window and when I finished pumping gas the battery was dead
-Getting ready to leave for a camping trip and had the back liftgate open and one side door while loading the car; would not start when we were ready to leave
-Coming home from the same camping trip, vehicle had sat for 2 days withouth driving, had liftgate open only and no doors and it would not start
-Van sat in driveway overnight, no lights on, no doors open, nothing running and would not start the next day

Jumped the van and took to the dealer where they had it for 3 days and were unable to replicate the problem. They tell us the battery is fine and they cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle. Picked up the van after 3 days and brought it home, it sat overnight in the driveway and started this morning. My wife took our kids to her mom's which is about 20 minutes away and was there for a few hours, when she went to leave it wouldn't start.

We are having to carry a portable jump started in the van at all times and jumping it sometimes more than once a day. The dealer says there is absolutely nothing they can find that is causing the issue. This is a 2 year old van with less than 18K miles on it and I'm livid that I can't trust it for my wife and kids to go visit someone 20 minutes away without needing a jump to get home.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any answers or ideas?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,071 Posts
The battery cannot be fine after dying so many times. Even if the initial cause WAS something else, the battery cannot be discharged that many times without sustaining "damage".

I would get a new battery first despite what the dealer says to see if the problem goes away. Unless you have a severe parasitic draw somewhere, there's no reason that you won't be able to start the car after stopping to get gas IF the battery was able to hold a charge. So I think the battery isn't holding a charge. Before you try that, though, make sure your battery terminals are tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts