Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I know there are a few threads, last year, highlighting this same issue. Has there been a fix for this yet?

Issue:
2018 Odyssey's RES (Rear Entertainment System) would randomly stop working and display the message "Network Connection Lost" when the user is watching a movie from the USB.

·
Registered
831 Posts
2018 odyssey RES "Network Connection lost" issue

Two things:

1) what version of software you have? I have B1.0.16 and don’t have that issue anymore.

2) does it happen when playing a specific video and not others? It’s video format related (video/codec not compatible with Odyssey)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also waiting to fix it.
I went Honda dealer last Sat. But they told me just drop the car, because service manager and technician told me that was the first time for this issue. They didn't see that before.
But I couldn't drop my minivan at that time. I think they can't fix it yet.

My software version is B1.0.16 and I always met "Network Connection lost" if I am using PBSkids, not a specific video from USB.
So I don't know what I can do.

·
Registered
831 Posts
2018 odyssey RES "Network Connection lost" issue

If you are streaming then it is possible that you do actually loose network connection or experience slow internet speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things:

1) what version of software you have? I have B1.0.16 and don’t have that issue anymore.

2) does it happen when playing a specific video and not others? It’s video format related (video/codec not compatible with Odyssey)

Yes my Ody is on B1.0.16. I updated it after I encounter the network connection lost issue.

I notice it is more likely to happen when I play a high resolution movie.

As an engineer that is experienced in troubleshooting technical issues, I am guessing the root cause is due to a software bug related to slow transfer rate. I notice the error occurred more when I was using a slow flash drive and I was trying to watch a Bluray quality movie.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Drove mine to the dealer last Saturday when the error message displayed. Technician said, Honda is aware of this problem and does not have a fix. Technician said, don’t use cabin watch and there will not be an issue with the RES. Not only do I want it fixed, but, I also want to be refunded for whatever the cost of the RES and Cabin watch was. I know it will never happen, but, that’s how I feel.

Hi all,
I know there are a few threads, last year, highlighting this same issue. Has there been a fix for this yet?

Issue:
2018 Odyssey's RES (Rear Entertainment System) would randomly stop working and display the message "Network Connection Lost" when the user is watching a movie from the USB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved: disable the in-car network and internet tethering

I brought my ody to the dealer. They were not able to reproduce the issue but they think it is due to the ody trying to connect to a network or internet. After they disable the in-car network I stop getting the error.

Since the network was turn off, i turn on bluetooth tethering for the ody to give it an internet connect for software updates. The error came back. After turning BT tethering off, the ody stop throwing the "network connection lost" error.

So this means when the 2018 ody loses internet connection, the car throws an error which interrupts and crashes the RES.

Report this to Honda so they can fix this Software bug!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got off the phone with Kim @ Honda Customer service and she explained how it's an issue reported to engineering (We have all heard this) and she will now proceed to close the help ticket since there is nothing she can do. Her advice is to continue to call the dealer and check with them.

I have diligently upgraded the software and attempted the many fixes, but I still have the problem. I feel this is a pervasive problem in the models with the RES but everyone is just dealing with it. I know I have waited 5 months before starting to complain.

BTW - I tried the above fix and it did not solve the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am able to use the following workaround for now:

(1) Turn off Bluetooth and Wifi. (Settings -> Connections)
(2) Shut down the car completely to force the RES to shutdown too.
(3) Restart car.

I am using CarPlay instead of Bluetooth for taking calls in the car for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just updated our newly purchased 2018 to the *.16 OS and just started getting the network connection issue. Doesn’t matter what RES app you are in, it’ll cut out after about 15-20m. Really annoying. We are going to contact dealer tomorrow and see if there’s any new info.

·
Registered
208 Posts
software B1.0.16 not only created this issue but also now USB not reading most of the time.
i never had this problem prior to updated this software. the only way to play on RES is using bluray disk. i am totally freak out on Honda. not suggests anyone to buy one. (my biggest issue is transmission 9sp. by the way)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried 3 different USB drives, all formatted to Fat32, for music storage. One wouldn't read at all(don't remember the mfr of that one), a PNY would work, but not all songs were recognized, and finally a Lexar that is working great. Loaded some mp4, video files on a SanDisk, 32GB & it works great on the RES. Off topic, but my 9 sp tranny is silky smooth & working great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Been having this problem from day one with good days and bad. if its the usb or the video playing you should always get the same problem using the USB or playing the same video. Which this is not the case. its a software/hardware issue. some days you can play for hours, some days 5 minutes, other days nothing at all.

I've played 1080P videos and they play but the video will skip. can play one video one day with no errors the next will get network connection lost. but once this error appears half the time it can't find the USB anymore. have to shut off, open the driver door, wait 30 seconds and start and hope for the best and it works about 50% of the time. its all random.

Took to the dealer twice already, first time they did nothing, checked all connections and could not find any errors, videos played fine. still didn't think there was any problems even i showed them videos of the problem.

next time recently the whole system started to error out, not just the rear entertainment , signals stopped working, passenger sliding door stopped working, trunk wouldn't open, dash was just popping up with random errors and shutting down features. took to the dealer after trying to turn off and on like 4 times. This time the Dealer just reset the computer and is in the process of replacing the cabin watch camera.

Been a year now and Honda's customer service is garbage. your basically a liar till they can see the problem in front of them. Even video proof of errors popping up isn't enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In another thread @dougs_ody said he brought his Elite in with very similar issues and they replaced the Rear Entertainment Control Unit(RECU) and it fixed his problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took mine into the dealership. They are replacing the RES control board, or something like that. Basically, for me its a hardware issue.

I've got video of mine messing up. After watching a Blu-Ray for around 20 minutes, it starts the Network Connect Lost error. It the rear screen will go dark, and will appear to reboot. During that time, you can hear the movie's audio keep playing. The movie will come back on the screen eventually. Shortly after, it will start over with the Network Connection Lost error.

·
Registered
1 Posts
checking in with this very same issue: 2018 EX RES Odyssey ~ been two the dealer twice: they said we'd need video proof of this happening. Will mention the replacement of the Rear Entertainment Control RECU next time. Is there anything to reference (service issue number / etc?) to help streamline this issue?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i took mine in recently and they didn't repair anything. They acknowledged the issue and said it was software related and that I would need to wait for the fix.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i took mine in recently and they didn't repair anything. They acknowledged the issue and said it was software related and that I would need to wait for the fix.
This is correct, don’t go replacing things, it makes thing worse whenever they touch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts