Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ody EX-L Navi encountered some problems even back when I first had it.
Scenario like, when I was trying to make a right turn on red, After a full stop, I lightly accelerate to check the road condition, and release a bit on paddle, and tried to go after confirming it's good, but then the acceleration was not responding for like 2~3 seconds, and suddenly go with full power! That isn't just happen when making turn. It also happened when I go straight from a full stop, lightly accelerate, release paddle, and accelerate again. Try it, light acceleration, lightly release the acceleration and step on acceleration again, it delays response........ should I call this stalling?

Do any of you have the similar experience? Like sudden lost power when making turn.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,146 Posts
It would help to know the year of your Odyssey. EX-L in 2018-19 would have 9 speed and 2020 would have 10 speed with auto idle stop feature.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been posting here for well over 18 months on exact same problem with our 2018 Ody Elite 10sp trans. It now has 24k miles.
Dealers have no clue; corporate tele support line has no clue. One poster here got relief by having their trans control module replaced.

My next step after the holidays is to leave the Ody with the dealer to attach their analysis laptop to the diagnostic port and have them keep and drive the vehicle until they trap the problem code - which otherwise does not show up.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
I have the 2018 EX and use ECON Mode all the time. I've had the same thing happen. The car hesitates for about 3 seconds. It has only happened 4 times but fortunately, no one was behind me. Where it can really be a problem is when you're making a left turn in heavy traffic at a stoplight. Approaching cars are at a safe distance until you have to give them an extra 3 seconds to bare down on you because the damn car just sits there. Now, we're not talking about some glitch in computer software but rather a safety issue. Honda needs to take this problem seriously and not fall back on their standard, "We can't reproduce the problem, so there's the door" response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Ody EX-L Navi encountered some problems even back when I first had it.
Scenario like, when I was trying to make a right turn on red, After a full stop, I lightly accelerate to check the road condition, and release a bit on paddle, and tried to go after confirming it's good, but then the acceleration was not responding for like 2~3 seconds, and suddenly go with full power! That isn't just happen when making turn. It also happened when I go straight from a full stop, lightly accelerate, release paddle, and accelerate again. Try it, light acceleration, lightly release the acceleration and step on acceleration again, it delays response........ should I call this stalling?

Do any of you have the similar experience? Like sudden lost power when making turn.
Hello. We are experiencing the same problem now as you did. Were they able to solve the issue for you? Everything you wrote is exactly what's happening to us. We've taken it into the Honda Dealership Mechanic twice now and 1) it doesn't want to do that when they test it & 2) they can't find any problems. Ours is a 2019 Honda Ody EX-L Navi just like yours that we purchased in April 2019. It also has been shifting hard when driving slow around 24/25 mph. Did yours have the same issue? Hope to hear back from you soon. ^_^

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had this happen a couple of times with my 2018/9 speed transmission. Dealer checked for codes and found none followed by usual response, unable to duplicate the problem. Being an engineer I tried to think of possible causes and the one I am trying to eliminate now is that the engine/ transmission control module is over taxed for a few seconds. Partial throttle, then none, followed by more throttle is a lot of data to be processed in a short time, perhaps a fraction of a second. I suspect the VCM causes a momentary change in the cylinder configuration along with a change in the throttle mapping and who knows what is going on in the transmission. I have installed the SVCM modification with the thought that it will eliminate some of the electronic and mechanical changes associated with VCM operation. It has only been installed a few days but so far I have noticed a quicker power response in stop and go traffic and when overtaking. I suspect the faster response is due to less demand on the electrical and mechanical systems associated with VCM technology. Time will tell if I am on the correct track.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
Interesting thoughts on the VCM, Okscot. I always thought the VCM processor didn't kick in until highway speeds - whatever that figure is - perhaps 50 mph or 80 kph? If I'm correct, then it would have no effect on the loss of power at low speeds. Comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting thoughts on the VCM, Okscot. I always thought the VCM processor didn't kick in until highway speeds - whatever that figure is - perhaps 50 mph or 80 kph? If I'm correct, then it would have no effect on the loss of power at low speeds. Comments or thoughts?
I’m led to believe it kicks in when in stop and go traffic or at idle, if the engine temp is above 167F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts