Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share an odd situation. A week ago my 12,000km old van started to exhibit odd shifting behavior in around gears 3/4/5, where the upshifts were a bit harsh, and the downshifts were a bit abrupt. 2 days ago, noticed that the tranny started smack gears and then yesterday i found out that every time you shift from gear 4 to gear 5 (whether it is in auto or paddle shift, in D or S), it was not a smooth shift but an abrupt slam. In fact the RPMS instead of dropping on the next upshift, it would actually freewheel, rev up and then smack into 5th. I also lost reverse gear, but the funny thing is, no warning lights.

Took it into the dealer today, and i had the video. Good news was on the way there it is 100% repeatable for the 4th to 5th gear shift, but reverse was working fine. Explained it to the dealer, so they had a tech ride out with me on a test drive. Well lets put it this way, we didnt make it out of the parking spot. The car would not engage reverse, and started blinking R, and was freewheeling like it was in neutral. Suddenly, the dash indicated transmission system failure + blind spot warning failure. even drive was now blinking D, so the car is completely messed up.

Fortunately they gave me a rental car, but now the waiting game occurs, to see what caused this, as i never heard of any 10speed have this issue before.

Real bad luck over the last few weeks, as i got into an accident with my 2018 Nissan Leaf so i already had a rental, and now this with my 2018 Odyessy.

Anyways, anybody hear of this problem? Just wanted to share!

· Registered
2019 Elite
608 Posts
I suspect it is a solenoid failure. Please keep us informed so we may know what the repair process is for such an event. Also, see if you can get the codes that were thrown and the part/s that was changed to fix.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect it is a solenoid failure. Please keep us informed so we may know what the repair process is for such an event. Also, see if you can get the codes that were thrown and the part/s that was changed to fix.
Will do, once i figure out what happend. Whole point in sharing was to raise awareness in case it happens to someone else!..

· Registered
8 Posts
Any Update? I just picked up a brand new 2019 Elite and now have shaking issues along with weird clunk/jump in shifting. This is brand new vehicle and I am not sure how it got past any inspection. They want to check it out and see what's wrong. My worry is Transmission issue and they will want to replace. I do not want this vehicle having only 22 miles on it with this issue.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any Update? I just picked up a brand new 2019 Elite and now have shaking issues along with weird clunk/jump in shifting. This is brand new vehicle and I am not sure how it got past any inspection. They want to check it out and see what's wrong. My worry is Transmission issue and they will want to replace. I do not want this vehicle having only 22 miles on it with this issue.
No word from Honda in time line. Just an FYI these new odyssey have its quirks and I knew this before I bought it. Most are livable but never thought the tranny would go. Some of the issues I have are all the ones on this oforums like sliding door issue, weak AC, network lost, etc but I love this van considering I owned much more premium cars in the past (traded in a Lexus IS-F for a 16 odyssey).

Now for the tranny what you have seems similar to mine except I lost reverse. The 10 speed should not jump on part throttle like that but in my case it started to happen suddenly.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
8 Posts
BAck in shop, I duplicated for them this morning. I dont think I will be happyw ith a transmission replacement on a brand new car. I also found out the driver side windshield wiper is skipping. Its like not enough pressure against the window to hold it.

We will see what Honda says today. They recorded it on a computer connected to the car while it was happening. I was driving it.

· Registered
11,008 Posts
I dont think I will be happy with a transmission replacement on a brand new car.
Yeah, I hear you man. It sucks to wrench a brand new van.

On the other hand, it would better to have a new replacement transmission than an original defective one.

Let us know what Honda says...

Dave

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Still no van, its been in the shop for almost a month. Transmission is on route.. Honestly, i could care less that they "WRENCH" my car, as it is a lease and i will most certainly not buy it out. I really do miss my van, as driving the Dodge Caravan over the past few weeks makes me really appreciate the Odyessy 10x more.

· Registered
33 Posts
Just pick up my 2018 touring. 4miles on it. Highway driving was strange. Vibration at 65-73. A bottle of water in the center console was shaking on a smooth road. Steering wheel and seats vibrate. Also a slight helicopter noise was happening... whoop woop wooo wooo, like a window being Down. Doesn’t seems like a tire, as I’m familiar what an out of balance tires feels like. Had a 2015 odyssey, it was smooth riding.

· Registered
33 Posts
Like to add. I test drove 4 different new 2018 and 2019 tourings and they all had a vibration and woop wooo air pressure noise at highway speeds??? Doesn’t make sense, at least not yet till someone figures this out. Just some data points.

· Registered
2019 Elite
608 Posts
Like to add. I test drove 4 different new 2018 and 2019 tourings and they all had a vibration and woop wooo air pressure noise at highway speeds??? Doesn’t make sense, at least not yet till someone figures this out. Just some data points.
Was the test drive on the same route with the four test drives? Were these roads freshly paved? Were the roads ashphalt or concrete?

If four vehicles did the same issue, its most likely the road.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was the test drive on the same route with the four test drives? Were these roads freshly paved? Were the roads ashphalt or concrete?

If four vehicles did the same issue, its most likely the road.
Note, 2018/19 on 19" wheels tend to ride rougher due to lower profile tires... Makes a huge difference. Otherwise i never had a complaint with highway driving. Jsut pissed its taking so long to fix this car.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got my van back. Almost 2 months after dropping it off. Unforutnately nothing the dealer can tell me about the repairs. Honda Canada told them to remove the transmission but do not take it apart and ship it as an entire unit back for analaysis. Total repair cost is $8,000...

Glad to have the car back, but man, what a nightmare.

· Registered
2 Posts
2018 Odyssey Elite 10 speed, 62,600 miles, identical issue. Started with a slip between the 4-5 upshift, and downshift was clunky. Within 100 miles upon returning from a road trip, reverse no longer works, and same flashing "D" on the info screen, and same "Transmission System Problem" and "Blind Spot Info System Problem" warnings alternate. Taking to the dealer tomorrow, unfortunately off factory warranty.

· Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
649 Posts
2018 Odyssey Elite 10 speed, 62,600 miles, identical issue. Started with a slip between the 4-5 upshift, and downshift was clunky. Within 100 miles upon returning from a road trip, reverse no longer works, and same flashing "D" on the info screen, and same "Transmission System Problem" and "Blind Spot Info System Problem" warnings alternate. Taking to the dealer tomorrow, unfortunately off factory warranty.
Please keep us posted. I've test driven two 2018 Elites with over 100K on it before we bought our 2020 Elite and the 2018s transmission shifted pretty well. I'm curious if the issues you and the OP have experienced are "first model year," issues and am more curious if we'll be seeing any 2019s or 2020s with similar issues? Hmm. I'd assume even if they kept certain issues like this transmission issue in-house (secret) that they'd apply the fixes to the newer model years... let's hope.

@BradL have you changed the ATF at all? If so, at what mileage? Could you share with us your driving habits? Hot climate? Tow anything? etc...

@minirx7 how is the replaced transmission doing after 2 years?

· Registered
247 Posts
Just pick up my 2018 touring. 4miles on it. Highway driving was strange. Vibration at 65-73. A bottle of water in the center console was shaking on a smooth road. Steering wheel and seats vibrate. Also a slight helicopter noise was happening... whoop woop wooo wooo, like a window being Down. Doesn’t seems like a tire, as I’m familiar what an out of balance tires feels like. Had a 2015 odyssey, it was smooth riding.
I have 2018 EXL 9 speed. All of sudden window wooping noice is started at speed 67mph till 74mph.
Took it to the dealer and they said just wheel balance. Even after wheel balance its same nothing changed. Next i will rotate tires. But now when you saying that you already have changing tires and still its there. means that something wrong with engine? I cant tolerate that vibration!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.