Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my transmission failure story....

The transmission started shifting hard on November 20th, 2021 while driving 60-70 mph on the interstate. I was on a Thanksgiving trip (Indianapolis, IN to Venice, FL) with my wife and three kids ages 8, 6, and 4. We were on I-75 north of Atlanta when the transmission shifted hard up and down around 2000 rpm. After about four hard shifts the van lost the ability to accelerate (no amount of throttle increased vehicle speed). At the time we were going around 60-70 mph when we lost acceleration and I had to coast the van to the side of the road through the northern Atlanta traffic. The transmission did come back and I was able to get of the next exit and take the van to the Woodstock Honda dealer. The transmission continued to hard shift on the approximately 15 minute drive to the dealer. I did leave the van with the dealer, but before I left I tried to put the van in reverse and it would not move. The dash and button suggested I was in reverse but there was no function, and at that time I got a transmission problem warning. Prior to trying to reverse the vehicle I did not get a warning. So while on the interstate when it was a real problem the vehicle did not give any indication of what was wrong; so I’m glad I was driving and not my wife or someone less capable in a dangerous driving situation.
Woodstock Honda looked at the van on Monday and told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $9,300. The van was purchased in March of 2018 and currently has around 69k miles on it. I don’t believe anyone would agree that a transmission replacement at 69k miles is acceptable.
This transmission failure is on top of the RES problems that have persisted for multiple years now. If Honda doesn’t contribute financially to the transmission repair, I have no reason to buy another Honda. My van has been nothing but problems. The RES is unreliable for the family and the transmission failure left us stranded 500 miles from home.

Update
The pending DTCs were P0736 RVS gear incorrect ratio and P07D9 8th gear incorrect ratio. Confirmed DTC was P0736.
Replacement transmission was 06200-5MX-A77RM. Part cost of $6469 and labor $2206.
I drove the car about 250 miles after picking it up today and it drove fine. I didn't notice anything off with the shifting.

Additionally in hindsight I might could have seen this failure coming. For a few months now when backing out of the garage or driving slow and turning or hitting a bump I would hear a clunk-clunk sound. The clunk-clunk was very hollow sounding and hard to determine where it was coming from. Backing out of the drive when going over the curb between driveway and road the car would shake and you would hear a clunk-clunk. Or when turning slowly clunk-clunk. I thought it was the suspension but with the new transmission the sound is gone. I'm not experienced with transmission failures but if I every hear a similar sound again I'm getting the transmission inspected.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
241 Posts
Please record your information here:

Sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
132 Posts

The transmission started shifting hard on November 20th, 2021 while driving 60-70 mph on the interstate. I was on a Thanksgiving trip (Indianapolis, IN to Venice, FL) with my wife and three kids ages 8, 6, and 4. We were on I-75 north of Atlanta when the transmission shifted hard up and down around 2000 rpm. After about four hard shifts the van lost the ability to accelerate (no amount of throttle increased vehicle speed). At the time we were going around 60-70 mph when we lost acceleration and I had to coast the van to the side of the road through the northern Atlanta traffic. The transmission did come back and I was able to get of the next exit and take the van to the Woodstock Honda dealer. The transmission continued to hard shift on the approximately 15 minute drive to the dealer. I did leave the van with the dealer, but before I left I tried to put the van in reverse and it would not move. The dash and button suggested I was in reverse but there was no function, and at that time I got a transmission problem warning. Prior to trying to reverse the vehicle I did not get a warning. So while on the interstate when it was a real problem the vehicle did not give any indication of what was wrong; so I’m glad I was driving and not my wife or someone less capable in a dangerous driving situation.
Woodstock Honda looked at the van on Monday and told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $9,300. The van was purchased in March of 2018 and currently has around 69k miles on it. I don’t believe anyone would agree that a transmission replacement at 69k miles is acceptable.
This transmission failure is on top of the RES problems that have persisted for multiple years now. If Honda doesn’t contribute financially to the transmission repair, I have no reason to buy another Honda. My van has been nothing but problems. The RES is unreliable for the family and the transmission failure left us stranded 500 miles from home.
You don't state what Ody model you have. Does it have a 9 s
Please record your information here:

Sorry to hear this.
You beat me to it. 9 speed or 10 speed transmission?

MODS - Is there any way to combine all transmission failure posts into Fuego's 'Transmission survey'?

·
Registered
181 Posts

Would be nice to know what trim do you have, touring/elite or ex/exl?

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
MODS - Is there any way to combine all transmission failure posts into Fuego's 'Transmission survey'?
Are you kidding? If I move/merge people's threads into one thread, there will be all kinds of crying/complaining. As is, lately, there have been way too many cry babies for minor stuff like I or someone asking them to search. No thanks. I ain't moving anything to someone else's thread. :D
I would happily merge people's duplicate threads (with their own threads that is). Sorry.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,809 Posts
Also curious whether the transmission had ever been serviced or not (fluid changed). Not that a transmission with its original fluid should have failed at 69K (still very early), but wondering if maybe the fluid was changed with the wrong fluid or the wrong level, for example. Just curious.

If for whatever reason Honda refuses to contribute financially, a transmission shop will likely have a more affordable solution. Even a regular mechanic can source a low mileage unit from a totaled van and have it installed with labor for significantly less than $9,300, I would imagine.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts

So sorry to hear about your woes. That too on a long highway trip with the kids loaded up. Thank God you guys were able to coast yourselves out of the crazy Atlanta traffic.
$9,300 is way too much. Your issue is that you're way too far from your home base and at a very distinct disadvantage here. I would have the Woodstock Honda call American Honda and ask for "goodwill warranty" given that you are within the 5 year power train warranty but 9K miles over. I have hope that Honda will cover a bulk of the cost.
If by fluke, Honda says ZERO cost replacement, offer to pay $100 out of pocket. If Honda covers an out-of-warranty repair, you get 12 months/12K warranty. If you "share" the cost, you get 3 years/36K warranty.
Do update this thread as to the happenings. I would just find a rental and continue down to FL and enjoy the holiday as best as I can.
I hope you have not already authorized the Honda dealer to do the work at the tune of the exorbitant $9,300 quote you got.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
You don't state what Ody model you have. Does it have a 9 s

You beat me to it. 9 speed or 10 speed transmission?

10 speed based on the OP's reply to the other 2018 transmission failure thread so it seems.

·
Registered
181 Posts

10 speed based on the OP's reply to the other 2018 transmission failure thread so it seems.
Or, he think it's 10 speed, like most people, because all advertisings always about top trim with 10speed.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
Or, he think it's 10 speed, like most people, because all advertisings always about top trim with 10speed.
They have all of 8 posts. Here is another one of their 8 posts. They have an Elite.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
241 Posts
too many cry babies for minor stuff
I’m a cry baby and want to see this transmission survey pinned. There are so many individual transmission threads. Some are noisy some are not helpful. Feel like search here does no good. Ideally something like this needs to be there for every gen. So people know where to record and see data long term even if the forums population is small.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
I’m a cry baby and want to see this transmission survey pinned. There are so many individual transmission threads. Some are noisy some are not helpful. Feel like search here does no good. Ideally something like this needs to be there for every gen. So people know where to record and see data long term even if the forums population is small.
That is great. But you need to coax people to post to your survey. Merging the threads does no good for a survey any way and will only upset the people whose threads got merged. If I were you, I would continue to do what you did here which is post in the tranny woes threads and try and encourage the people to post to your survey.

That said, I did stick (pin) your thread but you could have asked nicely instead of crying about it. :D

Reactions: skelsall

·
Registered
76 Posts
10 speed
"apdick01 - Just bought a 2018 Odyssey Elite and paid $42,500 including destination. "

Interested to see when OP did their transmission fluid; my dealership tried to upsell me with 30k trans fluid but I refused b/c of the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,186 Posts
Don't you find it interesting that the OP hasn't chimed in any further to this post?

It sounds like a total failure of the 10-speed Honda transmission, just outside a small town called Warranty. I hope Honda steps up to the plate on this one. That mileage is way too early for a transmission failure unless the OP has been towing dump trucks out of the ditch! All kidding aside, it would benefit everyone to know wat caused such a catastrophic failure so early in the transmission's life.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
With the reliability of the newer Odysseys it's hard to tell what's a troll post and what's actually a problem...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts