Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Also curious whether the transmission had ever been serviced or not (fluid changed). Not that a transmission with its original fluid should have failed at 69K (still very early), but wondering if maybe the fluid was changed with the wrong fluid or the wrong level, for example. Just curious.

If for whatever reason Honda refuses to contribute financially, a transmission shop will likely have a more affordable solution. Even a regular mechanic can source a low mileage unit from a totaled van and have it installed with labor for significantly less than $9,300, I would imagine.
I should be able to remember if I had the transmission fluid replaced but I don't. It would have been at 30k, and I think I did. I haven't done it at 60k. If done it would have been at the Honda dealer. I've only had oil changes at non Honda locations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So sorry to hear about your woes. That too on a long highway trip with the kids loaded up. Thank God you guys were able to coast yourselves out of the crazy Atlanta traffic.
$9,300 is way too much. Your issue is that you're way too far from your home base and at a very distinct disadvantage here. I would have the Woodstock Honda call American Honda and ask for "goodwill warranty" given that you are within the 5 year power train warranty but 9K miles over. I have hope that Honda will cover a bulk of the cost.
If by fluke, Honda says ZERO cost replacement, offer to pay $100 out of pocket. If Honda covers an out-of-warranty repair, you get 12 months/12K warranty. If you "share" the cost, you get 3 years/36K warranty.
Do update this thread as to the happenings. I would just find a rental and continue down to FL and enjoy the holiday as best as I can.
I hope you have not already authorized the Honda dealer to do the work at the tune of the exorbitant $9,300 quote you got.
I called a local shop (back home) and they couldn't get a used remanufactured transmission from Jasper. The price they gave me was $7500 to $8000 to do the replacement. I would have also had to tow it back home. It is a lot of money but very difficult to manage so far away from home. I reluctantly approved the repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I called a local shop (back home) and they couldn't get a used remanufactured transmission from Jasper. The price they gave me was $7500 to $8000 to do the replacement. I would have also had to tow it back home. It is a lot of money but very difficult to manage so far away from home. I reluctantly approved the repair.
Also the shop back home called his friend at the local Honda dealer and he said they were seeing many transmission failures and Honda have not been providing any financial help. He also said they had very little information on why the transmission is failing. He mentioned clutch plate but that was all.

·
Administrator
14,326 Posts
Okay. What ever is done is done. Try to forget about it and enjoy the ride I suppose. Once you get back, I would still call American Honda and file a complaint and see. Worst they'd do is say no and you lose a bit of time.

I did do a scan on car-part.com and there are two flavors of the Elite transmissions. PMXA and MNXA. Both can be had for less than 2K each but you would be rolling the dice on them as there is no telling how they were handled during and after the wreck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Okay. What ever is done is done. Try to forget about it and enjoy the ride I suppose. Once you get back, I would still call American Honda and file a complaint and see. Worst they'd do is say no and you lose a bit of time.

I did do a scan on car-part.com and there are two flavors of the Elite transmissions. PMXA and MNXA. Both can be had for less than 2K each but you would be rolling the dice on them as there is no telling how they were handled during and after the wreck.
Thanks for the information on the transmissions.

I do have a case open with Honda and will do what I can to get in contact with someone technical enough to tell me about the problem, and hopefully discuss compensation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In line with this thread, I bought a 2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L with the 9 speed ZF transmission in late Sept 2017. I have been happy with the unit so far. I did all the basic maintenance after the 12kmi period. Oil changes anywhere for 40 to 10% oil life remaining depending on how the vehicle is driven using only 2 brands I prefer, Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec 0W-20 and factory oil filter. Performed my 9th oil change @ 32 kmi and transmission service the same time. I was using a Snap On Solus edge with a 2020 update to compare to the Xtool D7 I purchased since the trans level check is temperature critical and using an infrared thermo is unreliable IMO. Anyway, I did a complete scan of the ECM/PCM and came up with a TCM hard/permanent code of P2638, Torque management feedback signal "A" Range/performance and will attach screen shot if able to. I was wondering if there is any techie type in this forum with more insight on this honda software have any input. Just concerned of any possible pending catastrophic failure. The van is at its 5th year of ownership and with just under 38 kmi. Aside from occasional jerky 1-2 shift, it has been a reliable van, and the Trans software was updated sometime in 2019. Will appreciate any comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If you can get a local independent to do the install, the savings with buying from Majestic could be worthwhile:
Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Brand

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is my transmission failure story....

The transmission started shifting hard on November 20th, 2021 while driving 60-70 mph on the interstate. I was on a Thanksgiving trip (Indianapolis, IN to Venice, FL) with my wife and three kids ages 8, 6, and 4. We were on I-75 north of Atlanta when the transmission shifted hard up and down around 2000 rpm. After about four hard shifts the van lost the ability to accelerate (no amount of throttle increased vehicle speed). At the time we were going around 60-70 mph when we lost acceleration and I had to coast the van to the side of the road through the northern Atlanta traffic. The transmission did come back and I was able to get of the next exit and take the van to the Woodstock Honda dealer. The transmission continued to hard shift on the approximately 15 minute drive to the dealer. I did leave the van with the dealer, but before I left I tried to put the van in reverse and it would not move. The dash and button suggested I was in reverse but there was no function, and at that time I got a transmission problem warning. Prior to trying to reverse the vehicle I did not get a warning. So while on the interstate when it was a real problem the vehicle did not give any indication of what was wrong; so I’m glad I was driving and not my wife or someone less capable in a dangerous driving situation.
Woodstock Honda looked at the van on Monday and told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $9,300. The van was purchased in March of 2018 and currently has around 69k miles on it. I don’t believe anyone would agree that a transmission replacement at 69k miles is acceptable.
This transmission failure is on top of the RES problems that have persisted for multiple years now. If Honda doesn’t contribute financially to the transmission repair, I have no reason to buy another Honda. My van has been nothing but problems. The RES is unreliable for the family and the transmission failure left us stranded 500 miles from home.

Update
The pending DTCs were P0736 RVS gear incorrect ratio and P07D9 8th gear incorrect ratio. Confirmed DTC was P0736.
Replacement transmission was 06200-5MX-A77RM. Part cost of $6469 and labor $2206.
I drove the car about 250 miles after picking it up today and it drove fine. I didn't notice anything off with the shifting.

Additionally in hindsight I might could have seen this failure coming. For a few months now when backing out of the garage or driving slow and turning or hitting a bump I would hear a clunk-clunk sound. The clunk-clunk was very hollow sounding and hard to determine where it was coming from. Backing out of the drive when going over the curb between driveway and road the car would shake and you would hear a clunk-clunk. Or when turning slowly clunk-clunk. I thought it was the suspension but with the new transmission the sound is gone. I'm not experienced with transmission failures but if I every hear a similar sound again I'm getting the transmission inspected.

my 2001 has 288,000 on it and I am on my 5th transmission.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
How many have you paid for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
How many have you paid for?
just the last one ... rebult by Auburn Drivetrain in WA at 171k .... still going I had them install an inline filter and remove it and replace the hose that was cut to install it at 10k on the rebuild .... they did it for $2100 including timing belt and water pump .... they are amazing now I kind of call them for car advice to the point I am probably annoying lol ..... that was in 2013 looking at auction cars right now want to sell it while it still runs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts