Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting this thread to give updated information for anyone else with the RES rebooting issue on their Odyssey. Just got home 6 hours ago with a '19 Elite. Everything seemed fine until we turned on the RES. Like others before, after 10-15 minutes of running, the RES cuts out (black screen), reboots with the Honda Logo, and then runs for a few more minutes before doing it again. I get a loud "clicking" sound from the speakers during the reboot cycle, which is actually what I noticed first.

Thanks to many others on the forum who have posted, I know that this is something that some have seen, and that we will probably be replacing the RES and/or RECU. The various home remedies (turn off the internet link, factory reset the head unit, etc.) do not seem to have helped; I am on the newest firmware (B.1.0.26). Really annoying to find this right out of the gate, but our dealer has been good to us in the past and I am hopeful that there will be no issues having them order & replace this under warranty. I work with enough electronics to know that 90% of the problems show up very fast. Just my bad luck. Will update here with more info as I have it; they are closed tomorrow, so will schedule an appointment with them on Monday, and likely take it in for them to look at later this week. Will try to get them to order parts before I go in, but not holding my breath.

Thanks to everyone out there who posted about their similar problems; great to know I'm not alone, and that it is fixable. Can't say I'm thrilled, but as long as they fix it under warranty, that's all anyone could ask.

PS: Do I get to "blame" my wife who upgraded us to the Elite from the Touring? We played a DVD in the Touring we test-drove and that VIN was fine. Should'a done the same with the Elite. Lesson learned!

Edit: Here is a video of the whole thing. Shows the blank RES screen, the "Network Connection Lost" on the headunit, the Clicking, followed by the Honda logo as the RES reboots. Wait a few minutes and it happens again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a very similar issue with an Elite. It took a few days for parts to arrive and the labor to be completed.

We are heavy RES users and post dealer fix we haven’t had further issues.

Hopefully that provides some comfort / hope. Your dealership will resolve the issue for you under warranty.

Hope you get your van back quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’d be curious if you could go into your vehicle settings and the about section and take pictures of the pages in there to see if there’s any difference in hardware versions or software versions of any components outside of the normal software updates. Would you mind taking some photos for us since yours works?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d be curious if you could go into your vehicle settings and the about section and take pictures of the pages in there to see if there’s any difference in hardware versions or software versions of any components outside of the normal software updates. Would you mind taking some photos for us since yours works?
Should get the software versions of the RES too; there is a separate "about" dialog available via the RES screen, which shows different versions of everything than the head unit on the dashboard.

That's a great idea Infinus; I'll grab the versions that I have now (broken) and compare with what I end up with. Our dealer has done well by us with my wife's car in the past, and our old '07 Odyssey, so I am hopeful that they'll get me fixed up quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have an appt to take it into the dealer for diagnosis tomorrow. Pre-visit:

Front head-unit:
Android version: 5.1.1
Kernel Version
3.14.51 [email protected] #1 Thu Aug 15 10:13:30 EDT 2019
Build Number: LMY48P release-keys
Honda SW Version: B.1.0.26

RES system:
Version: 39452THR F015, 39453THR A012
Free Space: 4.04 GB
Total Space: 11.96GB
Network: TCU

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As expected...

POO special ordered part will call to set appt when part comes in.

No indication of which part on the work order but sounded like the rear entertainment control unit based on what the service manager said. Expecting to get the part in late this week or early next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As expected...

POO special ordered part will call to set appt when part comes in.

No indication of which part on the work order but sounded like the rear entertainment control unit based on what the service manager said. Expecting to get the part in late this week or early next.
thank you for the update. I’ve heard mixed reviews on this working as a fix. Although it’s quite possible that previous fixes still utilized old parts and that a newer one has been created but the part number stayed the same. I have an appointment in Saturday and we will go from there to see if they order the same part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starting this thread to give updated information for anyone else with the RES rebooting issue on their Odyssey. Just got home 6 hours ago with a '19 Elite. Everything seemed fine until we turned on the RES. Like others before, after 10-15 minutes of running, the RES cuts out (black screen), reboots with the Honda Logo, and then runs for a few more minutes before doing it again. I get a loud "clicking" sound from the speakers during the reboot cycle, which is actually what I noticed first.

Thanks to many others on the forum who have posted, I know that this is something that some have seen, and that we will probably be replacing the RES and/or RECU. The various home remedies (turn off the internet link, factory reset the head unit, etc.) do not seem to have helped; I am on the newest firmware (B.1.0.26). Really annoying to find this right out of the gate, but our dealer has been good to us in the past and I am hopeful that there will be no issues having them order & replace this under warranty. I work with enough electronics to know that 90% of the problems show up very fast. Just my bad luck. Will update here with more info as I have it; they are closed tomorrow, so will schedule an appointment with them on Monday, and likely take it in for them to look at later this week. Will try to get them to order parts before I go in, but not holding my breath.

Thanks to everyone out there who posted about their similar problems; great to know I'm not alone, and that it is fixable. Can't say I'm thrilled, but as long as they fix it under warranty, that's all anyone could ask.

PS: Do I get to "blame" my wife who upgraded us to the Elite from the Touring? We played a DVD in the Touring we test-drove and that VIN was fine. Should'a done the same with the Elite. Lesson learned!

Edit: Here is a video of the whole thing. Shows the blank RES screen, the "Network Connection Lost" on the headunit, the Clicking, followed by the Honda logo as the RES reboots. Wait a few minutes and it happens again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
May not be a new part number if there was insufficient quality control to detect low yields. That kind of thing happens a lot in solid state electronics. Part of why extended warranties are a rip off; usually dies within 60 days.

If they tightened up their testing or production line that may be all that was necessary. A bad lot can take forever to clear from a supply chain if they were not tracking what particular line or factory the bad part was coming from.

Time will tell. Let you know what happens after replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Would you please post the full path of the video - as it is not viewable on this forum. Thanks so much.
The original was just a pasted link too; forum software changed it to embedded... but here is a (better) link which I took in the daylight, instead of the evening. I'll see if I can format it differently somehow.

YOUTUBE LINK

·
Registered
24 Posts
What was the fix?
Initially both displays were replaced and it worked for a few weeks.

Then they replaced both wiring harnesses. 1. Connected the RES and 2. Connecting the front screen.

Since then it had been working until I pushed the most recent OTA update.

The dealer had to do a reset and it’s been working for a few weeks trouble free ever since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you know what month your build is? Perhaps there was a bad batch of harnesses/screens? Or maybe not, and it's more widespread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm up to 39 RES failures in the 13 months we've owned our van.

Last week, the "service liason" at our dealership said "fixes are being rolled out. The Pilots are being taken care of first." He said that Honda has been mailing USB drives to the service centers with updated software on them. Could be complete BS, who knows.

This week, our RES displayed two new errors... "No audio connection for FM" and "Unforunately, com.honda.tuner has stopped". These froze up the entire infotainment system until the van was shut off and restarted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just back from dealer service, and my RES managed to go the whole drive home without rebooting. Will need to wait for longer trips to know for sure, but that's the first time it's done that well!

Replaced part 0101M9 (Control unit, Rear Entertainment System).

@aww3583, Do you have the new B1.0.26 version? That just came out recently, and I wonder if that's the same update you were told about, or there is another in the works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
evandy
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing