Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new model and surprised to find side rails are no longer standard. I really only need the perpendicular cross bars anyway to attach a roofbag occasionally. Are there any crossbars I can buy that don't require side rails to attach to?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bought a new model and surprised to find side rails are no longer standard. I really only need the perpendicular cross bars anyway to attach a roofbag occasionally. Are there any crossbars I can buy that don't require side rails to attach to?
What exactly would you attach them to with no rails?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think Thule makes some that clamp to the gutters. I’m sure there are other brands also. Look at the attachments before deciding on a cross bar. I think they have different models that have different attachments. I could be wrong, I was looking for something different when I stumbled across that at the time. It would be worth you having a look though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, there is no way to secure cross bars to the roof without rails.

The rails are very easy to install and if you go black they are reasonably priced.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
There's a plus in having side rails on the roof. I installed the Honda oem roof rack kit on our 2019 Ody EX and found that the side rails are really handy to grab on to when I get up on my aluminum work platform to wash the van's roof. That alone was worth installing the roof rack with side rails, though that wasn't what I had in mind when I installed the rack.

aluminum work platform at homedepot

Not to mention of course having the roof rack to carry stuff on the roof. But be advised that the crossbars on the oem roof rack are rather close together. Honda should have spaced them farther apart.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There's a plus in having side rails on the roof. I installed the Honda oem roof rack kit on our 2019 Ody EX and found that the side rails are really handy to grab on to when I get up on my aluminum work platform to wash the van's roof. That alone was worth installing the roof rack with side rails, though that wasn't what I had in mind when I installed the rack.

aluminum work platform at homedepot

Not to mention of course having the roof rack to carry stuff on the roof. But be advised that the crossbars on the oem roof rack are rather close together. Honda should have spaced them farther apart.
I have the similar platform, I wished it could have been 10' long, so it would not have to be moved washing and drying the top on one side. Mine is 48" long with adjustable height legs and handles 375 #

1 - 7 of 7 Posts