Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2019 EX transmission fluid change

24K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  hortje3 
#1 ·
It seems none of the oil change businesses can do a tranny fluid change cause they can’t get the oil... proprietary to Honda? Honda sells the oil for $36/ qt, but are there any issues with doing this oil change as far as hidden filters or difficulties in getting to the fill area? Thanks...

#3 ·
^ I agree... when it comes to the ATF, especially if you're within the warranty period it's worth the gamble to let the dealership deal with it. In the grand scheme of things the ATF change isn't that expensive. Another option is that you could bring in your own fluids and they'll just charge you for the labor, which is >$150 iirc...

#4 ·
This would be the ONLY service I would consider going back to the dealer for.

#5 ·
^ I agree... when it comes to the ATF, especially if you're within the warranty period it's worth the gamble to let the dealership deal with it. In the grand scheme of things the ATF change isn't that expensive. Another option is that you could bring in your own fluids and they'll just charge you for the labor, which is >$150 iirc...
It isn't very expensive through the dealer but you get the peace of mind that there's at least some chance that dealer techs will know what they're doing. I wouldn't let quick lube places touch my transmission.
This would be the ONLY service I would consider going back to the dealer for.
What is the recommended mileage intervals for a ATF change? I don't have the manual with me. Since I have the 9-speed, I'm seriously thinking of letting the body shop (if they have a maintenance and repair section) to do it for me. Or should I go to the dealer to change the ATF since I have recalls.

#7 ·
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Honda says the initial change isn't due until 60K.

That being said, Honda will say whatever Honda will say. The car will be out of warranty at 60K, and if your transmission craps out at 65K, it's not their problem, it's yours. Toyota even says that their transmission fluid never needs to be changed. But, no fluid lasts forever. Just because their fluid lasts maybe, say, 150K miles, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed... perhaps if it is changed regularly, the transmission would last until 250K or 300K miles.

I think a 30K interval should be ok for keeping the fluid clean.

#9 ·
Correct it is 60K, because I remember looking over the service records on both of the potential 2018 Elites I test drove at the time that had over 100K on them and it was very evident that the ATF was changed at ~60K on both according to the service records and carfax.

About the lifetime ATF marketing jargon, that makes me cringe. :censored: I can't even imagine... ouch. 🤕

IMO it's all planned obsolescence from these auto makers. Broken transmission = $$$ and they don't care as they'll just ride it off as, well you got over 100K out of it what can you say, it's as expected... you want a new car anyway right? Go buy buy buy...

#28 ·
Think back a few auto generations ago, when you did have have a automatic transmission with a dipstick. In order to check the transmission fluid you needed to insure the engine/transmission was already to operating temperatures (warm). However no one checked the temperature of the transmission, they just checked after driving somewhere. As the transmission warms up the transmission oil will not only heat up but expand and change it's volume weight. Some of the transmission dipstick had a two sided reading. Cold on one side and hot on the other. Some of the foreign cars had the transmission oil temperature printed on the transmission case used for checking at either cold or hot. The owners manual would always told you the way to check it.
The Honda Odyssey does not use a dipstick to check but rather a view hole. There is also a fill hole and a drain plug. There is only 1 filter to change if necessary. To check the transmission fluid, drive the Honda until engine is warm, leave the engine running and remove the transmission view plug hole and the should be some oil come out however, the transmission fluid should be at the very bottom of the view plug where you should only have drops comings out not a stream. Put the view hole plug back in and shut off your ODY and you're finished checking your transmission level. This is for the 10-speed transmission (10XAT).

Reactions: unlock42
#30 ·
My 2013 Camry also did not have a dipstick. However, they did provide a procedure to get the fluid level correct for DIY people.

If I remember correctly, two OBDII terminals needed to be connected using a paper clip.
A series of steps (don't remember exactly) needed to be completed within ten seconds: open and close door, park to neutral several times, followed by starting the vehicle and putting in drive.

The vehicle needed to be on a lift or jack stands so they could freely spin. The vehicle would adjust the engine RPM as needed to get the transmission up to temperature. Once the transmission is at the correct temperature, the "D" gear position indicator would flash to indicate this. At this point, you would put the vehicle in park (while running) and remove the level check plug.

It is too bad Honda doesn't have a similar procedure for DIY people.

#31 ·
It wouldn't be too hard to find a sensor with 2 contacts on the inside a LED and "AA" battery added to the outside connector of sensor. The problem is the sensor would not be able to touch the bottom of the view port hole. They would be mounted into the center of the sensor plug. This could be left in with the LED and battery being able to unplug or extend some wires from the sensor plug long enough to reach the top of the engine compartment/bay to unplug it when not wanting to be checked. perhaps if we think about it we can come up with something this way, so you would not have to remove the view hole plug to check it.

Reactions: unlock42