Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems none of the oil change businesses can do a tranny fluid change cause they can’t get the oil... proprietary to Honda? Honda sells the oil for $36/ qt, but are there any issues with doing this oil change as far as hidden filters or difficulties in getting to the fill area? Thanks...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
811 Posts
It seems none of the oil change businesses can do a tranny fluid change cause they can’t get the oil... proprietary to Honda? Honda sells the oil for $36/ qt, but are there any issues with doing this oil change as far as hidden filters or difficulties in getting to the fill area? Thanks...
It isn't very expensive through the dealer but you get the peace of mind that there's at least some chance that dealer techs will know what they're doing. I wouldn't let quick lube places touch my transmission.

Reactions: MtMan and unlock42

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
411 Posts
^ I agree... when it comes to the ATF, especially if you're within the warranty period it's worth the gamble to let the dealership deal with it. In the grand scheme of things the ATF change isn't that expensive. Another option is that you could bring in your own fluids and they'll just charge you for the labor, which is >$150 iirc...

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
612 Posts
This would be the ONLY service I would consider going back to the dealer for.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Odyssey EX (3.5 V6 w/ 9-Speed ZF Auto) Forest Green Mint
29 Posts
^ I agree... when it comes to the ATF, especially if you're within the warranty period it's worth the gamble to let the dealership deal with it. In the grand scheme of things the ATF change isn't that expensive. Another option is that you could bring in your own fluids and they'll just charge you for the labor, which is >$150 iirc...
It isn't very expensive through the dealer but you get the peace of mind that there's at least some chance that dealer techs will know what they're doing. I wouldn't let quick lube places touch my transmission.
This would be the ONLY service I would consider going back to the dealer for.
What is the recommended mileage intervals for a ATF change? I don't have the manual with me. Since I have the 9-speed, I'm seriously thinking of letting the body shop (if they have a maintenance and repair section) to do it for me. Or should I go to the dealer to change the ATF since I have recalls.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What is the recommended mileage intervals for a ATF change? I don't have the manual with me. Since I have the 9-speed, I'm seriously thinking of letting the body shop (if they have a maintenance and repair section) to do it for me. Or should I go to the dealer to change the ATF since I have recalls.
Typically around 60k, but that's pushing it for most people for varies reasons.

I'd have the dealership perform the drain & flush.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
612 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Honda says the initial change isn't due until 60K.

That being said, Honda will say whatever Honda will say. The car will be out of warranty at 60K, and if your transmission craps out at 65K, it's not their problem, it's yours. Toyota even says that their transmission fluid never needs to be changed. But, no fluid lasts forever. Just because their fluid lasts maybe, say, 150K miles, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed... perhaps if it is changed regularly, the transmission would last until 250K or 300K miles.

I think a 30K interval should be ok for keeping the fluid clean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since there is nothing written, the car tells you, I think the first one we did at 30K and now we’re at 90K. Dealers are now asking $350 to do this.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Honda says the initial change isn't due until 60K.

That being said, Honda will say whatever Honda will say. The car will be out of warranty at 60K, and if your transmission craps out at 65K, it's not their problem, it's yours. Toyota even says that their transmission fluid never needs to be changed. But, no fluid lasts forever. Just because their fluid lasts maybe, say, 150K miles, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed... perhaps if it is changed regularly, the transmission would last until 250K or 300K miles.

I think a 30K interval should be ok for keeping the fluid clean.
Correct it is 60K, because I remember looking over the service records on both of the potential 2018 Elites I test drove at the time that had over 100K on them and it was very evident that the ATF was changed at ~60K on both according to the service records and carfax.

About the lifetime ATF marketing jargon, that makes me cringe. :censored: I can't even imagine... ouch. 🤕

IMO it's all planned obsolescence from these auto makers. Broken transmission = $$$ and they don't care as they'll just ride it off as, well you got over 100K out of it what can you say, it's as expected... you want a new car anyway right? Go buy buy buy...

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're under warranty, have the dealer do it. If we all follow the 60K mile interval and even if a dealer charges $600, it's 1 cent a mile. At $350, the cost is 0.58 cent a mile. At that cost per mile, it's just not worth taking a chance. The trans just cost too much money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Typically around 60k, but that's pushing it for most people for varies reasons.

I'd have the dealership perform the drain & flush.
I have decided to have an auto body shop to change the tranny fluid for the 9-Speed. The auto body quoted me $220 for the tranny fluid change and $700 for that pesky 3rd row window explosion. $920 in total. It's currently under a tick under 50k miles so, having it changed right now for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
612 Posts
I have decided to have an auto body shop to change the tranny fluid for the 9-Speed. The auto body quoted me $220 for the tranny fluid change and $700 for that pesky 3rd row window explosion. $920 in total. It's currently under a tick under 50k miles so, having it changed right now for the piece of mind.
Just make sure that they know how to do it. I don't believe it's a simple drain and fill like the older transmissions. If the 9 speed is anything like the sealed transmissions from Toyota or Hyundai, getting the fluid level correct at a specific temperature is very important.

Reactions: unlock42

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just make sure that they know how to do it. I don't believe it's a simple drain and fill like the older transmissions. If the 9 speed is anything like the sealed transmissions from Toyota or Hyundai, getting the fluid level correct at a specific temperature is very important.
I saw this video on YouTube,
It seems like a simple drain and replace. He also does a 2 month update on the vehicle on the tranny. The only thing the guy did wrong I guess is to not have a scan tool to access the live data in terms of the temperature of his tranny. He used a thermostat. I do hope the, auto body does a good job. It seems like the ZF 9-Speed Transmission fluid is quite expensive and I believe it takes 4 quarts. That alone is more than $100. $220 is not bad considering dealerships may cost around $300+.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It isn't a simple drain and fill. The level must be checked at a very specific temperature. I wouldn't let them do it if they don't have the right equipment and knowledge to do this correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It isn't a simple drain and fill. The level must be checked at a very specific temperature. I wouldn't let them do it if they don't have the right equipment and knowledge to do this correctly.
I'm afraid it's too late. What's the process then if it isn't a simple drain and fill? Doesn't auto repair or body shops have alldata and that can show the process of it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm afraid it's too late. What's the process then if it isn't a simple drain and fill? Doesn't auto repair or body shops have alldata and that can show the process of it?
If they said they can do it, they must know how to. Some transmissions are very difficult to change the fluid by running for X amount of time, then removing access plug at X temp and checking level. BMW has been doing this for over 20 years and I hate it. I like Dip stick checking.. but engine and trans oil but manufactors are trying to keep shade tree/weekenders from screwing the units up by removing access to dripsticks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If they said they can do it, they must know how to. Some transmissions are very difficult to change the fluid by running for X amount of time, then removing access plug at X temp and checking level. BMW has been doing this for over 20 years and I hate it. I like Dip stick checking.. but engine and trans oil but manufactors are trying to keep shade tree/weekenders from screwing the units up by removing access to dripsticks.
Removing the ATF dipstick was a major dirt bag of a move by the manufactures. Who's genius idea was it to force us to have to gauge the right level of ATF by a stupid fill hole? It just seems so backwards in tech, let alone having to make sure that it's to temp etc... It really makes me miss my older (simple) cars even more.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
612 Posts
Removing the ATF dipstick was a major dirt bag of a move by the manufactures. Who's genius idea was it to force us to have to gauge the right level of ATF by a stupid fill hole? It just seems so backwards in tech, let alone having to make sure that it's to temp etc... It really makes me miss my older (simple) cars even more.
I'm resisting this "new tech" of no ATF dipstick for as long as I can. Both my (older) 2001 and 2007 cars still have ATF dipsticks. I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to service one of these stupid sealed transmissions.

Reactions: unlock42

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a little worried since this is an auto body shop doing it but, they called me and I asked if there was a ATF Filter change and according to the receptionist, the filter is not needed. I've heard from somewhere that, changing the ATF Filter can be damaging to the ATF? I agree with the removal of the dipstick! It's called planned obsolescence, Scotty Kilmer's favorite words ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm resisting this "new tech" of no ATF dipstick for as long as I can. Both my (older) 2001 and 2007 cars still have ATF dipsticks. I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to service one of these stupid sealed transmissions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the trend of not having a dipstick really ramped up with these in house transmissions? With the exception of a few of the euro brands... but darn it almost makes you want to make your own ATF dipstick lol. Oh the metal shavings in the transmission nightmare that would be unless it was fully disassembled lol.. too much work to even satisfy our annoyance. It'd be neat though.

I'm a little worried since this is an auto body shop doing it but, they called me and I asked if there was a ATF Filter change and according to the receptionist, the filter is not needed. I've heard from somewhere that, changing the ATF Filter can be damaging to the ATF? I agree with the removal of the dipstick! It's called planned obsolescence, Scotty Kilmer's favorite words ;)
Even honda recommends to leave the ATF filter alone, along with NOT chemical flushing the transmission. ie... ATF Filter does not need to be changed as it should last the life of the transmission; however, if the ATF filter was needing change for whatever reason that's one thing that I'd have the dealership do, IF they'll even do it.

Planned Obsolescence indeed! A lot of stuff, not just cars have been going this way... aka...Disposable mode = Forced to Buy Mode. 🤕

1 - 20 of 31 Posts