Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having major issues with a dealership in Tucson where we purchased our 2019 Honda Ody back in 2019. We had problems with the sliding passenger side door from the beginning not closing properly but have been always able to get it to manually close. Last Tuesday, my wife went to close the door as it got stuck once again and this time the door came off its track and shattered the back window next to the track.
My wife called the dealer and even before they saw it they were telling her to file an insurance claim. I found it amazing as it was a defect of the sliding door that they would do it. Clearly, once they heard glass they didn't want anything to do with it.
They wanted to blame everything from dirt to soda, to the door being slammed but didn't want to acknowledge it was a defect in the workmanship of the door. The funny thing is I have pictures from when it happened and no debris of any kind was on or in the track. When the window shattered there was a piece of the pully system wrapped round and in the track that my wife had to clear out to get the door closed. I believe that the inside pully system was loose and over time it got caught in the track and kept getting stuck and pulled the door off its track.
The track is internal to the window and is studded onto the frame. Also, when we dropped the car off on Wednesday, they did not offer us any loaner car, instead sent my wife home in a Lyft and said it would be done on Thursday. They never called us on Thursday, I called and left a message with the advisor. Friday morning (today) I called them and they finally returned my call. The service advisor said the manager says it's not defective and is giving every excuse in the book. I speak to the manager and shoot down every theory he gives and even he acknowledges it could have come from the factory as a defect but still refuses to repair it.
Clearly, the dealership is hell-bent on not fixing it at this point. I call Honda and get a case number. The rest of the day goes by and still no updates from the dealership. I request and left two voicemails on the GM's (General Manager) voice mail. No return call at all from him.
Call the manager back to see what the status is and he says Honda is saying it's not warranted and he talked to a regional manager. I tell them if they don't fix it I will get it fixed and take them to small claims because this was from normal wear and tear. They still won't give me any status on repairs, won't return my calls other than when I call them. This has been a terrible experience.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You really screwed yourself by saying you continuously force the door closed manually.

When did you first start having issues with the door, and how long after discovery did it take you to bring it in to dealership?

Let’s say the water pump fails on my Odyssey, I don’t bring it in, and continuously drive it. Honda isn’t going to be at fault here for my warped engine block/head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really screwed yourself by saying you continuously force the door closed manually.

When did you first start having issues with the door, and how long after discovery did it take you to bring it in to dealership?

Let’s say the water pump fails on my Odyssey, I don’t bring it in, and continuously drive it. Honda isn’t going to be at fault here for my warped engine block/head.
I never said I continuously force the door closed manually. We were able to get it to close manually and didn't force anything. Often it would hang up and you press the button it would go back and you press it again and it would work. It was buggy but not to the point that it became a nuisance enough to warrant service. It wasn't until this happened that a smaller issue became much larger that was determined we needed service. We have only had the car for about 1 and 1/2 years and have only 25,000 miles on it. Regardless it's still under the warranty period.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,131 Posts
I always wondered they accessed the track to replace the center roller with the track being hidden behind the window. I suppose that's one way...

Anyway, welcome to the modernized 2021 Honda experience. Not quite like 10 years ago, eh?

Have you considered trying a different dealership?

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always wondered they accessed the track to replace the center roller with the track being hidden behind the window. I suppose that's one way...

Anyway, welcome to the modernized 2021 Honda experience. Not quite like 10 years ago, eh?

Have you considered trying a different dealership?
I wish I could. It's the same dealer no matter where you go in town.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ll tell you, that doesn’t look like normal fair wear and tear, and I’d sure be talking face to face with the GM, owner, whomever, to get resolve on it.
Never seen anything like that, and I hope you can get it fixed without lawyering up.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,131 Posts
I believe another user posted a thread about the same issue. On the same side as well.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,131 Posts
Really, I missed that one. I’ll have to look for it, as you can see I’m interested because I have a 19 EX-L.
Thanks I’ll check it out, if I can find it.
Here you go:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wow at those pictures—I think you will get more traction continuing to press the issue with corporate to cover it.

I don’t know why the dealer is being so difficult. They get paid if it’s warranty work from Honda so they should be trying to advocate for you. Even if it’s the same ownership each dealer has different service managers and leadership, may be worth calling around especially if one has seen this before.

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
309 Posts
Having major issues with a dealership in Tucson where we purchased our 2019 Honda Ody back in 2019. We had problems with the sliding passenger side door from the beginning not closing properly but have been always able to get it to manually close. Last Tuesday, my wife went to close the door as it got stuck once again and this time the door came off its track and shattered the back window next to the track.
My wife called the dealer and even before they saw it they were telling her to file an insurance claim. I found it amazing as it was a defect of the sliding door that they would do it. Clearly, once they heard glass they didn't want anything to do with it.
They wanted to blame everything from dirt to soda, to the door being slammed but didn't want to acknowledge it was a defect in the workmanship of the door. The funny thing is I have pictures from when it happened and no debris of any kind was on or in the track. When the window shattered there was a piece of the pully system wrapped round and in the track that my wife had to clear out to get the door closed. I believe that the inside pully system was loose and over time it got caught in the track and kept getting stuck and pulled the door off its track.
The track is internal to the window and is studded onto the frame. Also, when we dropped the car off on Wednesday, they did not offer us any loaner car, instead sent my wife home in a Lyft and said it would be done on Thursday. They never called us on Thursday, I called and left a message with the advisor. Friday morning (today) I called them and they finally returned my call. The service advisor said the manager says it's not defective and is giving every excuse in the book. I speak to the manager and shoot down every theory he gives and even he acknowledges it could have come from the factory as a defect but still refuses to repair it.
Clearly, the dealership is hell-bent on not fixing it at this point. I call Honda and get a case number. The rest of the day goes by and still no updates from the dealership. I request and left two voicemails on the GM's (General Manager) voice mail. No return call at all from him.
Call the manager back to see what the status is and he says Honda is saying it's not warranted and he talked to a regional manager. I tell them if they don't fix it I will get it fixed and take them to small claims because this was from normal wear and tear. They still won't give me any status on repairs, won't return my calls other than when I call them. This has been a terrible experience. View attachment 162945

View attachment 162946
It is too bad that Honda missed the opportunity to say we don’t feel that it is covered under warranty but we will fix it anyway to show good will towards customers. Now, you have pictures so the first thing to do is small claims court, and sue them for breach of contract in warranty coverage. Look at the pictures, it is common sense that materials failed.
Next learn how to use Facebook and Twitter and post the pictures on both with the warning that if Honda will not cover this obvious failure during normal warrant, what else won’t they cover under extended warranty. You just might get a call from somebody at Honda. Honda spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on advertising but does not have. $500 for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow. Sorry to see that damage. Surprised dealer or Honda won't step up.

So how do you service this recessed door track mechanism, all from the inside, remove glass or door?

I'm surprised the glass didn't completely shatter into thousands of pieces.
I'm impressed how the glass performed.

Good luck

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
309 Posts
Everyone should promote this thread on Twitter and get Autoblog or Car & Driver to pick it up.
Unfortunately, even if everyone did that Honda would not pay attention. The thing they will realize sooner or later is that things have consequences. After my VCM issues and my daughter's CRV gas smell in the cabin, Honda lost five sales to Toyota and Mazda from my family and they will never go back because of the way they were treated by the arrogant dealers. My daughter told the dealer you can't fix my problem, well I can, it is called RAV4.
I see the prices they are charging and I know if I have to get another vehicle I would go with BMW or Mercedes because I am finished with Honda as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Unfortunately, even if everyone did that Honda would not pay attention. The thing they will realize sooner or later is that things have consequences. After my VCM issues and my daughter's CRV gas smell in the cabin, Honda lost five sales to Toyota and Mazda from my family and they will never go back because of the way they were treated by the arrogant dealers. My daughter told the dealer you can't fix my problem, well I can, it is called RAV4.
I see the prices they are charging and I know if I have to get another vehicle I would go with BMW or Mercedes because I am finished with Honda as well.
Hate to say this - you think MB and BMW are better?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Earlier this year our 2019 Elite was bumped in the parking lot just behind the passenger sliding door.

After getting the car back from the body shop, the door "quacked" every so often while closing. The dealer discovered that the center rollers and track needed replacement. Unfortunately, that requires removing the rear window and needs someone from the body shop.

Long story short, our dealer and the body shop and the other person's insurance made it right (i.e. everything was replaced and fixed as needed).

What I realized is that by placing the sliding door center track just at and under the rear window (versus within the body sheet metal as in earlier versions) looks great but can vastly expand repair difficulty if something goes wrong.

While the new Odyssey is technology superior in so many ways, there are several things mechanically I think Honda actually did much better when look i at my 2004 Odyssey with just over 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,131 Posts
While the new Odyssey is technology superior in so many ways, there are several things mechanically I think Honda actually did much better when look i at my 2004 Odyssey with just over 300,000 miles.
Unfortunately Honda has dropped a lot since 2004. They're only a shadow of their former self.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hate to say this - you think MB and BMW are better?
Was thinking the same thing.....I can do it with Toyota or Mazda...love our 2013 CX-5. Might be funny, but now days one of the things I look when shopping for a car is how easy mechanically is to fix/repair. The CX-5 bay is wide open with a sweet and slow 4 cylinder, everything is right there waiting for u.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts