Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,530 Posts
Was thinking the same thing.....I can do it with Toyota or Mazda...love our 2013 CX-5. Might be funny, but now days one of the things I look when shopping for a car is how easy mechanically is to fix/repair. The CX-5 bay is wide open with a sweet and slow 4 cylinder, everything is right there waiting for u.
Right there with you. I try to do most of my own maintenance, but I'm not a mechanic. I like things easy. That's why I'm a big fan of I-4 engines... usually much more room in the engine bay too.

I've been avoiding transmissions without dipsticks for this very reason as well. If I can't change the ATF myself, I don't want it. Of course, I could change the ATF in a sealed transmission, but I won't know what I'm doing or how to accurately measure, and I'm not sure I want to chance destroying my transmission.

Serviceability is right up there in importance with reliability and safety. I'd rather change the spark plugs on an I-4 every 30K miles than tackle one of those Toyota V6 rear banks every 120K. I also currently own a 2011 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.7L... that water pump is internal to the engine and is over $2K to replace. Give me a Honda V6 that costs $700 to do the timing belt and water pump every 100K instead.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
"Normal wear and tear" on a car door does not render it inoperative after a couple years. That points to defective (substandard) parts.

The warranty likely excludes "consequential" damage, but that should be externalities (the fluid leak ruined the beutiful carpet in my garage), not affected parts of the car (the damage to the head when the rod snaps).

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to update, It's now Saturday night. Still no calls from any advisor, no calls at all from Champan Honda to update me on the status. The GM did call me but I missed the call and called back twice with no return since then. It's amazing that these people are refusing to reach out to me and have dropped the ball. The only time they call is when I call to check and that's only if they feel like it. No one over there is taking the initiative to tell me what's going on with my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If you wind up going to small claims, be sure to sue the right party, the Warrantor. As shown in your warranty.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. Buy Toyota and don't look back. Personally had enough of being Honda's whipping boy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've owned many, many cars (too many - I lease).
BMW and Honda have both been a crap-shoot.
My 2011 5-series was beautiful and well-optioned. Great interior, awesome wheels. And a new major issue every week.
My 2013 5-series was cooler looking, but interior was awful and audio system was crap (stupidity took an inbound car w/o HK).

Yet our Odyssey has been top-3 in reliability. Dating back 30 years when the most reliable cars were lightly optioned Honda Civics with zero options.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Right there with you. I try to do most of my own maintenance, but I'm not a mechanic. I like things easy. That's why I'm a big fan of I-4 engines... usually much more room in the engine bay too.

I've been avoiding transmissions without dipsticks for this very reason as well. If I can't change the ATF myself, I don't want it. Of course, I could change the ATF in a sealed transmission, but I won't know what I'm doing or how to accurately measure, and I'm not sure I want to chance destroying my transmission.

Serviceability is right up there in importance with reliability and safety. I'd rather change the spark plugs on an I-4 every 30K miles than tackle one of those Toyota V6 rear banks every 120K. I also currently own a 2011 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.7L... that water pump is internal to the engine and is over $2K to replace. Give me a Honda V6 that costs $700 to do the timing belt and water pump every 100K instead.
I'm on the same boat, fixing my own cars, family or Friends is like a hobby. Jeje...love the 4 cylinder valve cover gasket lol...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having major issues with a dealership in Tucson where we purchased our 2019 Honda Ody back in 2019. We had problems with the sliding passenger side door from the beginning not closing properly but have been always able to get it to manually close. Last Tuesday, my wife went to close the door as it got stuck once again and this time the door came off its track and shattered the back window next to the track.
My wife called the dealer and even before they saw it they were telling her to file an insurance claim. I found it amazing as it was a defect of the sliding door that they would do it. Clearly, once they heard glass they didn't want anything to do with it.
They wanted to blame everything from dirt to soda, to the door being slammed but didn't want to acknowledge it was a defect in the workmanship of the door. The funny thing is I have pictures from when it happened and no debris of any kind was on or in the track. When the window shattered there was a piece of the pully system wrapped round and in the track that my wife had to clear out to get the door closed. I believe that the inside pully system was loose and over time it got caught in the track and kept getting stuck and pulled the door off its track.
The track is internal to the window and is studded onto the frame. Also, when we dropped the car off on Wednesday, they did not offer us any loaner car, instead sent my wife home in a Lyft and said it would be done on Thursday. They never called us on Thursday, I called and left a message with the advisor. Friday morning (today) I called them and they finally returned my call. The service advisor said the manager says it's not defective and is giving every excuse in the book. I speak to the manager and shoot down every theory he gives and even he acknowledges it could have come from the factory as a defect but still refuses to repair it.
Clearly, the dealership is hell-bent on not fixing it at this point. I call Honda and get a case number. The rest of the day goes by and still no updates from the dealership. I request and left two voicemails on the GM's (General Manager) voice mail. No return call at all from him.
Call the manager back to see what the status is and he says Honda is saying it's not warranted and he talked to a regional manager. I tell them if they don't fix it I will get it fixed and take them to small claims because this was from normal wear and tear. They still won't give me any status on repairs, won't return my calls other than when I call them. This has been a terrible experience. View attachment 162945

View attachment 162946
Drive it through the front door and leave it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having major issues with a dealership in Tucson where we purchased our 2019 Honda Ody back in 2019. We had problems with the sliding passenger side door from the beginning not closing properly but have been always able to get it to manually close. Last Tuesday, my wife went to close the door as it got stuck once again and this time the door came off its track and shattered the back window next to the track.
My wife called the dealer and even before they saw it they were telling her to file an insurance claim. I found it amazing as it was a defect of the sliding door that they would do it. Clearly, once they heard glass they didn't want anything to do with it.
They wanted to blame everything from dirt to soda, to the door being slammed but didn't want to acknowledge it was a defect in the workmanship of the door. The funny thing is I have pictures from when it happened and no debris of any kind was on or in the track. When the window shattered there was a piece of the pully system wrapped round and in the track that my wife had to clear out to get the door closed. I believe that the inside pully system was loose and over time it got caught in the track and kept getting stuck and pulled the door off its track.
The track is internal to the window and is studded onto the frame. Also, when we dropped the car off on Wednesday, they did not offer us any loaner car, instead sent my wife home in a Lyft and said it would be done on Thursday. They never called us on Thursday, I called and left a message with the advisor. Friday morning (today) I called them and they finally returned my call. The service advisor said the manager says it's not defective and is giving every excuse in the book. I speak to the manager and shoot down every theory he gives and even he acknowledges it could have come from the factory as a defect but still refuses to repair it.
Clearly, the dealership is hell-bent on not fixing it at this point. I call Honda and get a case number. The rest of the day goes by and still no updates from the dealership. I request and left two voicemails on the GM's (General Manager) voice mail. No return call at all from him.
Call the manager back to see what the status is and he says Honda is saying it's not warranted and he talked to a regional manager. I tell them if they don't fix it I will get it fixed and take them to small claims because this was from normal wear and tear. They still won't give me any status on repairs, won't return my calls other than when I call them. This has been a terrible experience. View attachment 162945

View attachment 162946
Don’t forget to share this experience on Yelp and any social media specifically naming the dealership.

·
Registered
315 Posts
In 2017 our ody’s seat belts were not retracting anymore so I went to Chapman to take advantage of the lifetime seatbelt safety warranty. They decided to “clean” the belt fabric and call it good. The next morning the belts were back to not retracting but we were in a furious prep-to-move and I couldn’t get back in there to make them do it right. BTW they charged me labor for the ”clean”. Go up to the auto mall. Dealers behave differently when they have a dozen competitors within view.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Call the manager back to see what the status is and he says Honda is saying it's not warranted and he talked to a regional manager. I tell them if they don't fix it I will get it fixed and take them to small claims because this was from normal wear and tear. They still won't give me any status on repairs, won't return my calls other than when I call them. This has been a terrible experience

View attachment 162946

Accountability and Competition. These are the two things that make companies pay for their mistakes.
Honda doesn't sell the same reliable vehicle it did 10, 20, or better yet 30 years ago. Unfortunately, their competition isn't much better. Unless you are talking about Toyota, and even then they have been pretty disappointing.
The best revenge is extensive research and knowledge. Before buying any vehicle, conduct extensive research to find the best possible vehicle for the money. If you buy a lemon, hold the manufacturer accountable for their failures. When your vehicle develops problems, immediately call the dealership and have it repaired under warranty. If you have mechanical problems outside of warranty, research to find out if there are any recalls or disgruntled owners. Maybe together you can file a class-action lawsuit and make Honda pay dearly.
I have a 16-year-old odyssey (2006) that I may never sell because it has been one of the best vehicles I've owned. I take exceptional care of the transmission, motor, etc. When something goes wrong, I know exactly what repair is needed. I've never had a mechanic tell me what is needed, because I know ahead of time.
If you don't know your vehicles, you will pay through the nose for repairs.
Let your Honda dealership and Honda know what you think of their vehicles. Owners can write letters to Honda, and stop buying from them. Tell your family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances about your "Honda experiences" and make sure they understand exactly what trouble you and other owners have had. When enough consumers stop buying Honda vehicles they will either have to greatly improve their cars, or go out of business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something similar happened with my odyssey just last week, roller came off the track shattered the rear quarter window. never had any issues with the door before this that I recall, I do now every now and then I would have to help it close but that was not frequent. this time it only opened half way and then started to close (struck me as i was trying to get my son our of the car), i reoped the door to get it moving in the right direction and assist it in making it, and whoops. guess i gave it to much assistance. i'm not a big person so there is no way it should be possible to pull the roller out of the track that easily. I had to force the roller back into the track in order to get it closed. glass is barely hanging on and my dealership is saying parts are on back order so no idea when we can get it fixed... they refused any warranty claim, (i'm 2 months out anyway) but said even if it was in warranty this would not be a legitimate claim and they wouldn't' cover it. which is a bit disappointing as I don't feel as though it should be possible for the roller to escape the rail that easily, espeically when the damage it does is pretty significant.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
55 Posts
Something similar happened with my odyssey just last week, roller came off the track shattered the rear quarter window. never had any issues with the door before this that I recall, I do now every now and then I would have to help it close but that was not frequent. this time it only opened half way and then started to close (struck me as i was trying to get my son our of the car), i reoped the door to get it moving in the right direction and assist it in making it, and whoops. guess i gave it to much assistance. i'm not a big person so there is no way it should be possible to pull the roller out of the track that easily. I had to force the roller back into the track in order to get it closed. glass is barely hanging on and my dealership is saying parts are on back order so no idea when we can get it fixed... they refused any warranty claim, (i'm 2 months out anyway) but said even if it was in warranty this would not be a legitimate claim and they wouldn't' cover it. which is a bit disappointing as I don't feel as though it should be possible for the roller to escape the rail that easily, espeically when the damage it does is pretty significant.
It's shit like this that makes me hate certain auto manufacturers. Clearly something is wrong otherwise this crap wouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm still fighting with Honda over this. I have a case number but the case manager is not returning my calls at all. I have called several times and my car is still sitting at the dealership, it's been a week. The dealership (Champan Honda) is also refusing to take my calls and won't return them. Every time it's they are either out on a test drive or with another customer. This has been frustrating. They are still insisting I file an insurance claim on a problem that is mechanical with their car. I already talked with Geico and they said they would deny the claim because there was no physical accident that happened and Geico is saying Honda should honor their warranty. I'm about to laywer up.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I would suggest you get a quote from a local, independent glass shop so you can make an informed decision as to whether you are likely to come out ahead financially by hiring a lawyer.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know this isn’t the route you want to go, but the insurance company should cover the claim even if no accident happened. It would probably be comprehensive not collision. Same concept as if a big rock hit the windshield.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I know this isn’t the route you want to go, but the insurance company should cover the claim even if no accident happened. It would probably be comprehensive not collision. Same concept as if a big rock hit the windshield.
Why should I have to make an insurance claim for something that is 1. a mechanical issue and 2. still under warranty.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,530 Posts
Why should I have to make an insurance claim for something that is 1. a mechanical issue and 2. still under warranty.
He's not saying that you should have to. He's just saying that Geico shouldn't be saying the claim would be denied.

Reactions: tritan

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hard to know whether it makes sense to file a claim without knowing your glass deductible. If you have full glass coverage, it should be your path of least resistance. I've had glass covered under comprehensive for: unknown cause of damage; a 2x4 shifting while being transported; a kayak contacting backlite while being loaded; several road rocks. And other causes.

Let Geico pursue Honda via subrogation. If they can be bothered for a few hundred.

Reactions: lindros2

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i got a call from my dealership today, Honda America has agreed to cover 60% of the quoted $1700 repair, so not ideal, but considering my Van is technically out of warranty i feel like this is pretty decent (and as a side note i didn't buy the van from this dealership, and i try to do a lot of the service myself, so they don't see me for much other than recalls, not sure how much that play into good will in a case like this but i know it's not helping. I'm pretty happy with $680, if i don't have to do the work myself. Seems Honda is recognizing that this isn't completely normal and the sheet metal rail they used is way to flimsy when failure results in a broken rear quarter window.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts