Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2019 honda odyssey hit in stone!!!!

10K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  GrayOdyssey2 
#1 ·
如标题所述,我的汽车在高速公路上以正常速度行驶,一块石头飞了过来,当我回到家时,我看到一个洞,是的,好像它被子弹穿透一样,你可以想象这辆车有多薄身体是,我不知道该找谁!我认为我不应该为此维修付费。我不知道有人遭受过与我相同的痛苦。请告诉我一个合理的解决方案!谢谢!
Hand Vehicle door Finger Water Glass

See less See more
#2 ·
As the title said, my car was driving at normal speed on the highway, a stone flew over, and when I got home I saw a hole, yes, as if it was penetrated by a bullet, you can imagine this car How thin my body is, I don't know who to look for! I don't think I should pay for this repair. I don't know anyone who has suffered the same as me. Please tell me a reasonable solution! Thank you!

#12 ·
As the title said, my car was driving at normal speed on the highway, a stone flew over, and when I got home I saw a hole, yes, as if it was penetrated by a bullet, you can imagine this car How thin my body is, I don't know who to look for! I don't think I should pay for this repair. I don't know anyone who has suffered the same as me. Please tell me a reasonable solution! Thank you!

View attachment 153618 h

哈哈, 我刚刚在找关于我的Honda Odyssey的问题,竟然就看到你发帖! 哈哈 好巧嗄 我是Frank那个朋友

#6 ·
That is one heck of a stone.

Were you going 150mph behind a gravel truck?

I honestly don’t believe the story. I drive 35k miles a year, and my van gets hit by stones every day, never once seen anything like that. When you’re going at speed, the stones have energy and they skim across the hood.

You could take the claw end of a hammer and wack your hood, and it wouldn’t penetrate like that.

#13 ·
Joking aside, I have to agree with this. I cut and form sheet metal of similar gauge (16 Awg down to 30 awg) on a daily basis and part of those activities involves making holes using the sharp end of a flat head screw driver and striking it with an 8oz hammer. In order to make a hole that big with one blow to it uses more force than any normal road debris or gravel would have when it is thrown up by tires or bouncing along the road. Often times it’s multiple strikes with a hammer and that is opening a hole with a sharp object, not a blunt rock. You either had a boulder hit your car (the damage would be larger than what you show) or something else happened to it that is beyond normal circumstances. Is it possible this happened while you were away from it and it was only noticed on the arrival at that destination? Such as a trailer backed into you or something fell onto the van?

Contact your insurance company. The deductible will probably be cheeper than the repair. If the metal is fatigued or cracked they should be able to determine that pretty quick. The edges of the metal looks a little uncommon for the impact you described but even if there was a pre existing fracture in the metal it would still take a mighty large jagged rock to push it in and cause damage like that. The odds are against you on that one. If they determine the metal had a defect that happened to get hit by a rock with a high enough velocity and mass and hit the defect with a precision strike to cause that damage, first buy a lottery ticket then take it to Honda and have a discussion with them. But what you’ve described and what you have shown don’t match up. Seems like something else caused that damage. Can’t see how this is a quality issue yet. Let us know what your insurance company determines.

How loud was the impact when the rock hit your van?

If you have dash cam footage of the impact we would also like to see that as well.

Post a picture a little further zoomed out and without your finger next to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
如标题所述,我的汽车在高速公路上以正常速度行驶,一块石头飞了过来,当我回到家时,我看到一个洞,是的,好像它被子弹穿透一样,你可以想象这辆车有多薄身体是,我不知道该找谁!我认为我不应该为此维修付费。我不知道有人遭受过与我相同的痛苦。请告诉我一个合理的解决方案!谢谢! View attachment 153617 View attachment 153617

#9 ·
Here is a rough, literal translation. At least we can get a rough idea of the post from this...

... traveling at normal speed on the highway, a stone flew over, when I got home, I saw a hole, yes, as if it was the same bullet penetrated, you can imagine it the car how thin body, I do not know who to turn to! I think I should not pay for the repairs. I do not know anyone and I suffered the same pain. Please tell me a reasonable solution! Thank you!

#16 ·
From the image, it looks like the hole was made from the inside --> out. Does anyone else think that? It's as if a bullet was fired from somewhere inside the panel in an outward direction. Just look at the way the metal is bent outward instead of inward. Something's fishy here.

#21 ·
From the image, it looks like the hole was made from the inside --> out. Does anyone else think that?
+1 on that.
It also seams to be going across the front edge of the hood, thus unlikely to have been incurred while traveling at speed.

My working assumption is that the hole was picked up while vehicle was parked, with hood open. Either a projectile intersected with the hood, or the hood was smacked on something that was left lying in the engine bay.

It's as if a bullet was fired from somewhere inside the panel in an outward direction. Just look at the way the metal is bent outward instead of inward. Something's fishy here.
Unless, of course, the OP is posting from Afghanistan, Iraq, or Iran. Hard to tell from the profile.
In which case, the set of viable hole generation scenarios grows exponentially....

#17 ·
What about the fact that the metal edges are bent outward? As PJones mentioned, if one was to puncture the metal with an awl and hammer to create a starter hole (for example), the metal edges would be bent inward. How does the OP explain that? That impact came from the inside unless I'm missing something here.

#18 · (Edited)
That's a good point - I didn't notice that at first. So maybe something went in and then got pulled out? Is this Tiger Woods' van? Maybe the OP's wife came at him with a golf club? :p

I'm positive Honda's not going to lift a finger for that - that's purely environmental damage. So if the OP is here looking for a way to get Honda to pay for this and hasn't already thought of calling his insurance company, I'd have to ask why. That should be an obvious first step.

I'd guess it's because there's no comprehensive coverage in place. And if there's no comprehensive coverage on a $35K-45K van, it couldn't have been financed. If it wasn't financed, it was bought for cash. And if you have that much cash at your disposal, maybe a new hood isn't that big an outlay. Bernardi Parts is quoting about $425 for a new hood panel for a 2019 Ody. By the time you get it painted and installed, it's probably up to a grand or so. Painting it should be easy for any body shop. It's a mostly flat rectangular panel that doesn't really have to be colour matched or blended in - how much could a 2019 Odyssey's paint have faded? It may be not even worth pursuing through insurance, even if it were in place. Most comprehensive deductibles I'm aware of range from $500 to $1000 anyway.

Another possibility is that the OP actually has spoken to his insurance company and they're not buying the story either. That would make it an at-fault claim which would send his premiums skyward and which any of us would always try to avoid. So now he needs to find a way to get someone else to pay for the repair.

#19 ·
I've come close to doing something similar when servicing my F250 Ford trucks years ago. In a rush, sometimes I left a substantial tool on the rad or engine block and then closed the hood. If the tool was tall enough, it would have poked through the hood from the inside to outside. Fortunately, I never made that error but I came close a few times! That's the only way I can see damage like that occurring. The only other way is if the hood on the OP's car was open and someone fired a shot. Where's Inspector Clouseau when you need him :D!?

#20 ·
All you guys above posting reasonable reasons why it could happen are all wrong!!! No matter what happened, how fast OP was going and who threw that rock at him - It is clearly Honda's issues!! Shame on you Honda for not giving us bullet proof Odysseys !!!! HOW DARE YOU!!?!??!??! Honda such a fraud! Very disappointing!!

#23 ·
What if Wolverine was clipping his nails in the area and left shards of adamantium that could be kicked up into a car's hood? Or maybe the OP is in Wakanda and Black Panther lost some bits of vibranium? That could TOTALLY happen, right? ?

OK - I think I'm done now. ?

#25 ·
我知道人们不会相信这个故事,但是我想说的是它确实存在!我没撒谎!那天晚上,我可以看到这块石头向我飞来(你可以想象晚上有一块石头飞向你)我可以很清楚地听到声音,砰!所以我说我和周围的朋友从未遇到过这样的事情。我相信没有人见过面。如果没有发生在您身上,没人会相信!我想如果有机会,我想找到一个专业的机构来测试它!

#26 · (Edited)
You'd be better off to just pay the thousand bucks for a new hood and get on with life. If insurance can't or won't help you, neither will Honda. Their warranty specifically excludes environmental damage (in other words, damage caused by where you put your vehicle). Something hitting your hood hard enough to punch a hole in it is not a manufacturing defect.

A windstorm could knock down a tree that caves in the roof of your van. Honda will not accept responsibility for that damage either. It's not their fault the van was under the tree - it's the owner who decides where the van goes and the owner is responsible for what happens to the van there. The same principle applies to your situation. That's what insurance is for.

Reactions: Danielcao
#27 ·
[QUOTE =“ CroMath,帖子:2360026,成员:742841”]
您最好花一千美元买一个新的引擎盖,然后继续生活。如果保险不能帮助您,本田也不会。他们的保修明确排除环境损害(换句话说,由您放置车辆造成的损害)。足以严重击打发动机罩的东西并不是制造上的缺陷。

暴风雨可能会使倒在货车车顶上的树倒塌。本田也不承担任何责任。货车在树下不是他们的错-货车由谁决定,货车的主人要负责。同样的原则适用于您的情况。那就是保险的目的。
[/引用]
Ťhank you

#31 ·
It's likely something like that has happened. The dead give-away is the outward direction of the shredded metal. There's no way a stone did that. If it were me, I'd smack myself in the fivehead (it used to be a forehead but I'm losing hair in my old age), suck it up, and pay the damn bill.

#30 ·
I've had this happen before, except it was a Humvee with a fiberglass (or whatever its made of) hood. I was driving on the perimeter road on a base in Iraq when I heard a loud pop and suddenly a hole in the hood. I thought I was being shot at from outside the perimeter wire. Steering wheel was shaking, pulled over later down the road and realized the tire (runflats) exploded and made that loud pop noise and sent a rock through the hood. Never been so happy to have a flat tire in my life.

#34 ·
Keeping in mind I’ve only looked at the photo on a small dark cellphone screen, I have no reason to disbelieve the OP about being hit by something, I just don’t believe it was a stone or a result of poor build quality. The OP has no reason to lie to us because they have nothing to gain from it (unless they were trying to throw sand in Honda’s eyes, but this would be a poor way to do that due to the described event causing such unrealistic damage). It could easily have been a heavy metal car part littered on the road that got kicked up from a car in front or some other large piece of metal. The hole looks like an indent at one end and an outward pull at the other so it could have been an item that punctured in and ripped out as it flew past. Whatever happened still doesn’t lie blame on Honda’s build quality.

To the OP: That looks like an insurance claim. Just be thankful it didn’t hit the windshield and proceed knowing that you lived to see another day. The outcome could have been worse. I bet if you return to the location the incident took place you will find the culprit laying on the road hopefully to the side so it doesn’t happen to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Excellent points, pjones. Despite the desire to make "cosmetic" things a lot lighter, it's nice that Honda has kept the beef behind the panels. I suspect they have exceeded the safety requirements in this area. They have the best overall rating for safety, as far as I know. We have heard of some horrendous crashes from forum members. Some Odysseys were completed destroyed but thankfully, the person(s) walked away. Honda may have cheaped out in some areas but safety wasn't one of them. Good for them :D!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.