Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our van last May and as soon as the weather turned hotter we started experiencing problems with our AC. It would suddenly stop cooling whether we were driving, at a stop light or parked with the ac running. The problem was intermittent and of course didn't happen when we took it in for service. It has started again and the dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it and can't seem to do anything unless they experience it for themselves. We are very frustrated! I did some searching and found some similar complaints. I would like to know if anyone has actually gotten the dealer to fix the issue and how did they fix it. Any help would be enormously appreciated!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also am totally unimpressed with the AC in my 2018. I’ve addressed it with my dealer, and they 100% blame it on the refrigerant. The intermittent cutting out at stoplights etc...are by design they claim. In any event, since removing the 2nd AC compressor for the rear, the AC just plain sucks. Try to get a Black Odyssey with Mocha (grey) interior cooled down or kept cool when it’s over 100 degrees out. It’s not happening.....not even with 35% ceramic tint on all windows....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar issues in this thread here:

I've never had the issue, but apparently due to incorrect freon levels from the factory.
Thank you for this information. I need to deal with my air conditioner, too. And, I know that A/C repair services are expensive, so I want to solve this problem myself. Because I have a lot of loans and I don't have the ability to spend extra money on air conditioning repairs. So I'm looking for the information about this in different forums, and I found something in other threads as well. Thank you for helping each other, it's very valuable.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thank you for this information. I need to deal with my air conditioner, too.
Though this thread is old, there was another (and many more) similar thread discussing this issue. The misconception here is that the van had a second compressor; this is untrue. There was only one compressor and one condenser. However, there was a front and rear evaporator core.

When I purchased my '19 Odyssey, This was one of 7 items I asked my sales person to give to the PDI guy and get it checked out. I have about 38K miles on the van and no issues with AC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think car dealers would know anything about the mechanics of all these air conditioner issues. Right now from what I am reading it should be an either the compressor has broken down or the refrigerant has run out? If your car is new maybe it could just be a wiring issue to your air con. I have had similar issues before and went to lkbrothers.com to help with my air con repair. They are very efficient and professional.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't think car dealers would know anything about the mechanics of all these air conditioner issues. Right now from what I am reading it should be an either the compressor has broken down or the refrigerant has run out? If your car is new maybe it could just be a wiring issue to your air con. I have had similar issues before and went to lkbrothers.com to help with my air con repair. They are very efficient and professional.
Are you suggesting the OP go all the way to Singapore to get his AC fixed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just purchased a new 2020 EX-L (Nav & Res) two weeks ago (approx 1100 miles). Took the van on a 6 hour round trip with temps in the low 90's, kids demanded the rear AC on high for the full trip in order o 'be comfortable'. I am pretty disappointed in the AC performance compared to our 2011 Pilot. Last week I took the van to the dealership and expressed my disappointment and asked them to please check it out. They responded with 'AC was overcharged, performed a dump and refill to appropriate levels'. I don't trust dealerships in general (bad experience/history), the pessimistic side of me wonders if they just told me that to placate me and the other side REALLY wants that to be the issue and they really did fix it. I also had ceramic tint installed all around later that same day so its hard to say any improvement is caused by just the recharge of the AC. BUT my wife says she can feel a noticeable difference. I remain skeptical.

Just curious, do these systems have an orifice tube and can it be changed out for a smaller tube?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just purchased a new 2020 EX-L (Nav & Res) two weeks ago (approx 1100 miles). Took the van on a 6 hour round trip with temps in the low 90's, kids demanded the rear AC on high for the full trip in order o 'be comfortable'. I am pretty disappointed in the AC performance compared to our 2011 Pilot. Last week I took the van to the dealership and expressed my disappointment and asked them to please check it out. They responded with 'AC was overcharged, performed a dump and refill to appropriate levels'. I don't trust dealerships in general (bad experience/history), the pessimistic side of me wonders if they just told me that to placate me and the other side REALLY wants that to be the issue and they really did fix it. I also had ceramic tint installed all around later that same day so its hard to say any improvement is caused by just the recharge of the AC. BUT my wife says she can feel a noticeable difference. I remain skeptical.

Just curious, do these systems have an orifice tube and can it be changed out for a smaller tube?
Do not know if it has a orifice/capillary tube/expansion valve. However the 2018-2020 all have this similar problem, and it appears that Honda cannot find the equipment or worker personnel to checkout why so many ODY's have been found with a overcharged system. Even an ounce or so can break down it's cooling capabilities. The ODy's have only one evaporator located under the front dash and you will see 2 blower fan housing over the 1 evaporator. The blower fans are for the front louvers and the rear fan takes care of the middle and back louvers. After my Ody was checked due to no AC they found the same thing it was overcharged so the dumped the refrigerant and WEIGHED in the refrigerant charge.
It was fixed and I was happy. Nuff said!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2020 EX-L which has about 800 miles. I’ve noticed that the while the A/C blows somewhat cool air when feeling the air from the vents with my hand, it’s not cold enough to make the van even close to being acceptable. This is specially true after parking in the hot sun. I called Honda service at the dealership and they mentioned that they’re seeing a lot of Odysseys having the refrigrant overcharged by the factory and they suspect was the case with my van. I thought it would be a quick service visit and was thinking I’d just wait for it but they said they’ll need the car most the day because it’ll take about 4 hours for the machine connected to the car to diagnose the cooling problem. I think that’s hogwash but now I need to get someone to pick me up then drive me back because of this Covid thing. They’re not offering any courtesy vehicle and I’m not comfortable taking Uber / Lyft yet. Really disappointed with Honda right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UDPATE: went on a 1800 mile trip this past weekend. I think the A/C performance was MUCH better on this trip after the visit to the Service department. I still wish the A/C was a better system, but overall I think it is workable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
First off, the old Odys had two evaporators, not two compressors. And I wanted to chime in that our 2019 Ody was also overfilled from the factory but it took a couple of visits to my dealer to finally get them to see the short cycling of the cooling fans at 35,500 miles. The service invoice says they found it to have 0.77 kg of refrigerant, and after a 3-hour hot evac they refilled it with the specified upper limit of refrigerant (0.625 kg, IIRC).

And it seems to work well now. We just completed a 10-hour-each-way road trip in some hot weather and nobody complained of discomfort.

Reactions: Burksta

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also, may want to turn off the engine idle stop/auto stop, as the compressor shuts down as well, letting the cabin get toasty fairly quickly on these ultra hot and humid days. I know you said it happens while driving as well, but wanted to mention about when stopped at ultra long red light cycles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The idle stop is programmed to keep the engine running when temps cause the HVAC demand to be high in effort to keep the cabin comfortable.

To disable idle stop, open the hood after driving a short while with the engine still running. Prop the hood open. Turn the ignition off. Let the hood down to engage the hood latch closed. The next time you drive the idle stop should never engage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The idle stop is programmed to keep the engine running when temps cause the HVAC demand to be high in effort to keep the cabin comfortable.

To disable idle stop, open the hood after driving a short while with the engine still running. Prop the hood open. Turn the ignition off. Let the hood down to engage the hood latch closed. The next time you drive the idle stop should never engage.
Yes, but even with that programming, especially with recent weather, we've found it doesn't kick back on soon enough for our liking. As for your hood open "hack" wouldn't it just be easier to push the button on the dash right after you start the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased our van last May and as soon as the weather turned hotter we started experiencing problems with our AC. It would suddenly stop cooling whether we were driving, at a stop light or parked with the ac running. The problem was intermittent and of course didn't happen when we took it in for service. It has started again and the dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it and can't seem to do anything unless they experience it for themselves. We are very frustrated! I did some searching and found some similar complaints. I would like to know if anyone has actually gotten the dealer to fix the issue and how did they fix it. Any help would be enormously appreciated!!
Try turning off ECON mode. With the ECON mode turned on, the ECM will partially take over control of the A/C system . The A/C system may be turned off completely or the A/C system interior fans will be shut off/on/slowed down, in attempt to get you better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Try turning off ECON mode. With the ECON mode turned on, the ECM will partially take over control of the A/C system . The A/C system may be turned off completely or the A/C system interior fans will be shut off/on/slowed down in attempt to get you better gas mileage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I test drove a 2020 EX about a month ago. It was brand new -- 6 miles on the odometer, and had a build date of June 2020 on the door tag. My biggest complaint from the test drive was that the A/C was terrible! In the 20-25 min we drove it, the air conditioning never blew cold air. It would switch between warm/muggy air, and cooler, drier air. Granted, it was nearly 100 degrees and high humidity, typical of mid-atlantic summers, but my old 2004 Odyssey was blowing 48 degrees after 10-15 min that same day. Yes, I have a thermometer stuck in the vent on the old car, and I would've taken it on the 2020 test drive had I known had bad the A/C would be.

The other issue I noticed was some strange drone from the driveline when transitioning from acceleration to cruising speed on highways. I think it was transmission related, but maybe VCM?

All that said, I am willing to try a 2021 when they come out (Aug 3?) and if the A/C is working properly I just might buy one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts