Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2019 Odyssey - dealer used wrong ATF fluid

6734 Views 22 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  bandit400
Hello all. My wife has a 2019 Odyssey Elite that has the 10 speed transmission in it. The maintenance minder noted it was due for trans fluid change so I decided to take it to the local dealer where it was bought to have it done. I started to do it myself but decided not to because of it being a new transmission. When it was picked up today, the invoice clearly states that they used 4 quarts of Type 3.1 fluid (08200-9017). Everything I have read says that this transmission uses the Type 2.0 fluid. I would have confronted the service manager but due to our schedules, the wift paid over the phone and the van was picked up after hours. Has anyone had this kind of experience and if so, how did you address it. I'm going to check the manual to see if it states the type of fluid to use because I expect them to be hard to deal with. Not only is the fluid more expensive, its apparently not the right kind to begin with. Thanks for any input!
  • Wow
Reactions: tyman
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the owners manual. It plainly states Type 2.0 fluid for elite and touring models. Type 3.1 for the others. Next question, should I press the dealership to pickup the van on a rollback? It was only driven from the dealership home which is about 8 miles.

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,018 Posts
I checked the owners manual. It plainly states Type 2.0 fluid for elite and touring models. Type 3.1 for the others. Next question, should I press the dealership to pickup the van on a rollback? It was only driven from the dealership home which is about 8 miles.
I highly doubt the 8 miles of driving did much damage to the transmission.

As you probably are aware, the LX, EX, and EX-L trims come with a 9 speed, and the Touring and Elite trims come with the 10 speed, which is why they use different fluids (because they are different transmissions).

I would push the dealer to tow the van from your home to the dealership, and have them do a complete fluid exchange.

Reactions: digitalextremes

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Ask this question on bobistheoilguy forum and get some expert opinion before contacting dealership.

It maybe no big deal or maybe big deal, there is a reason why Honda had different ATF fluids.

Based on the impact your approach may need to change. Also you should contact Honda Customer Care and get them to document this on your file so that if something happens to your transmission down the road (as a result of this) then we can go back to them and complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Dealers would give you so much crap for this kind of thing on your end. This is unacceptable. You need to give dealer some crap. You need to ask for extended miles bc we don’t know what damage was done.

· Registered
48 Posts
Maybe the tech got it wrong not realizing what trim level you had (which corresponds to a different transmissions) But, just to throw another consideration out there... What is written in the original service/owners manual can be updated throughout the years. For example, Volkswagen has since updated the recommended oil in my car (totally different brand) from what is listed in the owners manual. As a consumer, you'd only know if you read the updated Service Bulletins. Can someone confirm, with some documentation, the latest Honda Dealership instructions for which oil is to be used?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Spoke with service today at lunch. The short of it is that the bill is wrong and they put the correct fluid in, which I think someone here said that's what they would say. According to him, the parts that are used are scanned and recorded on the parts side, and they confirmed that they used Type 2.0 fluid. They are going to refund me the $65 difference in the cost of the fluid. My problem is that I have lost all confidence in this dealer and still am not sure what fluid is in this vehicle. The service manager was out so I left him a message to call me regarding this service visit. At this point I don't know how they can prove what they put in the vehicle so I don't know how I can be satisfied with this. How can they scan the correct fluid but the bill be printed up wrong? Seriously, what gives?

It even states they used 3.1 fluid on the Honda Owners online maintenance record.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,018 Posts
UPDATE: Spoke with service today at lunch. The short of it is that the bill is wrong and they put the correct fluid in, which I think someone here said that's what they would say. According to him, the parts that are used are scanned and recorded on the parts side, and they confirmed that they used Type 2.0 fluid. They are going to refund me the $65 difference in the cost of the fluid. My problem is that I have lost all confidence in this dealer and still am not sure what fluid is in this vehicle. The service manager was out so I left him a message to call me regarding this service visit. At this point I don't know how they can prove what they put in the vehicle so I don't know how I can be satisfied with this. How can they scan the correct fluid but the bill be printed up wrong? Seriously, what gives?

It even states they used 3.1 fluid on the Honda Owners online maintenance record.
View attachment 161080
Sigh. I wouldn't be inclined to believe them. Like you said, how can they "scan" the correct fluid but then the invoice have the wrong fluid?

· Registered
2019 Ody EX
708 Posts
Seems like the only way to get peace of mind at this point is to have the dealer give you enough type 2.0 fluid for at least 3 drain and fills. Assuming 4.5 quarts per drain and fill, that would be 13.5 quarts or 14 quarts. Then have another dealer do the 3 drain and fills, driving the van a couple of miles between each drain and fill. Pretty tough battle to do all that though.

Your experience now has me wondering how many Odysseys there are with the wrong ATF in them.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
If I were you, I would do this:

1) report this to Honda of America Customer Care (they will ask you to work with the dealer as they do typically but tell them based on your records the dealer put in wrong type of fluid but when you ask the dealer they say they put it in the right fluid) - Have it documented on your file.

2) I saw another thread here where someone was showing colour of the fluid for 9speed 3.1, it’s green.

Does anyone here know what colour is the 10 speed fluid (Type 2)? Is it also green or different colour?

If I were you, I will ask the dealer to do drain some fluid, show you the colour and top it up. (They can do that). As long as the two types have different colours, you should be able to tell what they have put in. Otherwise there won’t be easy way to tell and the longer you wait the browner the colour of the fluid will be come (harder to differentiate) - tell them you trust them what they are saying but need to verify it because the papers say otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Well.... you know how all Honda engines now days run on 0w20?

maybe force of habit made the tech think it was the same case for atf.

· Premium Member
1,756 Posts
How can they scan the correct fluid but the bill be printed up wrong? Seriously, what gives?
Not trying to be Honda's devil advocate, most parts place using a portable hand scanner in which they will have a list on a board/clipboard or the wall/or on the counter of most commonly used parts/oil rather than scanning them directly on the product, as they come in boxes which is another scan number than a single quart of type 3 fluid. This speeds up the parts person job considerably in gathering and boxing items for the mechanics or customers. Yes they could have scanned the wrong item due to proximity of the barcode numbers and item name, than pulled the right item.

I would challenge them to prove it is Type 2.0 fluid. Have them take a sample to a local or away testing lab to compare against both 2.0 & 3.1 with out marking the two samples of 2.0 & 3.1 fluid and mark bottles #1 and #2. but mark what's in the transmission now #3. Have them give a report of what bottle has the same fluid in it. It's called a blind test. Your luck would be that they only changed out 3 quarts, and the now mixed oils would be diluted to one another if they did mess up.

• Wow
Reactions: tyman

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I drained about an ounce out into a small container. It is clearly red in color. I did browse youtube and found a video of a guy changing the fluid in his ZF9 with Type 3.1. Its a clear/gold color.

I also looked up the MSDS sheets on both. They clearly have different ingredients. I was hoping it would indicate the fluid color but neither did.

Hand Liquid Drinkware Tableware Jägermeister

· Registered
391 Posts
What do you guys think about this for our ATF drain and fills by the dealer to be safe:
... Buy the ATF from the parts department. Then have the dealer's mechanic drain and fill using "your" ATF.
Believe it or not, sometimes that’s actually cheaper since the service department sometimes marks up the price from the parts department. We actually do this at a local dealer where we get a discount at the parts department but not service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.