Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was in Alaska at minus 50 F and all vehicles were frozen, even after using 10 weight motor oil for wheel bearing grease. (This is what I was told) All vehicles had to be drug into warming sheds with their wheels locked. For this odyssey, I was wondering if it was very cold, the actual motor could have been very difficult to turn, making the starter seem frozen. In addition to battery blankets, there are also dipstick heaters used during the winters for vehicles left outside. They are always plugged in on very cold nights. I am just fishing here. I also agree that the ending is more likely to freeze than a starter.
Engine.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Minus 50...now that's cold! Not much works at that temperature.

The OP said he had the issue at -15 C. Not exactly swimming weather but not that extreme either. I still don't think the starter should have frozen unless the greased shaft had a bunch of moisture on it. You're 100 percent right on that one, Robert. Perhaps if his area had experienced a sudden temperature inversion, then I guess there could be enough condensation on the shaft to freeze and cause issues. Like I said, in 50 years of driving...:).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Minus 50...now that's cold! Not much works at that temperature.

The OP said he had the issue at -15 C. Not exactly swimming weather but not that extreme either. I still don't think the starter should have frozen unless the greased shaft had a bunch of moisture on it. You're 100 percent right on that one, Robert. Perhaps if his area had experienced a sudden temperature inversion, then I guess there could be enough condensation on the shaft to freeze and cause issues. Like I said, in 50 years of driving...:).
A started has an incredible amount or torque when it’s energized. It would break through condensation without even hesitating. I’m still leaning towards a dirty contact on the starter relay, cracked or faulty starter magnet, or some other issue other than water. Could be a bad cable going to the starter.

I’ve fixed a tractor with a “frozen” starter by replacing a cable that had corrosion under the plastic sheathing. There was no way to tell from the outside that the wire had failed, I had to cut it open to believe it. Now to be fair this wouldn’t work in warmer temperatures either but it could lead to pour starting heat reformable, and add to that cold weather causing a weaker battery next thing you know you have a “frozen” starter that won’t work until the battery warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Very true, Pjones. By definition, the word frozen can mean "below the water freezing point, like ice" or "a mechanical part that will not move or is seized." Perhaps that's what the mechanic meant.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You may want to invest in the Engine block heater 08T44-SNA-102, if you are going to be experiencing sever cold. The only issue is, if you are away from home and at a place that does not have a power outlet that is reasonably close. My neighbor's son has an older dodge pickup (diesel) and he plugs his in and the cord is about 50' long. Downside; gotta do it every night.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts