Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Honda Odyssey that is experiencing hard shifting into 3rd gear. It has less than 4k miles on it and whenever it reaches 25 it jerks the car quite noticeably. Brought it into the dealer and they acknowledged there was a "sound" when it shifted into third gear but couldn't replicate the "hard shift" that I've noticed. They said it's operating as normal.

It clearly is not functioning smoothly for a brand new vehicle. What course of action of recourse do I have?

Forgot to mention that even outside of 3rd gear, the transmission shifts are not smooth. I even feel downshifts of the gears when coming to a stop.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this exact issue as well. I haven’t tried to have the dealer look into it yet. Here’s where it occurs for me:

1) Accelerate briskly from a stop to 24-27mph then reduce throttle to 5% to hold current mph. You’ll get an audible click from the transmission and occasionally get brief hard engine braking.

2) Cruise at 35ish MPH with 5% throttle (won’t happen with no throttle). Manually shift the car to 3rd then just sit there and let it decide to upshift on it’s own. Results similar to above but I haven’t gotten the occasional hard engine braking yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this issue Honda says its is because it learns your driving habits and the transmission adjust its shifting based on this. I call BS, I dont see why they would make a smooth shifting transmission learn to shift like garbage. The dealership had the car twice for this issue and was never able to replicate it with one of Honda's representatives, but service manager felt it when I rode with them multiple times. They described it to a Honda field tech and that is what he told them. I ended up trading the van for a newer one hoping I dont have all the issues I had with the 2018. I am really not impressed with Honda and do not think they stand behind the product. The local dealership is pretty awsome though and 10 minutes from my house so I wanted to stick with them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I agree, Nccp. Why would they make a transmission that learns how to shift based on imperfect human input?? Using that logic, I would teach my teenage child to drive a standard transmission car by putting the car in third gear instead of first gear from a dead stop!

A power train must be designed in accordance with the vehicle's physics, not some whim about how a testosterone laiden male or 80 year old granny will drive it!! What the hell is wrong with today's designers? Seems like they were all raised in an idyllic bubble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having the exact same problem with our 2019 Ody EX-L with only 9K miles. Very frustrating, I haven’t taken the van into the dealership yet and I’m weighting my options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 EX-L yesterday and I feel like the transmission/engine is lagging more than my 2014 CRV. I’m not a car person so I don’t know much about the 3rd gear shift, but your description matches what I’ve been feeling. I didn’t test drive the car because I figured it’s a new car and I like my CRV so the way it drives shouldn’t be a problem. I’m taking it back to the dealer to have accessories added in the next week so I’m going to mention it, but it sounds like none of you have received satisfactory attention to address the issue.

I have this horrible buyers remorse feeling, I don’t even want to bring it up to my husband because then it will become a whole thing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with 2019 EXL, same response from dealership. I am, though, getting more proficient at recreating the problem!! I find that if, from a stop, I do not let the car go above 2,000 rpm's (thus allowing it to cycle to a higher set of gears) the issue (hard clank at best, violent jerk at worst) occurs while either lightly accelerating or coasting with the rpm's between 1,300 and 1,500. I have experienced the issue while running through 2,000 rpm's and then back to 1,500 rpm's but the issue seems most easily recreated never letting the car exceed 2,000 rpm's. Also getting a clanking noise from left front when backing up (and turning the wheel) or slow sharp turn. Of course, tech said he drove it and all was fine. After $60.00 in a car rental (they had car for 1.5 days) and 3 hours of lost work productivity, the only hard conclusion drawn was that I was waisting THEIR time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well if the transmission 'learned' incorrectly one should be able to restore to factory settings. Then issue should go away, right?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 5spd Honda transmissions had a faulty 3rd-gear syncro solenoid and caused a very hard shift, even after full warm up. A $15 part and a 20-min removal and install, fixed it.
If you are experiencing something similar, then the solenoids are a place to start.

Accelerating 'briskly' to a certain speed and going off throttle is not a great way to drive, that also causes movement of the engine, than can be assumed as a hard shift. If one drives civil, and the problem occurs, then talking with the dealership to get the logs and have it evaluated; they can narrow it down that way. Just because the dealership cannot recreate the problem, does not mean the problem does not exist.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 2019 Odyssey does not have a 5 speed automatic transmission. 2019 usually has a ZF 9 speed. Occasionally a 10 speed.
What is a third gear syncro solenoid?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 2019 Odyssey does not have a 5 speed automatic transmission. 2019 usually has a ZF 9 speed. Occasionally a 10 speed.
What is a third gear syncro solenoid?
Well aware; point was to disclose a known issue with earlier iteration of transmissions (dating back to a decade and a half) and what the remedy was. The solenoids themselves are very inexpensive (compared to the labor at the dealership).

Gear solenoids (or typically called Shift Solenoids) are electro-mechanical valves that controlled fluid pressure to clutch plates & synchromesh to aide in shifting of gears. These solenoids are controlled by the transmission control unit, independent of the PCM (in some cases).

Basic explanation of them >> http://transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-solenoid/

Just to reiterate the previous point:
- Engine load and PCM inputs from TPS, accelerator pedal position, coolant temp, engine load, steering angle, wheel speed, transmission speed, vehicle yaw, etc etc all play into how the engine operates in its rev band and thus the TCU. Accelerating hard (WOT or almost WOT) and letting go, just to recreate a clunk or a knock, is an indication of very poor driving habit. One should not do that actively as it induces high stress on engine & transmission mounts, drive train, and also engine internals; specifically to the engine's oiling system.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Here's an interesting read on the ZF-9 speed trans>

Software related shift problems?

Again starting on page 8>

·
Registered
369 Posts
From what I know, the hard shifting and other issues were software/programming related. The Jeeps were indeed horrible and their gear selector (the rotary) was just awful as when you placed that in Reverse, it was still in Drive. Physical defects, such as leaks, are ZF's issue.
The 2020 Honda Ridgeline is about to inherit the 9-spd ZFs in the AWD configuration; time will tell what I see on ROC about this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Odyssey that is experiencing hard shifting into 3rd gear. It has less than 4k miles on it and whenever it reaches 25 it jerks the car quite noticeably. Brought it into the dealer and they acknowledged there was a "sound" when it shifted into third gear but couldn't replicate the "hard shift" that I've noticed. They said it's operating as normal.

It clearly is not functioning smoothly for a brand new vehicle. What course of action of recourse do I have?

Forgot to mention that even outside of 3rd gear, the transmission shifts are not smooth. I even feel downshifts of the gears when coming to a stop.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same issue I think there is an issue in the transmission please report your problem to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to alert them of the issue so that they can get the manufacturer involved the number is 1-888-327-4236

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have this exact issue as well. I haven’t tried to have the dealer look into it yet. Here’s where it occurs for me:

1) Accelerate briskly from a stop to 24-27mph then reduce throttle to 5% to hold current mph. You’ll get an audible click from the transmission and occasionally get brief hard engine braking.

2) Cruise at 35ish MPH with 5% throttle (won’t happen with no throttle). Manually shift the car to 3rd then just sit there and let it decide to upshift on it’s own. Results similar to above but I haven’t gotten the occasional hard engine braking yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same issue I think there is an issue in the transmission please report your problem to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to alert them of the issue so that they can get the manufacturer involved the number is 1-888-327-4236

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this issue Honda says its is because it learns your driving habits and the transmission adjust its shifting based on this. I call BS, I dont see why they would make a smooth shifting transmission learn to shift like garbage. The dealership had the car twice for this issue and was never able to replicate it with one of Honda's representatives, but service manager felt it when I rode with them multiple times. They described it to a Honda field tech and that is what he told them. I ended up trading the van for a newer one hoping I dont have all the issues I had with the 2018. I am really not impressed with Honda and do not think they stand behind the product. The local dealership is pretty awsome though and 10 minutes from my house so I wanted to stick with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts

1 - 20 of 53 Posts