Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Software updated and the hard shift is gone. If you are still having this issue you should go to your dealer, let them know there is a service bulletin on it and request the software update. This is covered under warranty. I'll post again in another thousand miles or so to let y'all know if we're still shifting smooth as butter!
Just got the update yesterday too. Service advisor already knew about TSB. Not sure if it’s psychological but it feels better already. Thanks to the TSB forum for keeping us updated!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Has anyone in Canada got this update done? My dealer says they can't find the TSB number or any new TSB's related to transmission hard shifting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Software updated and the hard shift is gone. If you are still having this issue you should go to your dealer, let them know there is a service bulletin on it and request the software update. This is covered under warranty. I'll post again in another thousand miles or so to let y'all know if we're still shifting smooth as butter!
I have 2018 early purchased EXL. Having this issue from 1500 miles. Visited dealer and mechanic felt jerk. they said it is how Honda drives. bullshit!
Then after reading this I went to dealer again today and told them that Honda released software issue for this issue please update. they told me our mechanic will investigate it and if we do not found the issue we will not update software as Honda will not pay us for efforts we made on vehicles that does not have problems. So now i am hoping they find problem and fix issue. I dont understand why Honda not release standard software for all vehicles!

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,084 Posts
I thought TSBs were universal to all dealerships across North America. To me, a TSB means, "We at Honda Corp have found an issue with xyz and recommend you bring your car to a Honda dealer so that the repair can be made."

Along with a TSB is an assurance that customers who keep their cars updated through a TSB are entitled to full warranty to do with that issue. In other words, if you don't let Honda do the TSB repair, don't expect them to honor the warranty. I agree with that.

So, why are some dealers being dickheads over this?? It doesn't make sense. They'll get paid for their time. Is it that the profit margin is poorer with a TSB? If so, I say to them that they shouldn't have become a dealer in the first place. Go out and sell and repair cars as an independent retailer and see how well you do in comparison!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very strange indeed. It would appear the TSB hasn't made it to Canada yet. The TSB reads that the flat rate time is .2 hours which is 12 freaking minutes. Why wouldn't they just do it!!

Pulseps, I think I'd try another dealer if there is another one close enough. As you say, why wouldn't ALL 9-speeds be affected?

·
Registered
617 Posts
A TSB is a guideline to help the technicians troubleshoot and diagnose a specific problem.

The dealer or Honda will not fix a vehicle that doesn't have problems just because there is a TSB.

There is a TSB for the 9 speed which may have a leaky input shaft seal. I can't go to the dealer and demand that they replace the seal on my transmission if it isn't leaking.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Very strange indeed. It would appear the TSB hasn't made it to Canada yet. The TSB reads that the flat rate time is .2 hours which is 12 freaking minutes. Why wouldn't they just do it!!

Pulseps, I think I'd try another dealer if there is another one close enough. As you say, why wouldn't ALL 9-speeds be affected?
I got call around 4:30pm last night. dealer said that they found issue with transmission slip and performing TSB. However, we did not succeed yet. Technician tried 3 different software and non of them works. Now we are waiting for honda technician to look at this. so we are keeping your van for another day.
At lease they identify issue now after 2 years which is good.

There is another issue i have that passenger side sliding door 2nd row reverses automatically when trying to close it. It start closing then when it reaches 6" away from full close it automatically revers and fully open for no reason. Honda also issued TSB for this. Technician said they have to order brain for sliding mechanism motor.

My take from yesterday visit is that stay away from redesign models. Buying refresh model is peace of mind. Or keep complain to dealers and directly honda... some day fix will available.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,084 Posts
A TSB is a guideline to help the technicians troubleshoot and diagnose a specific problem.

The dealer or Honda will not fix a vehicle that doesn't have problems just because there is a TSB.

There is a TSB for the 9 speed which may have a leaky input shaft seal. I can't go to the dealer and demand that they replace the seal on my transmission if it isn't leaking.
That makes perfect sense, bandit400. If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it :D!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry...don't agree with you guys. Software is regularly updated in the head unit and GPS, for example TSB 18-008. It's a little different than a seal that is leaking.

In this case, there is a lot of room for interpretation. What feels like intermittent harsh or jerky upshifts to you might not feel like it to me...and both may be totally different than the Technician's opinion.

The TSB states in the Notes "Unnecessary or incorrect repairs resulting from a failure to update the i-HDS are not covered under warranty." Doesn't that mean, get the update or future repairs might not be covered?

At any rate, my point was that this procedure has a flat rate time of 12 minutes (which I assume is the estimated time it will take to perform the procedure but please correct me if I'm wrong). There are no parts required (as would be the case with a leaking seal). I think they should just do it if the Customer is requesting it...but maybe it's just because of my background of trying to please the Customer.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,084 Posts
On second thought, I think gsba is right. A leaky seal is a hardware issue. The TSB in question is a software update much like what Microsoft sends out to all registered Windows users - not just those operating systems that are not acting correctly. The Honda 9-speed software TSB is a way of making sure all 9-speed transmissions are on the same page. Then, when the hardware fails, Honda has eliminated the software as a variable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My car came back from dealer with TSB work done.
Dealer told me that they had very difficult to update software but finally done with doubts. If you see engine sign on dash board bring your vehicle to replace transmission.
So now I do not feel jerk on 24 MPH steady driving. I drove only 50 miles so far. will update if anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My car came back from dealer with TSB work done.
Dealer told me that they had very difficult to update software but finally done with doubts. If you see engine sign on dash board bring your vehicle to replace transmission.
So now I do not feel jerk on 24 MPH steady driving. I drove only 50 miles so far. will update if anything.
Thanks for the update. Hope all engine lights stay off!

Reactions: pulseps

·
Registered
236 Posts
Now that my 9 speed updated with TSB guidelines a new problem is started.
driving on high 40s MPH and stop pressing gas paddle... car will gradually decrease speed and when it reaches between 41 to 39 MPH it down shifting. This down shift is felt jerk.
Visited dealer again. This time dealer is saying that they approach Honda to approve transmission replacement but Honda saying that clear the code and return vehicle to customer. Dealer said to me that they will try asking again next week that customer came back with issue. hopefully Honda approve to replace transmission.
I have only 11,000 miles on car, problem 1st felt at 1500 miles. I drive very much sober. This is my 1st brand new vehicle. Big disappointment with Honda 9speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Odyssey that is experiencing hard shifting into 3rd gear. It has less than 4k miles on it and whenever it reaches 25 it jerks the car quite noticeably. Brought it into the dealer and they acknowledged there was a "sound" when it shifted into third gear but couldn't replicate the "hard shift" that I've noticed. They said it's operating as normal.

It clearly is not functioning smoothly for a brand new vehicle. What course of action of recourse do I have?

Forgot to mention that even outside of 3rd gear, the transmission shifts are not smooth. I even feel downshifts of the gears when coming to a stop.

Thanks!
I have exactly the same problem -- a hard jerk and a audible metal-to-metal sound at around 25 mph. At times it sounds like the torque convertor is going to fly right through the transmission. The most violent episodes are when I top a hill at approximately 25 MPH and then let off the accelerator. I have taken it to the dealer twice and got no help. They said it was NORMAL! Bull crap. This is not normal. I've been buying Honda's since 1985 and unless they fix this problem I won't be back!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to update my earlier post... We have driven several thousand miles since the TSB software update and the shifting is perfect. If you’re having trouble with the dealer, def worth asking the maintenance supervisor to ride along with you to experience the shifting problems firsthand. Ours did that and he immediately recognized the problem and applied the update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this issue Honda says its is because it learns your driving habits and the transmission adjust its shifting based on this. I call BS, I dont see why they would make a smooth shifting transmission learn to shift like garbage. The dealership had the car twice for this issue and was never able to replicate it with one of Honda's representatives, but service manager felt it when I rode with them multiple times. They described it to a Honda field tech and that is what he told them. I ended up trading the van for a newer one hoping I dont have all the issues I had with the 2018. I am really not impressed with Honda and do not think they stand behind the product. The local dealership is pretty awsome though and 10 minutes from my house so I wanted to stick with them.
I have a 2019 Honda Odyssey that is experiencing hard shifting into 3rd gear. It has less than 4k miles on it and whenever it reaches 25 it jerks the car quite noticeably. Brought it into the dealer and they acknowledged there was a "sound" when it shifted into third gear but couldn't replicate the "hard shift" that I've noticed. They said it's operating as normal.

It clearly is not functioning smoothly for a brand new vehicle. What course of action of recourse do I have?

Forgot to mention that even outside of 3rd gear, the transmission shifts are not smooth. I even feel downshifts of the gears when coming to a stop.

Thanks!
My 2019 is having the same issue. Was wondering if you were able to get your issue resolved? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you been able to get your issue resolved? Ours started have 3rd gear shifting issues as well. Thanks!
I had similar issue, I went to my local dealer and he addressed it, they update software also changed transmission oil free of charge, it seems to working fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2019 Ody EX-L with around 19,000 miles. I've had it for a while and dealer said they couldn't replicate.
Going to try to bring the Service Bulletin 19-124 and see if the software update works.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts