Honda Odyssey Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2019 Ody EX-L with around 19,000 miles. I've had it for a while and dealer said they couldn't replicate.
Going to try to bring the Service Bulletin 19-124 and see if the software update works.
Of course he said he couldn't replicate the problem, it is already a fact that they never heard any one else that has had this identical problem. Let's face it, Honda will never admit any of it and never will. It's called plausible denial.

I begin to wonder not just for Honda, but all the other companies that produce these vehicles that cannot reproduce the problems. This sounds more and more like we need to get our Congress in the US to come up with a bill and make it a law that when more than X amount of vehicles have problems in the original warranty they have to repair the said problem. This needs to be done in a quick way so the car lobbyist can't persuade those in Congress to look at it their way. It's just so rediculous for them to say such things, even though they have been told by their upper management at Corporate office to say we could not reproduce these problems, even though thousands of people say we have that problem. I know it is so hard to start something like this but it has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So true.
Just look at the Ford 6.0 power stroke diesel. It has the highest warranty repair in automotive history and multiple class action lawsuits. Ford never admitted there was a problem and never issued any recalls as it would have bankrupted them.
So nothing was done but Ford used it to get out of their contract with International and built the 6.7 in house that’s been pretty much trouble free.

So 2,000,000 power stroke owners were screwed by Ford with no recourse but to fix it themselves. Fortunately an entire company was born just by fords lack of care for customers, Bulletproof Diesel out of Arizona.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I BELIVE MY HARD SHIFT IS FIXED!
I have a 2018 Odyssey with this same issue. My van has 72,000 miles on it. At about 35,000 miles I took it to the dealer because I was fed up. The “transmission guy” went for a ride with me and he said it was normal for this transmission. Every time I accelerate slowly at 24 miles per hour it shifts HARD.
It has continued to bother me for the last couple of years so I took it to another dealer to talk to them about it. He found a service bulletin which I believe was released in April of 2020, a software update which “fixes” this issue. The Service Bulletin is 19-124 and it affects 2018-2019 Odyssey’s. I took the van to the dealer today to have the software updated. They told me, and it says on the SB that it can take up to 500 miles to notice the fix, or something like that. I drove home from the dealer about 8 miles with lots of stop and go traffic (so I had to accelerate slowly many times) AND IT SEEMED TO SHIFT PROPERLY EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!
I would certainly recommend going to your dealer and asking for this software update. Mine was covered by my Honda Care extended warranty. Not sure if it would have been covered otherwise. Even if it isn’t covered it is just a software update so it should be very cheap. I think it was supposed to take .2 hours to complete. If you are skeptic google “Honda Service Bulletin 19-124”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Odyssey that is experiencing hard shifting into 3rd gear. It has less than 4k miles on it and whenever it reaches 25 it jerks the car quite noticeably. Brought it into the dealer and they acknowledged there was a "sound" when it shifted into third gear but couldn't replicate the "hard shift" that I've noticed. They said it's operating as normal.

It clearly is not functioning smoothly for a brand new vehicle. What course of action of recourse do I have?

Forgot to mention that even outside of 3rd gear, the transmission shifts are not smooth. I even feel downshifts of the gears when coming to a stop.

Thanks!
U can ask them to flush out the transmission a few times and use only Honda fluid In it it’s viscosity is much higher so it doesn’t break down so easily, see if that works….

61 - 64 of 64 Posts