Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1242 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
In any market, 44-45k is going to be your average OTD this time of year on an Elite. Where do you want to be?
I want to be at or below 44K. (Considering $41K to $41.2 for the car + upto $3K on TTL).

Isn't that reasonable given the fact I see several sells listed on 2019 spreadsheet at or below the above price?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I want to be at or below 44K. (Considering $41K to $41.2 for the car + upto $3K on TTL).

Isn't that reasonable given the fact I see several sells listed on 2019 spreadsheet at or below the above price?
Timing and market is everything. You may benefit from a Christmas Eve sale at a dealership but you have to have a point to start from. So if your dealer gives you $45k, take that same quote to another dealer and bargain from there. Get your financing secured before you show up so it's like a cash sale...unless Honda offers a much better finance deal. Depending on where you are, look at the OK or AK markets to see if it's worth crossing the stateline to get your deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Timing and market is everything. You may benefit from a Christmas Eve sale at a dealership but you have to have a point to start from. So if your dealer gives you $45k, take that same quote to another dealer and bargain from there. Get your financing secured before you show up so it's like a cash sale...unless Honda offers a much better finance deal. Depending on where you are, look at the OK or AK markets to see if it's worth crossing the stateline to get your deal.
Financing is not an issue for me..... Dealers I spoke with so far are adamant to sell their car at or below invoice and think whatever data you bring is not the correct data. So even if I show them other dealers quote, they think it's not the right price or come with some nonsense argument to turn down my number.

I haven't purchase vehicle out of state before..... So if I buy it from OK (which is not that far from where I live in DFW), do I pay taxes of OK state and do state transfer of title and registration? If not, can you share how that works?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have actually done the out of state shuffle before in 2017 when I booked a cheap ticket to Orlando to pickup a car. I drove that car back to Virginia. Taxes are paid based on where the car will be registered. Most dealers now have a way to do the titlework for any state in the union.Key thing here is to have the deal as close to locked up as possible to avoid wasting your time. That is the main reason I use truecar.com. The quote comes directly from the dealers I choose and then they do everything they can to get me to the lot. In every case, they beat their own online quote.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Financing is not an issue for me..... Dealers I spoke with so far are adamant to sell their car at or below invoice and think whatever data you bring is not the correct data. So even if I show them other dealers quote, they think it's not the right price or come with some nonsense argument to turn down my number.

I haven't purchase vehicle out of state before..... So if I buy it from OK (which is not that far from where I live in DFW), do I pay taxes of OK state and do state transfer of title and registration? If not, can you share how that works?
I don’t understand how a dealer can expect MSRP on a 2020, let alone a 2019. I’ve been offered $5500 off 2020’s and closer to $7000 off 2019’s. (I’m looking at EXL or Touring) Did you check which dealers previous posters in your area used?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don’t understand how a dealer can expect MSRP on a 2020, let alone a 2019. I’ve been offered $5500 off 2020’s and closer to $7000 off 2019’s. (I’m looking at EXL or Touring) Did you check which dealers previous posters in your area used?
No other posters in my area posted a specific dealers name, but only reported pricing. DFW has several honda dealers scattered thru the metroplex.

Are you referring to $7000 off 2019's from car price with dealers accessories or without accessories? Dealer accessories got a huge markup to jack up car price and their profit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No other posters in my area posted a specific dealers name, but only reported pricing. DFW has several honda dealers scattered thru the metroplex.

Are you referring to $7000 off 2019's from car price with dealers accessories or without accessories? Dealer accessories got a huge markup to jack up car price and their profit.
The dealers giving me the best prices do not install accessories unless you ask them to after purchase. Both are volume dealers. So the $7k was off MSRP for 2019 Touring, and then all I would pay additional was tax, tag, and dealer processing charge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dealers giving me the best prices do not install accessories unless you ask them to after purchase. Both are volume dealers. So the $7k was off MSRP for 2019 Touring, and then all I would pay additional was tax, tag, and dealer processing charge.
Can you share the dealer name and location? You can PM me as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would strongly recommend keeping accessories out of the negotiating process. I seems to create confusion and makes it difficult to negotiate. Most of these can be purchased at a significant discount online or from the parts counter and can be easily installed yourself.
If you don't want to do the installation, consider having an independent mechanic do the install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would strongly recommend keeping accessories out of the negotiating process. I seems to create confusion and makes it difficult to negotiate. Most of these can be purchased at a significant discount online or from the parts counter and can be easily installed yourself.
If you don't want to do the installation, consider having an independent mechanic do the install.
What do you mean by keeping accessories out of the negotiating process? What if dealer has a car that matches your requirement but it has $2k add-on?

·
Registered
140 Posts
What do you mean by keeping accessories out of the negotiating process? What if dealer has a car that matches your requirement but it has $2k add-on?
I guess this is more common at some dealers than others? The dealers I've used in Northern Virginia don't do this. Sometimes if a vehicle arrives at their dealership traded from another one it will come with wheel locks or pinstriping or something but I just say I'm not paying for that. But again, all of the Gen 5 Ody's I've looked at have been free of add-ons. For instance, I don't want/need roof rails and would not pay for them. You may have to just try another dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess this is more common at some dealers than others? The dealers I've used in Northern Virginia don't do this. Sometimes if a vehicle arrives at their dealership traded from another one it will come with wheel locks or pinstriping or something but I just say I'm not paying for that. But again, all of the Gen 5 Ody's I've looked at have been free of add-ons. For instance, I don't want/need roof rails and would not pay for them. You may have to just try another dealer.
The issue with honda dealers in DFW is that all of them do shady tricks and put add-on to all their vehicles. So either I go out of town and find remote dealer without add-on or pay some premium for their ridiculous add-on price tags (they are 10 folds higher than what you pay to outside store).

·
Registered
140 Posts
The issue with honda dealers in DFW is that all of them do shady tricks and put add-on to all their vehicles. So either I go out of town and find remote dealer without add-on or pay some premium for their ridiculous add-on price tags (they are 10 folds higher than what you pay to outside store).
That is extremely shady and would drive me bonkers. I refuse to pay even $100 for wheel locks, which seems to be the only thing some dealers occasionally throw on around here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What model are you looking for? Only go to the dealership when you have your numbers where you want them and pick up your car. Get the quotes in email, text and on the phone. Have you shoped on truecar.com to see where to start?
I agreed on the #s before I went to the dealership. They offered me a 2020 EXL out the door 36500 (Grey on gray) or a Pewter on Mocha for 38300 with Nav. We chose the later, because my wife preferred that color.

PS.

I bought extra stuff in the finance office. I told him I may cancel after I do further research. I paid mostly cash and financed a little and paid for warranty with credit card, so I can cancel easily if I choose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agreed on the #s before I went to the dealership. They offered me a 2020 EXL out the door 36500 (Grey on gray) or a Pewter on Mocha for 38300 with Nav. We chose the later, because my wife preferred that color.

PS.

I bought extra stuff in the finance office. I told him I may cancel after I do further research. I paid mostly cash and financed a little and paid for warranty with credit card, so I can cancel easily if I choose.
Great plan. What state are you in?

1181 - 1200 of 1242 Posts