Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 2019 has had transmission issues from day 1. Today the dealer admitted that there is a known issue with the 9 speed transmission. Honda is aware of it, but hasn't publicized it. The dealer said they've seen at least 30 Odyssey's with the same issue.

For our van, the transmission has difficulty selecting the proper gear. Many times, I'll pull up to the stop and then take off right away. But, the transmission isn't engaged. Then, it finally engages and launches forward. Sometimes it squeals the tires.

We purchased our van about a year ago. About 6 months ago, I took it into the dealer. They came back and said there was nothing wrong with the transmission. Since then, the shifting has gotten worse. I took it back to the dealer yesterday. Now, they say they've known about this issue for about a year. Thanks Honda dealer for wasting my time.

The story they told was that Honda is aware of the issue and they're working on a software fix. The fix could be available around the first of the year.

The dealer also said that Honda has never officially acknowledged the issue. But, the dealer is aware the software revision is in the works.

The dealer diagnosed the issue by hooking up a laptop to the van's diagnostic port below the steering wheel and captured data as we drove around.

If one dealer has seen 30 vans with the issue, just think how many have this nationwide. Probably in the thousands.

They said one owner pursued the issue so vigorously that Honda agreed to have a new transmission installed. But, the new transmission had the same symptoms.

This generation of Honda transmissions are problematic. First the 10 speed and now the 9 speed.

This will likely be the first and last Honda we ever purchase.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This has been discussed ad nauseam here in the forums. It was so bad and dangerous on mine that I bit the bullet and took the financial hit and got rid of mine..

Reactions: MrRangerZr1

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Our 2019 has had transmission issues from day 1. Today the dealer admitted that there is a known issue with the 9 speed transmission. Honda is aware of it, but hasn't publicized it. The dealer said they've seen at least 30 Odyssey's with the same issue.

For our van, the transmission has difficulty selecting the proper gear. Many times, I'll pull up to the stop and then take off right away. But, the transmission isn't engaged. Then, it finally engages and launches forward. Sometimes it squeals the tires.

We purchased our van about a year ago. About 6 months ago, I took it into the dealer. They came back and said there was nothing wrong with the transmission. Since then, the shifting has gotten worse. I took it back to the dealer yesterday. Now, they say they've known about this issue for about a year. Thanks Honda dealer for wasting my time.

The story they told was that Honda is aware of the issue and they're working on a software fix. The fix could be available around the first of the year.

The dealer also said that Honda has never officially acknowledged the issue. But, the dealer is aware the software revision is in the works.

The dealer diagnosed the issue by hooking up a laptop to the van's diagnostic port below the steering wheel and captured data as we drove around.

If one dealer has seen 30 vans with the issue, just think how many have this nationwide. Probably in the thousands.

They said one owner pursued the issue so vigorously that Honda agreed to have a new transmission installed. But, the new transmission had the same symptoms.

This generation of Honda transmissions are problematic. First the 10 speed and now the 9 speed.

I have a 2018 Elite and never had a bad shift, grind, or clank in our 10-speed. But I do feel for all those with the 9-speed transmission.

Reactions: pulseps

·
Registered
171 Posts
No issues with our 2018 EXL 9speed. I understand you are having issues but your dealer service adviser should be following Honda’s troubleshooting procedures instead of just blaming it on a bad design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No issues with our 2018 EXL 9speed. I understand you are having issues but your dealer service adviser should be following Honda’s troubleshooting procedures instead of just blaming it on a bad design.

It's good that yours doesn't have transmission issues.

The dealer service group did follow Honda's recommended approach.

Honda's transmission still sucks

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's good that yours doesn't have transmission issues.

The dealer service group did follow Honda's recommended approach.

Honda's transmission still sucks
The nine speed is not a Honda transmission. The 10 speed is though.
I have a 2018 EX-L with 25K, no problems with the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The nine speed is not a Honda transmission. The 10 speed is though.
I have a 2018 EX-L with 25K, no problems with the transmission.
That's interesting. Who makes the 9 speed for Honda?

The dealer implied that the adaptive transmission feature (software) was causing the issues.

·
Registered
225 Posts

The dealer implied that the adaptive transmission feature (software) was causing the issues.
regardless of who make transmission for 9spd its still Honda responsibility. Some saying they never had any issues can be true but for many it is. Honda well aware of it and that is why they have completely eliminated 9spd from Odyssey line-up in 2020.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can you confirm issues are happening with ECO mode off and engine/trans warmed up? I don’t understand how you could be giving it a normal amount of gas and it’s squealing tires from take off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Issue happening more with ECO mode on. Still happens with ECO off.
Mostly I drive 3 mile commute or going for highway for long trip.
Issue comes when driving within city between 20 to 30mph. System hard to figured out which gear is appropriate at slow speed.

·
Registered
272 Posts

The 9 SPD is made by ZF and is in use in other vehicles such as the Pacifica and other Chrysler/Jeep products which all have similar complaints to the Ody regarding the transmission.

·
Registered
98 Posts

It sounds like it is a software issue and since it isn't a Honda transmission I bet ZF will be the ones who will have to step up and fix it. I know ZF provided the reprograming when the Jeep transmission would go into Neutral instead of park when you opened the door. This was after that actor died when his jeep pinned him against his gate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Back in July 2017, we were deciding between a leftover 2017 EXL or the new 2018 EXL's that had just gotten to the lot. The sales person said to us, "New model year, new model problems." We chose the 2017, not because of his statement, but because we got such a great deal on the 2017. In hindsight, as much as we wanted the new body style, after reading all these transmission issues I'm glad we stuck it out with the 2017. We went through transmission/torque converter juddering issues (2 replacements under warranty) in our 2008 EXL. Ugh. I feel for ya!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you confirm issues are happening with ECO mode off and engine/trans warmed up? I don’t understand how you could be giving it a normal amount of gas and it’s squealing tires from take off.

I've owned and driven dozens of vehicles over the years. None have had a condition anywhere close to the Odyssey.

Why does it squeal the tires? After a stop, you give it some throttle, the transmission isn't engaged, the revs come up, then the transmission engages. It squeals because the transmission engages at the higher rpm. It's like having a vehicle in neutral, giving it some throttle, and then popping it into drive. It jerks and squeals.

It seems as though, the transmission doesn't or can't return to first gear immediately after a stop.

They should allow the adaptive BS to be turned off. If that would even solve it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I only use ECO at speeds of 70mph with the ACC (adaptive cruise).

Install a VCM muzzler. You are experiencing a delay in throttle response due to cylinder deactivation.

The transmission will perform different when it is not warmed up or on a hill. Try to keep throttle consistent.

“While ascending or descending hills, Grade Logic Control alters the transmission's shift schedule to reduce shift frequency and improve speed control. The transmission ECU continually measures throttle position, vehicle speed and acceleration/deceleration to determine when the vehicle is on a hill. The shift schedule is then adjusted – during ascents to hold the transmission in lower gears to boost climbing power, and during descents to provide greater engine braking.”

·
Registered
141 Posts
We were 100% ready to buy in June of this year. But this issue, combined with the ongoing issues with the sliding doors and RES convinced us to wait another year and see if any of the issues can be resolved (they've at least gotten rid of the 9 speed) and also will give us an opportunity to look at the new Sienna likely coming in spring.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Simple...Tranny not engaged....RPMs high..... tranny engages....wheels spin..
Same as a manual trnsmission when you "pop-the-clutch" at elevated RPMs.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
We were 100% ready to buy in June of this year. But this issue, combined with the ongoing issues with the sliding doors and RES convinced us to wait another year and see if any of the issues can be resolved (they've at least gotten rid of the 9 speed) and also will give us an opportunity to look at the new Sienna likely coming in spring.
The "issues" aren't what you need to worry about. It's Honda's poor service attitude to us who got screwed with never ending 2018 issues, that you must think about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. Bought 2019 Ody EX-L in Nov 2018 and have had the exact same issue but not much help available from the dealership. From Drive to Reverse, the car takes 3-4 secs to shift the gear. Are you kidding me? From stop to go, the car hesitates and then boom it goes with sudden rev up. I thought the car was crazy.

Not only that we have a very rusty rear driver side rotor. Dealer cleaned it but isn't enough. The trunk door some times drops and thuds 3/5 times when closing. My samsung note 8 all of sudden stopped connecting to the car's android auto when my wife's exact same phone was just working fine. I performed hard reset on my phone and initialize the car's setting but still not working.

Back to the transmission, it's definitely sub-par quality transmission and Honda must do something about it. I completely regret buying the car. Honda isn't how it used to be.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts