Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with the Subaru Ascent Limited. First time owning a Subaru. I am totally disappointed with Honda. Every time I brought up the issue with the 9 speed transmission shifting extremely roughly/jerky from 1-2-3 with multiple dealerships, their standard response was that it is normal. That was a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 18’ EX and having the same issue. I’m glad I found this thread because Its been happening for a while and I thought it was just my vehicle.

So I was up for transmission fluid. After asking multiple times if I needed an appointment the dealer said I did not because it should be quick. Of course when I get there the dealership informs me that I need an appointment because she didn’t realize I had the 9spd and would require a machine hookup. I’ve postponed the appointment due to the pandemic.

I’m pretty sick of how the van is running so I don’t want to waste $350+ for a transmission flush if the car is still going to run like crap... any suggestions?

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
I have an 18’ EX and having the same issue. I’m glad I found this thread because Its been happening for a while and I thought it was just my vehicle.
So I was up for transmission fluid. After asking multiple times if I needed an appointment the dealer said I did not because it should be quick. Of course when I get there the dealership informs me that I need an appointment because she didn’t realize I had the 9spd and would require a machine hookup. I’ve postponed the appointment due to the pandemic.
I’m pretty sick of how the van is running so I don’t want to waste $350+ for a transmission flush if the car is still going to run like crap... any suggestions?
I only have about 18,000 miles on my 2018 EX, so a flush isn't indicated yet. Mine runs much better since I stopped using ECON mode and after I had the most recent software update completed. Yours should do the same even without the flush. The software update is a freebie and should only take an hour or so. They owe you that regardless of warranty.

The flush, in my opinion, is a simple routine maintenance process designed to give the transmission longevity. It shouldn't make a huge difference to performance, unless the fluid has turned to goo, which is not going to be the case.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Honda insists that you do not do a traditional 'flush' when changing ATF. They call it fluid replacement; out with the old, and in with the new. Severely neglected or units used in extreme operating environments, ATF needs to be drained and filled three times. This replaces about 80%+ of the total fluid within the transmission. There are plenty of how-tos on this topic. However, that 3x DNF has been commonly associated with the 5spd and 6spd units; not the current 9spd and 10spd units.

I just rolled over 51,000 miles on my '19 Elite and should have the 10spd ATF this week. I will be doing the fluid change myself as I am not interested in paying someone $300+. Also, additional services need to be performed, which includes complete vehicle inspection, brake fluid and engine oil+filter. So I am sure by the time I get this all done at the dealership, I would be forking out over $1000 at a dealership (on a good day). Since the 30% life advisory on the cluster, I have seen harder shifting from the transmission, which is indicative of aging ATF.

so @Cpham32000 , if you are mechanically inclined, you should just buy the fluids and do it at your home. 5-qts of Type2 cost $41.00.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, bumping this thread because it seems to be the same issue I've detailed here: Hesitation on acceleration

Any update on whether a 3x transmission flush helped with this issue?
I have the 9spd transmission that supposedly needs to hooked up to a machine to perform a flush. I did call around and all the mechanics said the same thing. I bit the bullet and forked out $340 for the flush. They also checked for software updates. I’m not sure if any software updates were performed but the van does drive much better. I’ve been driving around for a week and have not had any hesitation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 9spd transmission that supposedly needs to hooked up to a machine to perform a flush. I did call around and all the mechanics said the same thing. I bit the bullet and forked out $340 for the flush. They also checked for software updates. I’m not sure if any software updates were performed but the van does drive much better. I’ve been driving around for a week and have not had any hesitation.
Thank you for the update. I think I'm going to schedule an appointment soon with the dealer and see if there are any further software updates at a minimum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm really curious to know if there are software updates. I have a good mechanical background, and unless your transmission has a bunch of miles a transmission flush probably wouldn't do much. But since this is a computer controlled transmission a software update could make a big difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm really curious to know if there are software updates. I have a good mechanical background, and unless your transmission has a bunch of miles a transmission flush probably wouldn't do much. But since this is a computer controlled transmission a software update could make a big difference.
Just scheduled an appointment to take mine in next week, so I'll do my best to update here afterwards on the result. I know they updated my software a year ago right after we bought it but I'm hoping there's another update now.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
There's one thing no one has mentioned (that I know of). The accelerator pedal in the 5th gen Ody is "fly by wire." That is, the traditional throttle cable is gone. I wonder if the transmission software needs to be properly synced with the accelerator pedal software? I suppose that link is written into the software for both devices? Could the accelerator pedal software be at fault? Just a thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There's one thing no one has mentioned (that I know of). The accelerator pedal in the 5th gen Ody is "fly by wire." That is, the traditional throttle cable is gone. I wonder if the transmission software needs to be properly synced with the accelerator pedal software? I suppose that link is written into the software for both devices? Could the accelerator pedal software be at fault? Just a thought.
Very well could be. We are just looking at odyssey’s at the moment so I hope to be a future expert. That being said our Xterra is fly by wire and there’s a three step relearn procedure for the throttle pedal, throttle body and idle to get them all in sync so I can only imagine the odyssey would have something similar.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
153 Posts
Any update on whether a 3x transmission flush helped with this issue?
Would love to know too!
Just scheduled an appointment
Please update back here, sometimes people drop off and we never know what happens afterwards.

Also if you don't mind completing the survey here on the transmission here: Transmission Survey + 9/10 speed detailed info (One... This helps us keep track of things, and the 9 speed has a lot of complaints overall. That same link has a post on how to reset the learning of the 9 speed to see if there are any improvements. This is based on the Acura with the 9 speed at.

Xterra is fly by wire and there’s a three step relearn procedure for
OMG true story, I had a 07 back in the day.

Reactions: lilfish

·
Registered
543 Posts
For decades, Honda in its Service Bulletins and Service Manuals have strongly recommended not 'flushing' your transmission under any circumstances and doing so would result in warranty being voided. I hope what you did was a fluid change (fluid exchange) as the price you quoted, is something a dealership would charge for a 9spd fluid exchange. If you indeed got a transmission flush, as you state, I will say a small prayer for you.

The owner's manual would not say anything about the transmission flush, because it recommends that the owner take it to a dealership to get the ATF swapped out.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
153 Posts
For decades, Honda in its Service Bulletins and Service Manuals have strongly recommended not 'flushing' your transmission under any circumstances and doing so would result in warranty being voided.
THIS

aka the Honda flush term exist for this reason. Honda flush = fill and drain 3x.

please correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While checking a different hunch by @Hodna and driving in sport mode, I identified a way to recreate the issue every time. This should help me greatly in communicating the issue to the dealer.

The issue is actually the gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear, but only when the pressure on the accelerator is released briefly and then pressed again. i.e. if you keep steady pressure on the pedal while shifting from 1st to 2nd, there is no issue. If, however, you start to accelerate in 1st, then let off the gas pedal, shift to 2nd and hit the pedal again there is a significant lag time before the throttle responds.

Once I discovered this sequence in sport mode (because who wouldn't let off the gas while switching gears if you were driving a standard?), I changed back to regular Drive mode and continued to create this issue by letting off the accelerator briefly right after starting from a stop, around 5mph or so, and then trying to punch the gas again.

I'm so excited to at least be able to recreate the issue on demand, and appreciate you all's advice and help it took to reach this point. Have the appointment at the dealer for next week so will let them know how to create the issue and see what they say.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
153 Posts
While checking a different hunch by @Hodna
The issue is actually the gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear, but only when the pressure on the accelerator is released briefly and then pressed again. i.e. if you keep steady pressure on the pedal while shifting from 1st to 2nd, there is no issue.
This AT likes things to be consistent. Or it just freaks out. I’d like to see what the dealer says.

also go to a parking lot and shift through all the gears at rolling speed.

you will notice a click sound from 4-5 and 7-8 both up and down shifts. This is the dog clutch. On shift you will feel the car to go into/similar to going into neutral feeling until the gears teeth line up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Copied my update from another thread:
TLDR: dealer is going to try a software reset to erase whatever "learning" happened previously.

The van is at the dealer since yesterday morning. Initially they called me back to say they couldn't recreate the issue. They thought the issue was a purposeful limiting the power available while making a hard turn. But once I gave detailed troubleshooting steps directly to the guy test-driving vs the service advisor, he called back to say he could feel what I was "interpreting" to be the issue. Said there were no error codes or diagnostic issues he could find with his equipment that could indicate there was something to fix. After talking it through with him, and insisting it was a dangerous issue that our friend's identical van doesn't have, he decided he would get his mechanic to reset the software to erase whatever it has "learned" about driving habits etc. to start fresh again. I'll drive again with the software reset and see if this solves the issue - just wanted to update all of you who may be following along. Appreciate your help and insights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It’s not going to eliminate the issue. It’s innate to the 9 speed.
I mean, you haven't been wrong yet... but, if it's innate to the 9 speed, why would this not happen on my friend's van that is the same year/make/model?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts