Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
While checking a different hunch by @Hodna and driving in sport mode, I identified a way to recreate the issue every time. This should help me greatly in communicating the issue to the dealer.

The issue is actually the gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear, but only when the pressure on the accelerator is released briefly and then pressed again. i.e. if you keep steady pressure on the pedal while shifting from 1st to 2nd, there is no issue. If, however, you start to accelerate in 1st, then let off the gas pedal, shift to 2nd and hit the pedal again there is a significant lag time before the throttle responds.

Once I discovered this sequence in sport mode (because who wouldn't let off the gas while switching gears if you were driving a standard?), I changed back to regular Drive mode and continued to create this issue by letting off the accelerator briefly right after starting from a stop, around 5mph or so, and then trying to punch the gas again.

I'm so excited to at least be able to recreate the issue on demand, and appreciate you all's advice and help it took to reach this point. Have the appointment at the dealer for next week so will let them know how to create the issue and see what they say.
Thanks I am having this exact same issue, as well as hard shifting between 1-2 when things are cold. Driving me nuts because I love everything else about the call (well, except the push-button gear selectors). Haven't wanted to deal with the run-around from the dealer on this yet, but it's getting to the point where I think I need to. The long lag when you hit the accelerator hard when rolling slowly could definitely cause an accident. I have come to expect the lag and try to avoid situations that cause it, but every time my wife drives the car with the kids it makes me nervous.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You’d have to analyze the machined hardware and it’s response timing with when the TCU commands a response. There is variability in manufacture. These are not built under absolute precision. I’m hoping the software helps but it didn’t for many.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
153 Posts
I get noticeable lag on Econ mode. Otherwise van is pretty responsive. There’s something about the 1st gear. In manual if you start on 2nd the acceleration is much better overall.

swap out all the 9s for the 10 speed.
believe the mount points on the engine are completely different. Forget electrical and ecu etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, after driving for a few days, the software update didn't solve the issue. Haven't decided what next to do about it, but doesn't seem like I have many options...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, after driving for a few days, the software update didn't solve the issue. Haven't decided what next to do about it, but doesn't seem like I have many options...
My 2019 EX-L Odyssey is currently at the dealership. They just called and said their technician "has been researching the problem" and it seems that a throttle body cleaning "might help". They wanted to charge me $189 for this since it's not covered under the warranty, neither the original or the extended warranty we purchased. She had called Honda Care and they said it's a "maintenance issue" so they wouldn't cover it. My van is garage-kept and only has 11k miles on it! I told them forget it.

My cousin had the same exact model as ours and had the jerky shifting issue and her dealership did some sort of software update, which she said helped a little bit but didn't get rid of the issue. They traded theirs in. We may end up doing the same, sadly. I love my van, other than that one issue. :-(

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
153 Posts
Posting from my survey thread:
It’s a mix bag of experience for everyone. What I noticed is that shifting in steady acceleration has improved a lot as in no jerking or clicks. The key is you put your foot down and keep it steady. Any fluctuations at the accelerator the AT won’t know what to do. Down shifts are not as smooth as up shift. I do sometime hear the dog clutch 4-5th and 7-8th (more on 4-5th aka low speed rolling in the neighborhood) The real culprit is at the mechanical design of this thing.

Most people complain about slow speed driving in the 30-45mph range.

This might be placebo or I’m just crazy. During your 500mile learning period drive the van with Econ off and drive it how you expect to accelerate and such. After that learning takes place and complete go back to driving gentle and with Econ. Feel like this made a big difference in my van. 🤷‍♂️ Goal is longevity. As long as it doesn’t completely poop out I am ok with it. I’ve done 2 cross country trips and had no issues got great mpg at 29.3.
All best. And keep us posted.

Reactions: lilfish

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2019 EX-L Odyssey is currently at the dealership. They just called and said their technician "has been researching the problem" and it seems that a throttle body cleaning "might help". They wanted to charge me $189 for this since it's not covered under the warranty, neither the original or the extended warranty we purchased. She had called Honda Care and they said it's a "maintenance issue" so they wouldn't cover it. My van is garage-kept and only has 11k miles on it! I told them forget it.

My cousin had the same exact model as ours and had the jerky shifting issue and her dealership did some sort of software update, which she said helped a little bit but didn't get rid of the issue. They traded theirs in. We may end up doing the same, sadly. I love my van, other than that one issue. :-(
What did she get to replace it? What are you considering? My 2018 has been nothing but a headache and I’m about done.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Asking you to pay for 'Throttle body cleaning' and that it would cost almost $200 is asking you to turn around, pull your pants down and bend over. I can tell you there is no such thing as a Throttle Body cleaning with these vehicles.
When a dealership starts to sell you BS like this, that is the indicator that they are not equipped to do their diligence. Good thing that you said NO.

Getting the ATF sample out of the level check bolt and sending that to someone like BlackStone Labs to get assessed. They can tell you if the fluid is beyond service life or is nearing it. A small price to pay, before jumping into a full on ATF change from a dealership. If the fluid is fine, then it would be onto a software update and assessing the drive experience.

Reactions: fuego
61 - 70 of 70 Posts