Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Changes:
1. 10-spd transmission is standard on all trims (previously it was only available on Touring/Elite). This is potentially a huge upgrade, the previous 9-spd transmission has been cause of concern not only in the Odyssey, but in the Pilot & Chrysler Pacifica as well.
2. 25th Anniversary package can be added to 2020 models ($1500 upgrade, the package is really just a bunch of chrome accents to the sides and bumper + chrome roof rails)
3. 19-in wheel can be added to any trim ($2800 upgrade, this includes the 25th anniversary package).
4. Price has gone up by $200 to $500 depending on trim
5. Idle Stop is now standard on all trims (this is a contentious feature...many? people don't seem to like it)
6. New white color: Platinum White Pearl replaces White Diamond Pearl

I plan to get the 2020 EX-L, no options/upgrades. I was previously considering a 2019 Touring just for the 10-spd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For #1 alone, I might just be test driving an EX-L this week (or whenever they're available, I should say). This is great news! Maybe Honda finally started reading this forum :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Changes:
1. 10-spd transmission is standard on all trims (previously it was only available on Touring/Elite). This is potentially a huge upgrade, the previous 9-spd transmission has been cause of concern not only in the Odyssey, but on the Pilot & Chrysler Pacifica as well.
2. 25th Anniversary package can be added to 2020 models ($1500 upgrade, the package is just a bunch of chrome accents to the sides and bumper + chrome roof rails)
3. 19-in wheel can be added to any trim ($2800 upgrade, this includes the 25th anniversary package).
5. Idle Stop is now standard on all trims (this is a controversial feature...many? people don't seem to like it)
6. New white: Platinum White Pearl replaces White Diamond Pearl

I plan to get the 2020 EX-L, no options/upgrades. I was previosly considering a 2019 Touring just for the 10-spd transmission.
Sounds like all the things I have in the 2018 Touring except for the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any chance the 2020 gets height adjustment in the front passenger seat? Is this on the fifth generations at all? The Honda sight says, "Front Passenger's Seat with 4-Way Power Adjustment" for all 2020 trim levels, so I assume that's just front-to-back and recline, but holding a very thin thread of hope that at least a manual height adjustment was thrown in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changes:
1. 10-spd transmission is standard on all trims (previously it was only available on Touring/Elite). This is potentially a huge upgrade, the previous 9-spd transmission has been cause of concern not only in the Odyssey, but on the Pilot & Chrysler Pacifica as well.
2. 25th Anniversary package can be added to 2020 models ($1500 upgrade, the package is just a bunch of chrome accents to the sides and bumper + chrome roof rails)
5. Idle Stop is now standard on all trims (this is a controversial feature...many? people don't seem to like it)
6. New white: Platinum White Pearl replaces White Diamond Pearl

I plan to get the 2020 EX-L, no options/upgrades. I was previosly considering a 2019 Touring just for the 10-spd transmission.
The EX-L and Touring also gain acoustic glass on the front and rear doors (in addition to the windshield, where it already had it). This was previously only on the Elite.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 10-speed is great news! I almost pulled the trigger on the 2019 and so glad I waited! Exl nav/res is all we need - couldn’t justify touring prices just for the 10 speed.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For #1 alone, I might just be test driving an EX-L this week (or whenever they're available, I should say). This is great news! Maybe Honda finally started reading this forum :)
If they were reading this forum, they'd do something about the damn knocking engines!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
if i had any regret was to not spend d extra bucks and get the EX-L nav/res. i only got the regular EXL
smh. i know its a 2k diff but probably could've worked something out with my dealer. everything else, was not worth the 5k-7k price jump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changes:
1. 10-spd transmission is standard on all trims (previously it was only available on Touring/Elite). This is potentially a huge upgrade, the previous 9-spd transmission has been cause of concern not only in the Odyssey, but in the Pilot & Chrysler Pacifica as well.
2. 25th Anniversary package can be added to 2020 models ($1500 upgrade, the package is really just a bunch of chrome accents to the sides and bumper + chrome roof rails)
5. Idle Stop is now standard on all trims (this is a contentious feature...many? people don't seem to like it)
6. New white color: Platinum White Pearl replaces White Diamond Pearl

I plan to get the 2020 EX-L, no options/upgrades. I was previously considering a 2019 Touring just for the 10-spd.
7. One more....

www.collegehillshonda.com

Logo Pattern Projector
2 front door lights project the Odyssey logo on the ground when the door is opened. This accessory will not apply to models prior to 2020.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also considering, but somewhat disheartened reading reviews and forums, the EX-L...only for the shear hope that I can avoid the infotainment issues. If Honda would come out with a fix...they would have a new buyer. FYI...my neighbors bought a 2011 odyssey with 75k miles and are up to 100k without issues except it’s white and the paint started peeling off...just last week they got a letter to bring it to the dealer to be repaired. That makes me a little hopeful that when Honda finally gets solutions for all these things that they might take care of you. :) I may end up waiting for 2021 or at least to see if 2020’s are fairing any better.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
NikkiW, it seems after reading the hundreds of posts on this forum, people are either really happy with their van or are going through hell with the dealer and Honda Corp's "don't give a damn" attitude. I guess that's true with any car company. It's when you're one of the unlucky ones that you get angry.

Sounds like it's the luck of the draw buying one of these beasts, whether it's a 2018, 2019, or beyond :). That's a sad way to have to fork over big bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NikkiW, it seems after reading the hundreds of posts on this forum, people are either really happy with their van or are going through hell with the dealer and Honda Corp's "don't give a damn" attitude. I guess that's true with any car company. It's when you're one of the unlucky ones that you get angry.

Sounds like it's the luck of the draw buying one of these beasts, whether it's a 2018, 2019, or beyond :). That's a sad way to have to fork over big bucks.
"... I guess that's true with any car company ." No it's not... it's just unfortunate economics. This segment of the market shifts most of the margin risk to the dealers. None of the cars are bespoke... that is, they are built vanilla and all of the accessory and "point of sale" risk is punted to the dealers. So, in the end, Honda just pushes the cars out and the variance in customer experience is left to each dealer. My suggestion is to hit Google Maps, pull all the dealers within drive-able range and call each of them. Know what you want, ask for the Internet Sales Manager. Unlike the typical Sales Guys, they can see the incentives, money factor, inventory, etc... and depending on how they respond, decide on where you want to buy the car. It can be a totally different experience from dealer to dealer... and based on their sales volume, they likely have different pressures vs their peers. Fyi, this is true for Toyota, and all of the competing manufacturers at this pricepoint. Shop the car, then shop the dealer... whether we like it or not, you've got to put the time in to find a good fit.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Great post, Skelzer! It explains a lot of what's going on with Honda's major quality drop. If I read you correctly, it sounds like Honda Corp has all but severed its ties with their dealer network, leaving them to fend for themselves. I was a franchisee with a major franchise system for 25 years. The LAST thing a corporate head office should do is divorce itself from its dealers. The continuity and branding takes it right in the teeth and things fall apart real fast. You end up with a bunch loose cannons out there all doing their own thing. It's like boarding an airplane, taking off, and at about 20,000 feet having the captain come on the PA and say, "Greetings everyone. This is your captain speaking. I'm working from home today. Enjoy your flight."

My dealer is exceptionally good. I wonder if asking another dealer for their opinion about my rattly engine noise would help. Somehow, I doubt it :(. You would think that if a solution was found, it would be announced throughout the system. Then again, it wouldn't when the system is flawed.

So again, I say anyone who is shopping for any Odyssey beyond 2018, do your homework. Go through a few tanks of dealer fuel over several test drives. These new Odysseys are really easy to fall in love with during the test drive phase. They make a great first impression. It's when you sign on the dotted line, give away your money - that's when the gremlins come out of hiding.

Edit
I made mention of Honda's "major quality drop." I was in error. It's more a major drop in Honda's quality consistency, which explains why some folks here are delighted with their Odyssey and others are going through hell - some to the point of jumping ship.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think the biggest reason for this is lemon laws. I am not familiar with every state's lemon laws, but most have two conditions : X number or unsuccessful repairs for the same issue or X number of days out of service. The defect usually has to be a major safety or drive-ability issue.

The unintended consequence is dealers can no longer make unsuccessful attempts to fix an issue, because it will count as an unsuccessful repair and the customer could make a lemon law claim.

Previously, a technician would try to make some adjustments or replace a part to try and fix the problem. Now, the technician will not attempt a fix unless the solution is obvious, any guesses could result in a costly lemon claim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can I ask where you got this information?
On the Honda Vehicle Specification page, the 2020 EX-L only shows acoustic glass on the windshield
Honda Specs (Select EX-L, then scroll down to Exterior Features)

This Honda Information Center page also shows acoustic glass only on the windshield for the 2020 EX-L

The EX-L and Touring also gain acoustic glass on the front and rear doors (in addition to the windshield, where it already had it). This was previously only on the Elite.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would also look at the reviews for the dealers service center. You will spend more time there even for routine maintenance. My service center is great, but they are even better to customers who bought their vehicle from that dealer

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Agree. Research and pick a good dealer.

I have been with mine since 2002 so they know me well enough. Some benefits of being a regular customer:
  • They don't try anymore to sell me anything beyond what I ask for.
  • I ask for and get a discount off service. (Of course, their prices are high anyway so they have lots of wiggle room, but I go to them when it's over my head and I don't trust anyone else e.g. timing belt.)
  • The parts guy throws in the occasional freebie, and sometimes shares insider info.
Dave

·
Registered
366 Posts
From what I could see, below are some of the differences (for 2020)
  • 10spd in all trims
  • EX-L gets 26.5mm Solid front & 20x3.5mm tubular rear stabilizer bar (2019 Touring and Elite had this spec)
  • EX-L & Touring get Elites Acoustic Front and Rear door glass
  • Rear window defroster with timer are all trims (none of the 2019 trims had the 'timer')
  • EX-L: available seat back pockets (front row)
  • EX-L: bundled Navi and RES as one item (two different in the '18 &'19)
  • Available 25th Anniversary Package in all trims
  • Available Engine block heater

1 - 20 of 37 Posts