Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I could see, below are some of the differences (for 2020)
  • 10spd in all trims
  • EX-L gets 26.5mm Solid front & 20x3.5mm tubular rear stabilizer bar (2019 Touring and Elite had this spec)
  • EX-L & Touring get Elites Acoustic Front and Rear door glass
  • Rear window defroster with timer are all trims (none of the 2019 trims had the 'timer')
  • EX-L: available seat back pockets (front row)
  • EX-L: bundled Navi and RES as one item (two different in the '18 &'19)
  • Available 25th Anniversary Package in all trims
  • Available Engine block heater
Contrary to the other Honda sites, the main US Honda site (automobiles.honda.com/Odyssey) does list EX-L & Touring as having acoustic front and rear door glass.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Think it qualifies as a facelift only although I’m sure some will be glad to have 10 speed transmission vs the 9 but time will tell.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So, no new mechanical improvements in the Elite trim.

Is 2020 considered the facelift then?
Usually the Mid-Year model refresh do not see any 'new' tech updates. Few updates may have chassis reinforcements or design changes will be reflected only if there was a known need or safety concern. So yes, it can be called a face lift.

'20 Odyssey announcement >> https://hondanews.com/releases/honda-celebrates-25-years-of-odyssey-with-25th-anniversary-accessory-package-and-10-speed-automatic-transmission-for-all-trims?query=2020+honda+odyssey&content_types[]=releases

'20 Odyssey pricing >> https://hondanews.com/releases/2020-honda-odyssey-pricing-and-epa-ratings?query=2020+honda+odyssey&content_types[]=releases

'20 Odyssey Specs >> https://hondanews.com/releases/2020-honda-odyssey-specifications-features?query=2020+honda+odyssey&content_types[]=releases

·
Registered
47 Posts
So, no new mechanical improvements in the Elite trim.

Is 2020 considered the facelift then?
I'm pretty sure the facelift/mid model update, where they tinker with the grill and taillights will be out next fall as a 2021 model. The 2020 is not considered a mid model update. The outside looks identical.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Rather than lament over the cosmetic stuff, it would be interesting to see if Honda has tackled the things that REALLY count. For example, rattle noise on acceleration (found on both the 9-speed and 10-speed), unreliable electronics, pathetic build quality, and premature wear of key components.

Those would be the only thing I would shop for in a 2020. To heck with the lipstick and mascara. The van already looks great!

·
Registered
938 Posts
What rattle and premature wear of what components?
From this post https://www.odyclub.com/threads/rattle-noise-on-acceleration-revisited-9-speed.347853/
and various reports of people having complete brake jobs after low mileage. There are a few posts about that.

I have 20,000 km on mine and have already had the serpentine circuit replaced. In the words of the mechanic at Honda who performed the repair, "It looks like it has 100,000 km on it. No way it should have worm out that fast."

·
Registered
257 Posts
The ZF-9spd has been a topic of complain here and over at the Piloteers forum.
Honestly, I cannot read threads (similar to what you posted above) without getting frustrated and giving up, thus missing valid points. I get the frustration on your part, but it is the constant bickering that gets me. I am sorry if that offends you, but every other response on the tread flows like a conversation among a couple of guys turned down for a date.

I believe Honda Canada is operating differently than Honda America. Not the technical name, but you get my thought here. Over at the Honda Ridgeline forum (ROC), early production models, 2017, had a slew of quality control issues and they were fixed, left overs in 2018 were addressed, and the 2019s are going rather well. Direct injection on a J-series is a new architecture and though the recall for that 'whining' pump is a machining process, I am glad they went forward with a recall that included the pump and injectors as well. Many who have had such issues have gotten it fixed on vehicles that share that engine. Cannot comment on anything from the Acura line up using the Y5 and Y4 variants of the J25.

To me, that video sounds like an accessory was not bolted down right and your dealer removing the serpentine belt and driving the car around the lot is just a problem waiting to happen as the battery is not seeing any voltage input and the charging controller is not seeing any voltage out of the alternator and yet the coil packs are firing.

My 10-spd had no issues before the recall work, or even now. I have over 25K miles on the van and it is only 13 months old. Trust me, Honda gets word of all we discuss and they do make strides to fix and change what they can. The 2020 Ridgeline is slated to get the 9-spd and I hope that they will be problem free, we will see.
The 2020 Odyssey is getting the 10spd, and I am confident that with the fixes done over the last 2 years, the programming out the factory floor on these 10spd, should be fine.

My request to all members, please curb your frustrations in every thread and if you need to discuss or 'vent' your aggravation, start a new thread. There is 'clutter' in every other thread about the same thing; it is becoming very discouraging. This community is running on just two moderators and cleaning up of threads, with the new forum software, is not easy considering we have over 268,000 members and almost 830,000 posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup. I picked up these differences from the site on the trim level breakdown.
Unfortunately, I went to a dealership in houston to test drive a 2020 Odyssey EX-L. I only can see the "acoustic" marking on the windshield. There is no specific acoustic marking on the other windows.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Unfortunately, I went to a dealership in houston to test drive a 2020 Odyssey EX-L. I only can see the "acoustic" marking on the windshield. There is no specific acoustic marking on the other windows.
Looks like you are correct >> https://hondanews.com/releases/2020-honda-odyssey-specifications-features?query=2020+honda+odyssey&content_types[]=releases

The build menu available for the 2020 Models said otherwise, but I would go with the official release from Honda, as opposed to the configurator on the web.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I could see, below are some of the differences (for 2020)
  • 10spd in all trims
  • EX-L gets 26.5mm Solid front & 20x3.5mm tubular rear stabilizer bar (2019 Touring and Elite had this spec)
  • EX-L & Touring get Elites Acoustic Front and Rear door glass
  • Rear window defroster with timer are all trims (none of the 2019 trims had the 'timer')
  • EX-L: available seat back pockets (front row)
  • EX-L: bundled Navi and RES as one item (two different in the '18 &'19)
  • Available 25th Anniversary Package in all trims
  • Available Engine block heater
ADD:
  • new Platinum White Pearl replaces previous White Diamond Pearlcolor (new white is crisper, pure white metallic vs the ivory tone of previous years)
  • new Logo Pattern Projector accessory option
  • and here's one that I haven't seen listed anywhere... the transmission reverse button is now concave at the top where it meets your finger vs the flat surface of previous years.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
17 Participants
skelzer
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing