Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2020 EX-L (my fourth!) certified pre-owned.

The sales guy tried to sell me an ATF cooler as I had asked about Honda's warranty exclusion policy on towing. After a quick search, I declined as I couldn't find ANY ATF coolers for the 5th Gen Ody as well as the transmission thread here that states none needed.

The sales manager told me if I had any transmission issues and the service dept saw I had a hitch they could decline the claim.

I am looking for anything official from Honda on this - the owners manual gives towing capacity and load requirements but no warranty exclusions

Sad to say I was pretty un-impressed by this sales team - the dealership used to be a solid place but with the shortages in inventory they are super arrogant.

Anything I can point to?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,392 Posts
This is a click bait title.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Not intended to be "click bait" - I added a ? to the end of the thread title
Thanks.

For your question, if he's threatening to void your warranty - point out that they CPO certified it with the hitch installed, so they weren't concerned with it then.

The mere presence of the hitch is not proof that you or the PO were towing anything. People can have that on there for bike racks or for steps to reach their roof top boxes.

Remind him about Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

If you're dead set on this dealer, talk to the service manager and ask if there is any truth to that. You'll never have to deal with sales on this question again.

If they say yes - have them remove the hitch as a condition of the sale.

Hope it helps. Best of luck on your purchase!

Reactions: surfsalterpath

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is from Bernardi Parts website for the 2018+ tow hitch. I would either remove the hitch or add a cooler. Avoid a potential headache in the future. The dealer can always say you towed more than 1k and you will have to prove you did not (maybe log every mile you drive with a rear camera showing that you never did…sounds like a PITA).
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is more related to the dealer not being allowed to void your Infotainment warranty because you put on a tow hitch and towed more than 1k without a cooler.

Refer to your Owner's Manual for vehicle towing capacity. Honda's policy is to void a new vehicle warranty if they determine that damage to the vehicle was caused by towing in excess of 1,000 pounds without the required coolers.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
I would either remove the hitch or add a cooler.
As mentioned, there's no auxiliary ATF cooler available for the OP's 2020, neither OEM nor aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Refer to your Owner's Manual for vehicle towing capacity. Honda's policy is to void a new vehicle warranty if they determine that damage to the vehicle was caused by towing in excess of 1,000 pounds without the required coolers.
That's a generic statement for a couple of reasons.

1. Like mentioned above, no cooler is available for the 10 speed as its already designed to tow up to weight specified for the vehicle.
  2. 2020 Odyssey of any trim is rated for 3,500 lbs towing and they all come with 10 speed transmission.
That transmission is very well tuned from the factory so if anything, installing an aftermarket cooler may mess with it enough to cause problems and would be more likely to void your warranty.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topaz Metallic
279 Posts
Just checked the Hayden automotive online parts catalog, they DO make transmission coolers that fit the 2020 Honda Odyssey. Here is the ecatalog you have to plug in the year, make, model, and engine a few times.

Strange that the websites like etrailer and carid don't have these pop up as being compatible.

There are probably other aftermarket ones that are compatible, but Hayden products have been recommended AND installed by many odyclub members.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coolers from Hayden don't look specific at all - those are the same they have for the 201.

This is my issue - I really want an official statement - I am going to take the manual as the official word - if they wanted you to run a cooler with the load specified they should have put that in the manual. As it is printed I need to make sure I only tow with the weight and # of passengers in the car per the load

I am not looking to tow a HUGE load - just a small boat about a mile down the road.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
The sales manager told me if I had any transmission issues and the service dept saw I had a hitch they could decline the claim.
That's an old and irresponsible scare tactic.

From many years on the forum, I don't recall even a single post about a warranty claim denied because of either having a hitch installed or towing beyond the spec limits.

This applies even through Gen 2 when transmissions were being replaced multiple times under warranty.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
The coolers from Hayden don't look specific at all
Yeah, none of these would work.

The 10-speed has no external ATF lines into which to connect any make of auxiliary cooler.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,084 Posts
Definitely call this sales manager out on this. Make him justify his pack of lies to the service manager, and then let the two of them fight it out. If it turns out there is a clause that says they can void the warranty from overloading, then ask them why the sales manager didn't say that in the first place. He basically called you an incompetent, bumbling fool for buying the car. He's also saying that Honda customers should not buy any used or new Honda if the intention is to tow something.

If it were me, I'd be marching into the owner's office and demand an explanation as to why he or she hires sales managers who are encouraged to insult customers. If you do that, prepare for an avalanche of verbal backpedaling by all concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Your ODY has a 10 speed Honda transmission correct? @davedrivesody is saying their is no external transmission oil lines to attach to. The picture I've included shows on it the transmission engine coolant lines that goes internal to the transmission and allow the transmission oil to go through this heat exchanger. This is done to help heat up the transmission oil and when ti gets warmer than the engine coolant, the coolant cools the transmission oil temperature back down. This helps fuel economy as it meets the running temperatures to operate for peak efficiency. I will include a link as well to YouTube video you can use for the dealer to see as well as this picture I modified by text and circling transmission oil plugs.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Engineering Machine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your ODY has a 10 speed Honda transmission correct? @davedrivesody is saying their is no external transmission oil lines to attach to. The picture I've included shows on it the transmission engine coolant lines that goes internal to the transmission and allow the transmission oil to go through this heat exchanger. This is done to help heat up the transmission oil and when ti gets warmer than the engine coolant, the coolant cools the transmission oil temperature back down. This helps fuel economy as it meets the running temperatures to operate for peak efficiency. I will include a link as well to YouTube video you can use for the dealer to see as well as this picture I modified by text and circling transmission oil plugs.
Love this - thanks for the video and highlights.

So back to the question - if this already has a pre-warmer/cooler built in - adding in a specific cooler would likely take the temps out of spec - regardless Honda doesn't sell one for this vehicle so it's moot - I read the warranty and extended warranty - the only clause is they won't cover repairs as a result of overloading the vehicle outside of the specs in the manual. So remember you can only have 2 people in the front of the van when towing 3500 lb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely call this sales manager out on this. Make him justify his pack of lies to the service manager, and then let the two of them fight it out. If it turns out there is a clause that says they can void the warranty from overloading, then ask them why the sales manager didn't say that in the first place. He basically called you an incompetent, bumbling fool for buying the car. He's also saying that Honda customers should not buy any used or new Honda if the intention is to tow something.

If it were me, I'd be marching into the owner's office and demand an explanation as to why he or she hires sales managers who are encouraged to insult customers. If you do that, prepare for an avalanche of verbal backpedaling by all concerned.
I would love to call this guy out - he also tried to tell me it's a CVT not a real transmission, had no idea the 2022's were out, threw on some mats into the price but didn't even add up the numbers correctly, tried to tell me he would throw in 2 oil changes as a loyal honda customer (they are included in the certified pre-owned deal)

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,084 Posts
I would love to call this guy out - he also tried to tell me it's a CVT not a real transmission, had no idea the 2022's were out, threw on some mats into the price but didn't even add up the numbers correctly, tried to tell me he would throw in 2 oil changes as a loyal honda customer (they are included in the certified pre-owned deal)
Somebody had to come last at the Honda marketing seminar :ROFLMAO:!

·
Registered
2022 Honda Odyssey Touring
26 Posts
Just tow around whatever you want. Then if the trans sh!ts the bed, remove the trailer hitch before having the van towed to the dealer for a new trans under warranty.

😂

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They count on instilling FUD to sell something additional that's to give you "peace of mind". If the OM section that says you can tow does not include language requiring a cooler, you don't need no frickin' cooler to have a valid warranty claim. They don't get to play gotcha' by making material omissions. That's dishonest.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think the salesman is a jerk.

I‘d call his bluff, and say sure, I’ll buy the ATF cooler, can you have a tech show me how he’d even connect it?

Second, if you’re towing a little fishing boat a mile down the road, and it’s under 3,500lbs, you’d actually have to have the transmission fail for any of this to even piss you off.

People use tow hitches to mount bike racks all the time. The burden of proof is on Honda to prove that you tried to tow a motor home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That was a great video, I'm more impressed with the 10spd until (if) it breaks.

Title seems fine to me, I clicked on it and didn't feel baited.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts