Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and a new Odyssey owner. I've had my van approximately 3 months and yesterday I noticed I had a crack on my windshield. Where is the best place to get it down other than Honda? Or do I have to take it to Honda since it's a new NEW car.? I dont want to get ripped off and I'm concerned about the recalibration of the camera. What should I do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess the first question would be was the windshield crack due to some object hitting the windshield? Or its a manufacturing defect( maybe something like a bad batch of windshield, poorly installed at factory etc) If you suspect the latter then you definitely should start with dealer.. Infact i think it wouldnt hurt to start with dealer... I dont think they would charge you for looking/diagnosing it..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would be very weary about installing an aftermarket windshield because of ACC and LKAS system. I believe the sensors need to be recalibrated as well after new windshield install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a crack from a pebble last week on my month old 2020 ody. my insurance has me go through safelite. When I talked to them on the phone I said I wanted oem glass. They said no problem. They have it on order. When the guy calls I will confirm they got the right part.

i May need to go to the dealer for calibration of the front sensors but some auto glass places can do that too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Go to Honda and through you insurance. I am assuming something hit the windshield or did the crack start from the edge without any impact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
I loved my 2010 VW, 10 yrs ago, with Ross-Tech VCDS cable, I was able to legally do all sorts of calibrations (rain sensor, light sensor included) and change default settings and perform resets (even to the transmission control module to identify issue with tranny or just the software). I was able to see which problem started when (date and km) and how may occurrences with all error codes. etc.

I wonder if similar tool exists at an affordable prices for Hondas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here.. a rock hit my windshield.. I called my insurance and they also said go thru satelite.. still have to call the dealership for a quote with calibration and all that jazz....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same here.. a rock hit my windshield.. I called my insurance and they also said go thru satelite.. still have to call the dealership for a quote with calibration and all that jazz....
Safelite will calibrate here in Missouri and the aftermarket glass looked just as good as the OEM.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and a new Odyssey owner. I've had my van approximately 3 months and yesterday I noticed I had a crack on my windshield. Where is the best place to get it down other than Honda? Or do I have to take it to Honda since it's a new NEW car.? I dont want to get ripped off and I'm concerned about the recalibration of the camera. What should I do.
If it is a small crack, you can fix it yourself for under $20. I did a couple of windshields this past summer and I am happy with the results. I used https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-600001-Windshield-Repair-Kit/dp/B00IPS4APU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=31XG5JQHIMDTL&keywords=rainx+windshield+crack+repair&qid=1575476280&sprefix=rain+x+windshield+crack+,aps,127&sr=8-4 . One tip I learned after doing the first windshield is to use a hair dryer on the backside of the windshield to get the fluid to flow better into all the tiny crevices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine done by Safelite. Didn't have to take it anywhere. They just came to my office and fixed it. Insurance covered the cost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had mine done by Safelite. Didn't have to take it anywhere. They just came to my office and fixed it. Insurance covered the cost.
Safelite didn't have the calibration equipment to do my 2014 Accord, had to get it done at the dealership, what a cluster to get the insurance company in line with the requirements for re-calibration. They HAD to use OEM glass on my Accord.
Make sure your insurance company will pay for OEM glass, and if in fact the aftermarket will work.....good luck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Every one of my Odysseys has had a crack that's needed replacing. Honda just uses thinner cheap glass. My other cars, gets pits but never full on cracks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Safelite didn't have the calibration equipment to do my 2014 Accord, had to get it done at the dealership, what a cluster to get the insurance company in line with the requirements for re-calibration. They HAD to use OEM glass on my Accord.
Make sure your insurance company will pay for OEM glass, and if in fact the aftermarket will work.....good luck.
OEM glass should not require calibration, you should only need to recalibrate if glass is different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts