Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2020 Honda Odyssey Elite with less than 2k miles.

Tonight after filling the gas and coming home I noticed the steering wheel noise. Please see the video below. Can someone guess what could be wrong? We don’t drive it often and sits in the garage

Appreciate the help!

Edit:
I had to edit this post due to some misconception of the symbol on my steering wheel. Yes, it’s the swastika. But it’s the Hindu religion one, symbol of Peace. See image below for reference.
8B7415A5-4BA0-4E89-9338-9E4425AAB17E.png

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Sorry, but the last thing I'm going to do is help someone who paints a swastika on their steering wheel. Your video should probably be removed, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but the last thing I'm going to do is help someone who paints a swastika on their steering wheel. Your video should probably be removed, in my opinion.
I’m Hindu. So in my religion when a new car is purchased we do this symbol and it means peace.
Here is a link to Wikipedia for some knowledge in the future so you don’t look like an idiot. Swastika - Wikipedia

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Maybe so, but I'm sure it's not news to you that in the western world, for the last 80 years, it's a symbol of hate and racism. Posting it on a predominantly western Internet board you'd have to be an idiot to think people wouldn't be offended. It would not be an overreach to assume you would know much better of it's dual meaning than would most people here know of it's meaning in Hindu.

Probably would have been a good idea to put a post-it note over it before posting the video here.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Besides, your 2020 Ody is under warranty. Why not take it in and have them take a look at it? You might explain to them about the meaning of your symbol painted on your steering wheel, or remove it, before your car ends up in the hands of a technician who doesn't know you're Hindu.

To me, it sounds like the clockspring or something else in the column is creaking. That's where I'd look first. That's not something you're going to want to try and tear apart on a vehicle that's under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People (like you did) can assume whatever they want and if they get offended after they’ve made an assumption, they’re lacking more than just the knowledge and meaning of it. It’s 2020, I don’t need to do anything to cover up symbols of my religion on my video in my car. I’ve had my cars in many shops in the hands of many technicians. This is a first. Clearly, because you decided to jump to conclusions that it’s still the Hitler era and that I’m seeking for help on my new minivan from the Western world. Like I said it’s 2020. Get with the decade.

Saw your second post. I appreciate the help! That’s what I’ll do. My message up top is not with ill meaning but to get a point across. I come in peace. And it’s a right, as anyone else’s, to stand up for themselves.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
... My message up top is not with ill meaning but to get a point across. I come in peace. And it’s a right, as anyone else’s, to stand up for themselves.
You called me an idiot because I didn't know of some Hindu practice that uses what is, unfortunately, an International symbol of hate and racism and didn't know you're Hindu. That's pretty ill-meaning. How would I know that you were Hindu? You could have explained the symbol and your religion in your first post yet you chose not to. You likely knew it would draw controversy. Nobody here knows who you are...you joined 1 hour ago. It will likely always be a Hitler era and you should respect that, just as I did when you explained your symbol's meaning.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Are the parking breaks on? Can’t tell if this noise is from
Breaks/shocks (sometimes the dealer forgets to remove foam from the shocks that’s placed during shipping) or maybe it’s Coming the actual steering column. Shake the car without moving the steering wheel and see if you can hear it. In either case, that should be check by dealer.

By the way, assuming you are Hindu not a Nazi (notice the swastika on the steering wheel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
People (like you did) can assume whatever they want and if they get offended after they’ve made an assumption, they’re lacking more than just the knowledge and meaning of it. It’s 2020, I don’t need to do anything to cover up symbols of my religion on my video in my car. I’ve had my cars in many shops in the hands of many technicians. This is a first. Clearly, because you decided to jump to conclusions that it’s still the Hitler era and that I’m seeking for help on my new minivan from the Western world. Like I said it’s 2020. Get with the decade.

Saw your second post. I appreciate the help! That’s what I’ll do. My message up top is not with ill meaning but to get a point across. I come in peace. And it’s a right, as anyone else’s, to stand up for themselves.
He didn’t know, my Hindu Neighbor got his car vandalized few years back and home windows broken because of a hanging swastike under the mirror so just be careful about that particular religious symbol. It’s also a symbol of extreme hate you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@John Clark I understand where you are coming from. 👍🏼 Either way, thanks!
@digitalextremes thanks for taking the time and helping. Pretty sure it’s not the foam. It’s something that just started happening. Seems like my best option is to just let the dealer handle it.

·
Super Moderator
13,551 Posts
Great we have gotten over this. I too am Hindu and we too draw it every year during Diwali time and when we get a new car. That said, we do clean it off in a day or four as its more difficult to explain things if I take my car for lunch and give coworkers a ride. It used to be a good luck symbol across the world including the west till Hitler took it and used it. Yes. Us Hindus have equal rights but like the other post, many in the west do not know and some can be motivated to do property damage out of lack of knowledge. So, being safe than sorry works better for my family in particular. Also, in addition, my mom and grandma always taught us that our Gujarati Hindu symbol was reverse of Hitler's and obviously was straight and not rotated like the Nazi one. But apparently, both the right and left one are correct.

As to the noise, I too felt like it was more like a suspension creak.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
To get to the bottom of whether it's supension or steering column creak try listening outside the car close to the wheels and see if the noise is there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: issue has been resolved on its own. The next day the noise was gone. Not sure how but it’s gone.

I genuinely appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions on what to look for in this issue.

I will definitely come here for help in the future. Also, I’m glad we got the swastika issue out of the way and more people in this forum can gain some knowledge from this. Most importantly, to never assume and always to think good of people first. Otherwise, ask. Only because that’s what I would do and anyone on the other side would want.

Thank you, @John Clark @dvpatel @digitalextremes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update: issue has been resolved on its own. The next day the noise was gone. Not sure how but it’s gone.

I genuinely appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions on what to look for in this issue.

I will definitely come here for help in the future. Also, I’m glad we got the swastika issue out of the way and more people in this forum can gain some knowledge from this. Most importantly, to never assume and always to think good of people first. Otherwise, ask. Only because that’s what I would do and anyone on the other side would want.

Thank you, @John Clark @dvpatel @digitalextremes

That is 100% the sound I had on my 19 Odyssey Elite. This is something you probably want the dealer to fix -- not because of a horrible crash or something but more because it is just probably easier for them to do it than a DIY.

Take it to the dealer and have them look at this post:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts