Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If given a choice, would you still buy 2020 Odyssey despite having small/big issues that floating around? I have read the detail report on Consumer Reports and its very disappointing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, we did still buy it. Just remember, even if it's only a small fraction of people that have the problem - they'll proclaim it loudly on every platform available. Those of us that have zero issues with them drive them happily.
If given a choice, would you still buy 2020 Odyssey despite having small/big issues that floating around? I have read the detail report on Consumer Reports and its very disappointing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would suggest wait for newer model of toyota sienna if possible.
or wait for 2021 refresh of honda
or just buy 2020 as most of complaints are for transmission of lower trim of previous year which is now eliminated completely from 2020 line up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
OP. Consumer Reports. Red flag. If it were me, of course I would not buy Odyssey. Check out Sienna.
Why reward a manufacture that is getting lazy and living on "past" quality reputation.:(

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’ve struggled with this too, for about 6 months. In some ways this forum is a blessing and a curse, as I do think it’s a relatively small group of vans with issues. I was all set to buy a 2019 then got scared off. Now we are shopping the 2020’s.

At the end of the day, I still want a van and I don’t like the other options. If it’s a disaster, we’ll sell within 3 years before the warranty is up and get something else. Hopefully that won’t happen.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Check out the Pacifica. You don't know how de-contented an Odyssey is until you see what the competition offers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Toyota was my first choice. Honda's sliding second row seats were the deciding factor.

Waited for the 2020 because of the horror stories of the 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To answer the OP, yes. We've only owned our 2020 for a month but are loving it.

Decide what's most important to you and diversify your decision making sources. Some examples:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check out the Pacifica. You don't know how de-contented an Odyssey is until you see what the competition offers.
I checked out Pacifica, Odyssey, and finally checked out Sienna. Loved Odyssey after checking it out. 2020 EX-L has everything we wanted and then some. Including the 10 speed transmission.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is a very good question. Reliability is high on CR's list of priorities. Many other publications do not have data to objectively evaluate reliability.
CR is one of the few car review publications that does not accept advertising. Most other car reviewers have other items as higher priorities. Styling, handling at higher than normal speeds and 0-60 times come to mind. Free lance writers have getting the next job as a priority. Publishers definitely have keeping the publication financially alive as a priority. As a buyer, decide what matters to you. KBB and US News take advertising as do car magazines. It is hard to believe praises written by car reviewers who receive advertising dollars. Salesmen always have an excuse for everything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is a very good question. Reliability is high on CR's list of priorities. Many other publications do not have data to objectively evaluate reliability.
CR is one of the few car review publications that does not accept advertising. Most other car reviewers have other items as higher priorities. Styling, handling at higher than normal speeds and 0-60 times come to mind. Free lance writers have getting the next job as a priority. Publishers definitely have keeping the publication financially alive as a priority. As a buyer, decide what matters to you. KBB and US News take advertising as do car magazines. It is hard to believe praises written by car reviewers who receive advertising dollars. Salesmen always have an excuse for everything.
While I agree with most of your post, it's pretty hard to talk about reliability of a 2020 vehicle while it's still 2019 outside. 😁

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd buy another Ody, still probably bitch about the flaws but I like it better than the other options. The 21 update is tempting.

If you wanted to see really bad look at an un-updated / recalled 18 Ody.

·
Registered
319 Posts
While I agree with most of your post, it's pretty hard to talk about reliability of a 2020 vehicle while it's still 2019 outside.
That’s true. When I bought our 19 consumer reports was still giving it a reliable review... things change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in South Florida where effective AC is a high priority. Ever since they removed the rear AC unit in 2018 and newer, I have been concerned that the front AC piped to the back might not be adequate. I am still trying to get some good answers on how good or bad the new AC system works. If you have any info on the AC, please post. The 2020 models should resolve the transmission issues. Consumer Reports evaluation advising against buying put me off too. Meanwhile, I test drove the Sienna but found it very dated and suspension seemed to have too much body lean in turns. While the Chrysler minivan looks great, I don't have any confidence in their reliability especially their transmissions. As a result, I am still driving my 2009 while I otherwise would have purchased a new mini van in 2018. I don't know how much longer I can wait- depends on how well the 2009 holds up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts