Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2020 in Dec 21 with 22,000 miles. First trip up north I noticed a very heavy vibration when braking
at 65+ going downhill. Barely notice it when braking in the city or even at higher speeds on flat roads. I'm guessing it's a rotor issue? I'm reading that Honda OEM rotors are not that great. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this issue?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Swapping rotors is a way of life with many car brands. If you have a ratchet wrench and a few sockets you can save a lot of money. 4 bolts and 1 screw per side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Purchased a 2020 in Dec 21 with 22,000 miles. First trip up north I noticed a very heavy vibration when braking
at 65+ going downhill. Barely notice it when braking in the city or even at higher speeds on flat roads. I'm guessing it's a rotor issue? I'm reading that Honda OEM rotors are not that great. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this issue?? Thanks in advance!
I replaced front rotors 2 times already on my 2018 Elite. I currently use ShopTech 'drilled & slotted sportstop' rotors. They are a little pricey, $250 each. Stopping is a lot quicker and smoother.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced front rotors 2 times already on my 2018 Elite. I currently use ShopTech 'drilled & slotted sportstop' rotors. They are a little pricey, $250 each. Stopping is a lot quicker and smoother.
I have 2019 Elite with 22,000 miles with same issue downhill vibration. Been looking at alternative to Honda rotors and pads and hadn't seen any reviews of drilled and slotted rotors after some significant miles on an Odyssey. How many miles have you put on them? How many trips with downhill braking? Are they noisy and how's the brake dust? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
250 Posts
While it isn't a solution to undersized brakes, if you do a lot of driving downhill then use the paddle shifters to downshift the transmission and let the engine do some of the work instead of just the brakes, it will really help to prevent overheating them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, today the dealer confirmed they were warped, not too badly, and they turned them under the 3yr/36 warranty.
That was surprising. I was expecting an estimate for brake work in which case I would have gone to my regular shop.
They feel good at the moment. Will give them a real test in a week or so. We'll see how long they last.

Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2019 Elite with 22,000 miles with same issue downhill vibration. Been looking at alternative to Honda rotors and pads and hadn't seen any reviews of drilled and slotted rotors after some significant miles on an Odyssey. How many miles have you put on them? How many trips with downhill braking? Are they noisy and how's the brake dust? Thanks in advance.
I have 110K miles on my Elite. The first replacement was at around 32K with EBC. It lasted about 60K when vibration started to surface. Tried to use the same EBC with no luck. EBC doesn't make the same rotors anymore. Autohance recommends StopTech. It is a quiet, smooth stop without biting hard and no brake dust. I still use Honda factory ceramic brake pads. After-market brake pads are very limited. Brake rotors started to warp going down on I-5 Grapevine and numerous times on CA-1 coastal highway. Also, I replaced the rear with EBC BSD slotted Sport rotors ($346 a pair).
The setup works well and I can tell the big improvement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
once i heard that on some odysseys the two brake 'pin' are diffferent and it is very easy to install one of the pin in the wrong way, even in factory. Then the incorrectly installed pin will cause uneven wear on the rotors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts