Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how the new 10 speed handles towing. In about 2 days I'm going to pick up a 2021 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 199DD (3150 dry). With all of our gear and us in the car we will be about at or under the GCWR of 8565 (wife is weighing everything...). We do have a weight distribution hitch, sway control and an electronic brake controller installed. Im assuming it must be an improvement over the 9 speed? I think our 2019 EX-L was rated for 3000lbs. Our planned trips are probably not going to be too much over 100-200 miles except for when we get it which will be about 300 miles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I strongly suggest you get a set of Timbren SES rubber 3,500 lbs springs that replace your regular bump stops. They would greatly help with sag and handling under full load.
You can find more info here: Timbren Industries SES for 2018-2020 Odyssey
Etrailer seems to have the best price on them, but may have to wait longer than ordering directly from them or one of their dealers. I ordered through 4 Wheel Parts store local to me.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had to Google those...pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. Supposedly with the weight distribution hitch I should be level with no sag but if it doesn't work as planned ill definitely order those.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tow a 1750lb pop up trailer. I opted to go for a hidden install on the trailer hitch, which isn't rated for weigh distribution. I get a decent amount of sag, but I load all of my camping gear into the trailer and it's not too bad. I've been considering either airbags or different springs in the rear...it tends to sag, even without the trailer.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh nice! I just got the paid version of the Car Scanner app from the play store and have my Bluetooth odb2 adapter hooked up. Have trans temps!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made the 350 mile trip! I believe it was about 3400 lbs and aside from trans temps it hauled quite well. So my app was giving me readings of 220 to a high of 230 the entire drive. It was also 90+ outside and hilly. Mainted 60-65 easily and once I got to flatter ground 65-70 with trans temps around 220. What I found interesting is trans temps were around 195-200 at idle. So not sure what temp sensor my app is actually picking up. Also the weight distribution hitch worked really well. I had it level but had to take it down a link because the shank was hitting the bumper. Even with the hitch not where it should have been it never hit the bump stops once. Lastly...it was pretty stable but if a semi flew by me at excessive over the limit speeds I did feel it but I'm hoping once the hitch gets readjusted it will be all good. So need another one. Overall...impressed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts