Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm a new Odyssey owner. Had a Sienna for the past 15 years and drove an Odyssey as a rental. When we got the lease, the sticker claimed gas mileage to be around 19/27 city/highway. I'm getting no where near that. The car computer shows around 13 to 15 in city and highway combined driving. I took the car to the dealer and they told me to manually calculate the mileage each time I go to the pump. I did so and got the same results as the car computer. We are taking the same exact routes as we did with the old Sienna but have to fuel more. Anyone having a similar issue with the gas millage?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I won't be bragging about my mileage either but wasn't the Sienna close?

I am coming from a '99 Sienna that ran like a top but got 17 hwy. My Tacoma truck gets the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I'm spending $50 to $100 more at the pump per month. Over a 2 year lease that's at least $1200 if not $2400. That's a huge difference. Even 13 mi per gallon vs even 17 is a huge 25% difference.

Also, I'm curious as to why it's so far from the estimate on the sticker. Maybe my van is defective. Or maybe they're lying on their numbers. I don't know about you, but I run on a shoestring and take all this into consideration when buying or leasing.

What average millage do you see on your van's computer? Does that match the mileage you calculate st the pump?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm getting 19. Driving habits do count a LOT but I have just faced the fact that SOME particular cars of a model are just thirstier than the average. (and conversely, some do better)

Can't argue with having to buy more fuel no matter what circumstances are but I suppose this is a good point of a lease. Could you switch to another vehicle for the difference?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only driven my 2020 around 450 miles but so far I've averaged about 19 MPG overall according to my calculations. That's majority suburban driving with some highway mixed in (something like 80/20). My previous Odyssey (a 2016) averaged 23 MPG over the 5 years I drove it, so the 2020 is not doing as well so far, but I haven't driven it enough yet to really draw any conclusions - the 2016 saw a higher percentage of highway miles.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Check your tire pressures? I just finished a tank right after installing a VCM disable device. I thought my mileage hit was worse than I was expecting. Well then I remembered I had had my van serviced. The rules, in California at least, is that a service place must check your tire pressures. The problem? Twofold: Every service guy, even at the dealer, just thinks every tire is supposed to be set to 32 lbs. Secondly, tire pressure specifications are for cold tires. Like stone cold in the morning or driven a mile or less. If the service center is checking warm or hot tires, they are setting them too low. I found 3 of mine at just 30 or a little less and one of them at 25. I am in the habit of going about 3-4 lbs. over the recommendation. My instant read is already way up. Still only 19 & change, but I am driving quite aggressively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts