Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have a 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Nav and have 24000 miles on it.

About 10,000 miles ago I started to feel a sensation in the steering column like a clicking or a loose tap/clunking -feeling- when going over bumps (especially in turns) or accelerating from a stop while turning. It just feels like something internal is loose - there's a quiet clunk and I can feel it through the steering wheel.

1st Service at the Honda Dealer: They tightened up the whole front end. Felt better - didn't hear or feel that sensation but started to another few k miles later.

2nd service at the Honda Dealer: They replaced both front wheel hubs and knuckles. They identified play in the hubs and said there's a bulletin about it. This did nothing. Still getting the sensation. This service took almost a week thanks to parts shortages. The Ridgeline RTL-E they gave me was awesome though...

Anyone else have this issue and found a way to address it? It's not a clock spring - I had that issue on my 17 Accord coupe... There's just something feeling loose in the front end and I don't know what it is or how to tell the dealer to look...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you purchase new from a dealer?

Could that steering column spline grease TSB in 2008 still be an issue in 2020?

2007 - 2010 All TSB
Yep bought it brand new in June 2020.

One would think the '08 was a completely different platform, and that Honda's engineers "fixed" those issues with the new generations....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tried the "trick" of unlocking the steering column pulling it in and out, raising it up and down several times and re-locking; and voila - that seems to fix the clunking noise ... for now! I'll tell the dealer about this when I go in for next oil change and see if they also zero in on this TSB solution as a possible permanent fix. This should narrow down the issues at the very least.

·
Registered
615 Posts
.... see if they also zero in on this TSB solution as a possible permanent fix ....
Please keep us informed of outcome.

We had to work thru this issue too. Difficult and confusing time. It seemed so random at first. Then all the time.

....pulling it in and out, raising it up and down several times...
Often this doesn't solve the issue. If so it's only temporary.

The only permanent fix is remove the shaft and apply the approved lube if you expect a long term solution.

I normally drive and did complain about random clunks and pops while driving and turning. No complaints now since I greased the shaft. Amazing what a little suitable grease properly placed will accomplish. Wife is happy too now. Though she rarely drives.
It's all smooth sailing now since the spline is lubed properly. No more clunky ride. :)

Reactions: DatOdyVan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all - I have a 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Nav and have 24000 miles on it.

About 10,000 miles ago I started to feel a sensation in the steering column like a clicking or a loose tap/clunking -feeling- when going over bumps (especially in turns) or accelerating from a stop while turning. It just feels like something internal is loose - there's a quiet clunk and I can feel it through the steering wheel.

1st Service at the Honda Dealer: They tightened up the whole front end. Felt better - didn't hear or feel that sensation but started to another few k miles later.

2nd service at the Honda Dealer: They replaced both front wheel hubs and knuckles. They identified play in the hubs and said there's a bulletin about it. This did nothing. Still getting the sensation. This service took almost a week thanks to parts shortages. The Ridgeline RTL-E they gave me was awesome though...

Anyone else have this issue and found a way to address it? It's not a clock spring - I had that issue on my 17 Accord coupe... There's just something feeling loose in the front end and I don't know what it is or how to tell the dealer to look...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it possible that new steering columns also do not have the proper lubrication? So the fix needed is just to properly lubricate? I was about to take my van back to ask the dealer about replacing the steering column. I don’t know if I want to do something that invasive if not needed. Recently had the control arms replaced and I think I have more noise now when going over rough pavement. But have noticed that sliding the steering wheel in and out occasionally seems to alleviate this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible that new steering columns also do not have the proper lubrication? So the fix needed is just to properly lubricate? I was about to take my van back to ask the dealer about replacing the steering column. I don’t know if I want to do something that invasive if not needed. Recently had the control arms replaced and I think I have more noise now when going over rough pavement. But have noticed that sliding the steering wheel in and out occasionally seems to alleviate this issue.

Before the steering column was replaced they had lubricated it twice and the noise would come back shortly after. If the dealer put my van on the lift the noise would also go away for a short time. I refuse to have to move my steering wheel for the noise to go away when I have spent so much money for this vehicle. When I go for my next service I am going to ask to see what lubricate they used when mine was replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone feel like they’ve had this issue fixed to their satisfaction? After most recent repairs, I’m back to where I started before the prior repairs with a slight popping or knocking primarily when making a right turn at speed, and when I assume the suspension is unloading slightly. This is better than where I was after last series of repairs.

Most recent repair included a new strut and strut top, I think? I’ll admit these invoices are hard to follow and there are other parts listed, but I think those are primarily to install the strut. Original repair had sway bar links replaced. I thought they told me they re-torqued the subframe bolts this last time around but I don’t see that on the invoice. Torn on whether to take this vehicle back again. Dealer has been accommodating, but I’m tired of making the trip and going without the vehicle for days while they diagnose, talk to Honda, wait for parts to come in, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts