Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have a 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Nav and have 24000 miles on it.

About 10,000 miles ago I started to feel a sensation in the steering column like a clicking or a loose tap/clunking -feeling- when going over bumps (especially in turns) or accelerating from a stop while turning. It just feels like something internal is loose - there's a quiet clunk and I can feel it through the steering wheel.

1st Service at the Honda Dealer: They tightened up the whole front end. Felt better - didn't hear or feel that sensation but started to another few k miles later.

2nd service at the Honda Dealer: They replaced both front wheel hubs and knuckles. They identified play in the hubs and said there's a bulletin about it. This did nothing. Still getting the sensation. This service took almost a week thanks to parts shortages. The Ridgeline RTL-E they gave me was awesome though...

Anyone else have this issue and found a way to address it? It's not a clock spring - I had that issue on my 17 Accord coupe... There's just something feeling loose in the front end and I don't know what it is or how to tell the dealer to look...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tried the "trick" of unlocking the steering column pulling it in and out, raising it up and down several times and re-locking; and voila - that seems to fix the clunking noise ... for now! I'll tell the dealer about this when I go in for next oil change and see if they also zero in on this TSB solution as a possible permanent fix. This should narrow down the issues at the very least.

·
Registered
529 Posts
.... see if they also zero in on this TSB solution as a possible permanent fix ....
Please keep us informed of outcome.

We had to work thru this issue too. Difficult and confusing time. It seemed so random at first. Then all the time.

....pulling it in and out, raising it up and down several times...
Often this doesn't solve the issue. If so it's only temporary.

The only permanent fix is remove the shaft and apply the approved lube if you expect a long term solution.

I normally drive and did complain about random clunks and pops while driving and turning. No complaints now since I greased the shaft. Amazing what a little suitable grease properly placed will accomplish. Wife is happy too now. Though she rarely drives.
It's all smooth sailing now since the spline is lubed properly. No more clunky ride. :)

Reactions: DatOdyVan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts