Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between these 2. I drove the Sienna and really didn't like it. My mpg on the 10 mile test drive was only 14.3 mpg, and I didn't drive it too hard. The 4 cylinder felt rough, and there's a pronounced half second delay when you hit the brakes pretty hard.

The Sienna gets slightly better crash test scores, though. Are there any engineers out there that have evaluated the raw data, and could compare the Odyssey and Sienna?

I'm comparing the 2020 Odyssey because our local dealer has offered me over $6k off MSRP on an EX-L since it's the leftover model year.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm torn between these 2. I drove the Sienna and really didn't like it.
The bold underlined statement would automatically disqualify the Sienna for me.

A huge number of years ago when I was young and single, I bought a Chevy 4 door sedan because of the price when I really wanted a 2 door hardtop. I felt dissatisfied every time I walked up to that car to drive it. ... A couple of years later I bought a Pontiac 2 door hardtop and I loved that car to death.

My lesson learned was never buy a car that you don't like. It will be a regretful experience for years.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
I have a hunch the Sienna's overall cost of ownership will be lower. Toyota's hybrid powertrain is very reliable, although I would expect to have to replace the battery once (or maybe twice) over the car's lifetime.

That being said... Toyota isn't offering any deals on the new Sienna. They don't need to, as it's a new model. The money you save upfront with the Odyssey can buy a lot of gas and maintenance. If you like it better, I don't see why not.

I would imagine you could do better than $6K off MSRP now that it's already 2021. Depends on inventory, though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Come on, 14mpg from a test drive? Probably you needed to reset the trip meter, as it sat idling during transit. Testers have been consistently been getting mid 30mpg.

BTW. Toyota is offering $1000 factory incentive and 1.9% financing.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Also possible the battery was run down so it was running on gas only.

In any case, a sample of one drive is too small to be meaningful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should try driving them both on the highway if possible. I would expect the L4 in the Sienna won’t be nearly as favorable on the road as the Odyssey V6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts