Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had read several threads and watched some youtubes on the process and figured I had it down, besides, my 2005 Odyssey has a similar sized filter although it was easier access.

I trimmed back the cover a few inches so nothing would be in the way and tried the metal filter pliers. Wow, really on there, kind of dented the bottom flange where the flutes are. Ok, I'm prepared, have the nylon filter that twists around until it grips and then put a 1/2" ratchet on it should do it. Couple of minutes later it isn't budging it, so I put some rough sandpaper inside the nylon and moved it up to the upper portion of the filter and started turning...and turning and struggling and it finally tore the nylon strap right in half. o_O

Now it is getting kind of serious, the filter is getting deformed and there is a small hole in the far side where the original filter pliers punctured it. So I get out my biggest channel locks which unfortunately are 10" and they won't bite enough...so I'm done for the night. Tomorrow morning I will remove the tire after I get some 12" channel locks and try to turn it loose. This is insane, who could have put that thing on so tight? I won't even discuss why they would make filters so delicate and thin-walled then put them in a spot so as to be almost impossible to get out without some arcane type of accessory.

If this doesn't work in the morning Honda is going to come get it and fix the issue but in the meantime I will probably be divorced since my wife was leaving Monday morning for a big national dog show with our dog, sigh.

In case you are about to say something pithy I'm 64 and have taken oil filters off my 2005 Ody for 16 years not to mention European cars where a madman decided where to put the oil filters so not my first rodeo, lol. I hope that 12" channellock pliers will find some bite and turn it a little...and I am taking back the oem Honda filter and will try to find something a little more substantial. Has anyone used a K&N or Bosch that seems sturdier?:unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I had read several threads and watched some youtubes on the process and figured I had it down, besides, my 2005 Odyssey has a similar sized filter although it was easier access.

I trimmed back the cover a few inches so nothing would be in the way and tried the metal filter pliers. Wow, really on there, kind of dented the bottom flange where the flutes are. Ok, I'm prepared, have the nylon filter that twists around until it grips and then put a 1/2" ratchet on it should do it. Couple of minutes later it isn't budging it, so I put some rough sandpaper inside the nylon and moved it up to the upper portion of the filter and started turning...and turning and struggling and it finally tore the nylon strap right in half. o_O

Now it is getting kind of serious, the filter is getting deformed and there is a small hole in the far side where the original filter pliers punctured it. So I get out my biggest channel locks which unfortunately are 10" and they won't bite enough...so I'm done for the night. Tomorrow morning I will remove the tire after I get some 12" channel locks and try to turn it loose. This is insane, who could have put that thing on so tight? I won't even discuss why they would make filters so delicate and thin-walled then put them in a spot so as to be almost impossible to get out without some arcane type of accessory.

If this doesn't work in the morning Honda is going to come get it and fix the issue but in the meantime I will probably be divorced since my wife was leaving Monday morning for a big national dog show with our dog, sigh.

In case you are about to say something pithy I'm 64 and have taken oil filters off my 2005 Ody for 16 years not to mention European cars where a madman decided where to put the oil filters so not my first rodeo, lol. I hope that 12" channellock pliers will find some bite and turn it a little...and I am taking back the oem Honda filter and will try to find something a little more substantial. Has anyone used a K&N or Bosch that seems sturdier?:unsure:
Well, I didn't realize posts are viewed before being allowed to show so never mind about the advice about filters, I used the Honda one. I got a 16" Visegrip Channelock monster and it took 5 seconds with the tire off to get it loose. I recommend if you have the slightest difficulty getting that filter loose or don't have some specialized tool that will fit the flutes then take off the tire, easy peasy then. I also don't recommend the nylong strap from OReilly's, lol. All done but that couldn't be a more unhandy place to put that filter unless you were wanting to drive business to the dealership, lol. The filter comes to an abrupt stop when you tighten it by hand, after that I just nudged it about a half-inch with a new strap wrench with stronger material and called it good. Photograph Automotive tire Gas Orange Electric blue Bag Luggage and bags Collar Jewellery Waist

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
Posts from members with very few posts get into "Awaiting Moderation" status if they edit them. You's was that same case as far as I can tell.

That said, there is an actual oil filter wrench Honda and other after-market companies sell which may be something to look into but this may have been a one time fluke from the factory and you should not be having the same problem from here on out.

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posts from members with very few posts get into "Awaiting Moderation" status if they edit them. You's was that same case as far as I can tell.

That said, there is an actual oil filter wrench Honda and other after-market companies sell which may be something to look into but this may have been a one time fluke from the factory and you should not be having the same problem from here on out.
Thanks for the explaino on the post. I used to be here under another name but got got away for awhile and when I came back I couldn't figure it out and just started new :). I did see the post about the accessory but you are right it should never be on there that tightly again, whew!

·
Registered
578 Posts
The first one is the hardest. I have no idea who on the factory line is spinning them on, but torquing it down on top of that.

I always take the tire off, because I rotate them myself every oil change. Makes it 100x easier too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first one is the hardest. I have no idea who on the factory line is spinning them on, but torquing it down on top of that.

I always take the tire off, because I rotate them myself every oil change. Makes it 100x easier too.
I wouldn't doubt if they don't lube those gaskets. Maybe I was just relieved that it came loose, lol, but I think taking the tire off would have given me more access to putting the baggie around it, too. It wasn't quite the same, the first oil filter pliers punctured the filter so I had to let it drain overnight but there was still a lot of oil that came out after the 16" oil filter "wrench" solved things, lol. I may not be as thrilled down the line taking the tire off in a few years, lol, we shall see. A filter wrench that fits the flutes correctly with a little socket on it like the K&Ns and a ratcheting wrench would do the trick, too. I'd still be interested in finding filters that have an impressive micron rating with more robust structural strength since I trimmed the flap back some, I can see something flying up in there and damaging the filter, hmmm. May just make something removable, dunno, thanks for the responses, this was one for the books.

With regard to your rotation schedule, my wife drove this for the first several months primarily at highway speeds so it went a bit further than I normally would have gone before changing the oil the first time, and since my 2005 EX-L seemed to punish tires throughout its career even with a strict 4k rotation regimen I need to research the new ones to see how they treat tires. I have had two friends with 2010 and 2014 models and they said their vans also tended to wear tires more harshly than sedans, not sure if it was the weight up higher or what, odd thing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nuts! In the midst of our "Polar Vortex", whichever year it was somewhat recently, I did not want to do my own oil change in negative temps in preparation for a long trip. For the first time in God only knows how long, I brought my car to a local shop with good rep for an oil change, thinking I can trust someone else to change my oil just this once. so I did.

Next oil change time rolls around and I scoot under the car to see a partially rounded off drain plug head. Wrench can't touch it due to rounding. 12 point socket grabs it and I use my foot on the ratchet, lifting the car off the jack stands with each push, and still couldn't break it. I drove back up and asked them to just bust the plug loose and only snug it. They give me a new drain plug. No hassles and no arguments, very professional attitude.

At home once again, I drain the oil and move on to the filter. The filter was probably torqued to the same spec! My large channel locks couldn't even do it. By the time I did get the filter off, it was so mangled and twisted and torn that there was barely anything left of it.

My bad for trusting someone else to maintain my own standards.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I use my foot on the ratchet, lifting the car off the jack stands with each push, and still couldn't break it.
Wow! Getting the bear loosened is the immediate issue, but I wonder how many future R&R's have been subtracted from the life of the aluminum oil pan threads.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Elite white with beige interior
307 Posts
Guess I will take my 2022 to the dealer! darn it...hate paying the extra amount at a dealer

by the way - is it every 10K miles for an oil change in the 2022?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
113 Posts
Guess I will take my 2022 to the dealer! darn it...hate paying the extra amount at a dealer

by the way - is it every 10K miles for an oil change in the 2022?
Do your vehicle a favor and don't do 10k OCIs.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
91 Posts
Even with a steady diet of almost all highway driving, I haven't seen the OLM call for a 10K oil change on a 2019 Elite. Mostly highway miles seem to knock 10% off the OLM every 650-700 miles.

Similar experience on our other vehicles (2014/17/20 MDX) with almost the same 3.5L V6 engine.

Oil change intervals are dependent on many factors. 10K would be a good guess for highway driving.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wonder how many future R&R's have been subtracted from the life of the aluminum oil pan threads.
Surprisingly there was no damage, and it never leaked. I was able to walk away with nothing more than a lesson learned.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Elite white with beige interior
307 Posts
Do your vehicle a favor and don't do 10k OCIs.
My 2022 has 7750 miles on it - the maintenance minder hasnt come on yet? so thats why i was assuming its 10K miles at the first oil change?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
271 Posts
If you go through the menu on the dash, using the left buttons on the steering wheel: maintenance > oil life. It will tell you what percentage the oil life you have left.

I got to 8000 highway miles on mine before it showed 15%.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
113 Posts
My 2022 has 7750 miles on it - the maintenance minder hasnt come on yet? so thats why i was assuming its 10K miles at the first oil change?
Oh sweet sweet prince.

Technically Honda says 7,500-10,000. No thx Jeffs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
10k is pretty taboo to me, are they really expecting 10k oil changes to be sufficient in newer Odys?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
271 Posts
10k is pretty taboo to me, are they really expecting 10k oil changes to be sufficient in newer Odys?
With city driving, short trips and lots of idle, it will come much much sooner.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
10k is pretty taboo to me
That does seem like a long OCI to anyone accustomed to much shorter (and fixed) OCI's.

Only a laboratory oil analysis can tell with certainty if a particular van's MM oil life is too long or just right.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts