Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Odyssey first came out in 2018 I test drive it and although I liked it one of the features I was disappointed with was the lane keep assist system. It wouldn’t center the vehicle in the lane but rather bounce you between lines like in Pong. Well, today I test drive a 2021 and wow, what a difference. It follows very nicely in the center of the lane. I thought we’ll maybe the 2018 I drove had some bugs so I asked the dealer to drive a 2020 and it acted just Iike the 2018 I drove a few years back, ping ponging me between lines. The dash display fore safety sense is also different. All this makes me think there were substantial improvements to the lane keep assist system. I’m just surprised they didn’t market the lane centering feature more... have others had similar experiences? Thought?

·
Registered
229 Posts
When the Odyssey first came out in 2018 I test drive it and although I liked it one of the features I was disappointed with was the lane keep assist system. It wouldn’t center the vehicle in the lane but rather bounce you between lines like in Pong. Well, today I test drive a 2021 and wow, what a difference. It follows very nicely in the center of the lane. I thought we’ll maybe the 2018 I drove had some bugs so I asked the dealer to drive a 2020 and it acted just Iike the 2018 I drove a few years back, ping ponging me between lines. The dash display fore safety sense is also different. All this makes me think there were substantial improvements to the lane keep assist system. I’m just surprised they didn’t market the lane centering feature more... have others had similar experiences? Thought?
I can understand you thinking that. I own 4 (currently) 2018s. 2 of them drive like they’re on rails with LKA, and the others make you feel like a ping pong ball. I’ve had the exact same experiences with my 2 Ford Energies. One of them was amazing, and the other would make you sick with LKA.

·
Registered
278 Posts
our 2019 Ody Elite doesn't "ping pong". It actually is quite good, but I can imagine the 2021 has improvements - sensor tech, sensor location, software updates, processing power, etc.
My 2020 Maxima Platinum does bounce - and it has the "second-gen" system with Nissan SafetyShield 360. Should be called SafelessSh-t.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can understand you thinking that. I own 4 (currently) 2018s. 2 of them drive like they’re on rails with LKA, and the others make you feel like a ping pong ball. I’ve had the exact same experiences with my 2 Ford Energies. One of them was amazing, and the other would make you sick with LKA.
That’s really interesting... and concerning...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So today I went back to the dealership and asked to drive a 2020 and 2021 Odyssey again and got the same result using different vehicles than the first attempt. The 2020 did a lot of bouncing between lines and the 2021 centered nicely. Is it really possible this is luck of the draw or did they really improve the lkas on 2021...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just upgraded from a 2018 EX-L with NAV and RES to a 2021 Touring, and I've noticed the lane keep assist does a better job. I have it set to "normal", I don't remember if I ever changed it on the 2018. I just figured they had improved the system over the last few years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just upgraded from a 2018 EX-L with NAV and RES to a 2021 Touring, and I've noticed the lane keep assist does a better job. I have it set to "normal", I don't remember if I ever changed it on the 2018. I just figured they had improved the system over the last few years.
Thank you for that feedback.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts