Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 2021 touring for 3 weeks now and the MPG is horrible. 13.6 average. Current mileage is 445 and we are already have gone through a tank and a half.

Anyone notice the same?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Had the 2021 touring for 3 weeks now and the MPG is horrible. 13.6 average. Current mileage is 445 and we are already have gone through a tank and a half.

Anyone notice the same?
Honda made this Vehicle with a drive and learn engine, it will probably take up to 3-5 tanks for the computer to settle out and give you better gas mileage. Just be patient for this as this is normal, beides everyone has gone through it. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Are you in San Diego or St. Paul? Cold weather beats the stuff out of mileage, especially if you use that remote to make it toasty before you get in. Also, 150 miles per week doesn't sound like a lot of long trip highway mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you in San Diego or St. Paul? Cold weather beats the stuff out of mileage, especially if you use that remote to make it toasty before you get in. Also, 150 miles per week doesn't sound like a lot of long trip highway mileage.
I am in Massachusetts, there have not been any highway mileage yet just running errands but still low for that

·
Registered
842 Posts
What did the Ody replace?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,076 Posts
I am in Massachusetts, there have not been any highway mileage yet just running errands but still low for that
Then it's not too bad for city driving only in cold climate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
YES! I have the same issue... we have 5k miles on our 21 now, and it did NOT get any better. Northern Illinois here, so it's cold, but still, it's terrible MPG. I have yet to get 20 on any of the logs I've kept. I have tried switching econ on and off and it made no difference whatsoever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, and for us, our Ody 'replaced' a 2011 - we still have it, 230k and going strong. Got great MPG, 26 on average

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes gas mileage is bad. I don’t log it but seems like It doesn’t take much to cross halfway. I’m about 3300 miles in.

I’m used to vehicles with poor gas mileage just wish the tank were bigger.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
597 Posts

Anyone notice the same?
This is normal during the break in period. I was tripping out too at first as mentioned in my Ody Journey thread.

Give it some time to learn and settle in...

My best MPG was achieved at around 4-5K w/ ECO OFF! That thing is useless...

Most recent road trip... ECO OFF, 3 passengers, rear loaded with luggage etc... Tires +1 @ 37 psi, Costco 4% Cash Back Gas, Amsoil, Wix Air Filter and on cruise control going 70-75 MPH sometimes 80+...

Biggest advice, go check your alignment. My brand new Elite was wayyyy off when I took it in to get it checked at a few hundred miles... stupid thing was really off and I felt it right away.

Just because it's a brand new car doesn't mean that the alignment is good.

Also, the programming is terrible in Honduh's so in my Elite I'm always having to use the paddle shifter to put it into 10th, otherwise it hangs... annoying, but it has become a habit now to tap it into the proper gear when cruising.

Be patient.. your MPG should improve..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with @unlock42.

I have a 2020 and get at least 20 MPG in the city (Northern Jersey) and 30 MPG Highway easily according to the trip computer. Granted, I don't floor the accelerator.
I get at least 430 miles between fill ups when driving interstate. This matters because we stop at the same place when driving between Jersey and Chicago. My previous Ody, an 06 did the same but with a bigger tank, it had a 21 gallon tank. The current Ody has 19.5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
on average, I only get ~18mpg mixed city/highway, and 21-22 on the highway. it's definitely lower than expected, but at least it only needs 87 oct.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
52 Posts
We put a little over 2k on ours so far. Here's every fill up. Started off at 20.5 mpg, now averaging 22. Combination of Highway/City driving, I'd estimate about 50-60% highway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2020 EX I got on 8/1/20 doesn't do terribly well, I average 17-18ish in suburban driving. I find the trip computer runs about .5-1.0 mpg better than calculated. Idling just destroys the mileage, watch it tick down at a long traffic light not long after you reset the trip meter. Not a fan of idle start/stop as that just puts more stress on parts, the battery, it stops the heat/AC, no thanks.

My 2016 AWD RAV4 I traded in got low 20s in the same driving, I just chalk the difference up to a heavier vehicle and a V6 that has 104 more ponies, lol. I heard the difference in the engine as soon as I started the test drive van, V6 VS the 4 in the RAV.

Only one major road trip so far and resetting trip B just after getting onto highway it did top out just over 30 when I got off highway but after 20-30 min of non-highway driving it came down below 30.

I excluisvely use Top Tier gas from Costco and Conoco.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts